PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

jgillmanjr
07-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Just wanted to introduce myself as a newbie to the forum and say hello!

My name is Jason and I'm from around KLAN (from KTVC initially).

I've had my license for a few years now, but time and money constraints (just bought a house) have kind of kept my time to just under a hundred hours. Most of my time is in C150s or 152, but I do have a few hours of Rotary time in OH-58s.

I'm a geek for a living, but also as a Signal Officer for my Army Guard gig.

I've become more interested in the experimental side of the house, as a coworker of mine is in the process of building an RV-7. In fact, it gave me the idea to brainstorm ideas for developing an open avionics platform. Nothing really solid on direction, but it did make me go out and by and Arduino unit.

So, needless to say, I'll probably be asking and doing research on the avionics side of the house here.

Anyone else around the KLAN area?

WingsAloft
07-12-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm pretty new to aviation, myself. I'm near KDAN, similar in spelling to your airport, but on the other side of the continent!

Joe Delene
07-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Are you able to make it to Airventure this year? That's the place to do the research.

Green Goggles
07-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Welcome to the forum! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/11/11_2_104.gif

I am in similar shoes to you, I got my license about 4 years ago and have logged about 200 hours.
My time is all in a Mooney.

Welcome aboard.

jgillmanjr
07-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Are you able to make it to Airventure this year? That's the place to do the research.

Joe,

That is definitely on my to do list. This year won't work, as I'll be doing my Annual Training, but hopefully within the next couple of years. I have more than a few pilot friends who would love to go to Oshkosh.

martymayes
07-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Hey Jason, there's a very active EAA chapter in Mason at the KTEW airport, which is on the South side of Lansing. Might want to check it out.

Chad Jensen
07-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Hi Jason! Welcome to EAA forums! The RV-7 is a fantastic airplane...I built one, and it's awfully hard to beat for an all around airplane. Ask away, and hope to see you at AirVenture soon!

Eric Page
07-12-2012, 11:48 PM
In fact, it gave me the idea to brainstorm ideas for developing an open avionics platform. Nothing really solid on direction, but it did make me go out and by and Arduino unit.

Welcome to the forum, Jason. You should have a good time developing avionics based on Arduino. I've done a little microcontroller tinkering, but I've used PICAXE instead of Arduino, mostly because I don't know C!

Here's a thread you should read. It's about an open source airplane design, but there's some discussion about open source avionics as well. You might want to contact the guys involved.

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?484-Open-Source-Aircraft-Design-for-CNC&highlight=open+avionics

rosiejerryrosie
07-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Hi Jason, I just want to add my welcome to those you have already received. I spent 22 years in the Signal Corps so we have that in common also. Things have changed a great deal since I was in uniform (we were still actually using pigeons when I first entered service at Ft. Monmouth, NJ) - and I'll bet there is very little use of HF radio and 100WPM teletype anymore.
:)

jgillmanjr
07-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Hi Jason, I just want to add my welcome to those you have already received. I spent 22 years in the Signal Corps so we have that in common also. Things have changed a great deal since I was in uniform (we were still actually using pigeons when I first entered service at Ft. Monmouth, NJ) - and I'll bet there is very little use of HF radio and 100WPM teletype anymore.
:)

Jerry,

HF is definitely alive and well! Actually, I quite like it myself when you need to reach out and touch someone ;)

As for the teletype, yeah, that's kind of gone by the wayside. Now days, we're using CPN stacks with VoIP and Data over sat links.

rosiejerryrosie
07-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Jerry,

HF is definitely alive and well! Actually, I quite like it myself when you need to reach out and touch someone ;)

Yeah - I guess HF is in use as backup and by a number of HAMS, but not as primary like we used to use it. One of my best assignments was at a major relay station in Asmara, Etheopia - had links to France, Germany, The US, The Philapeans, South Africa, Turkey, Pakistan, Iran, Hawaii, and a few others I can't remember now. 40 KW SSB transmitters and acres of Rhombic antennas. - Now you can do almost as much with your iPhone...:)