PDA

View Full Version : Just got my tailwheel endorsement!

WeaverJ3Cub
07-06-2012, 06:26 PM
Hello fellow EAAers.....

I'm very excited. After 4.8 hours in a Piper Cub, I finally have my tailwheel endorsement! This is particularly exciting since I have been an enthusiast of the Cub since I was 5 or 6, but never thought I'd be able to actually fly an airplane, let alone a Cub. But today, it happened. (Dreams do come true, I guess.)

Here are two pictures. I trained at Red Stewart Airfield in Waynesville, OH with Dave Buchanan. This is a great little strip (and Dave's a great instructor). If you get a chance to fly in, don't miss it.

Now I'm looking forward to getting checked out in their Taylorcraft and 7AC Champ. Let the fun begin......I'll be putting in a lot of hours in the Cub in the next few months....

Hal Bryan
07-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Congrats! Flying a classic taildragger is among the most fun and rewarding things you can do as a pilot. Nice work, and thanks for letting us know!

rosiejerryrosie
07-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Congrats. Like a PPL is a licence to learn, a taildragger indorsement is a ticket to fun. Nothing like flying an uncomplicated airplane to get you in touch with aviation.

Bill Greenwood
07-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Flying/owning a J3 Cub is like owning a Golden retreiver, almost all wag and not much bark or bite, if you stay out of big windy days.

That is a nice Cub in the photo, but who put that Cessna prop on it? Real Cubs have wood props, except maybe ones on floats. Maybe that one has an electric starter, thus they don't hand prop it.

champ driver
07-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Congratulations!
You'll have a lot of fun in these older simple planes.
Be aware of, and respect the wind and you'll find that these little planes are for the most part pussy cats.

WeaverJ3Cub
07-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I appreciate it. Like rosiejerryrosie said, I feel like this is a license to learn all over again. I may have my endorsement now, but I'm still far from satisfied with where I am as a tailwheel pilot.

Bill, I'm not an expert on that plane....but I don't think that's a Cessna prop. We hand prop it, and having seen it up close, it looks like the metal props I usually see on Cubs. Again, I'm no expert on it. I agree, it is a nice plane. No upgrades, just the standard 65hp, 12gal tank, and no electric—just the way it should be!

I'd love to own one one day, but I think the only way that's going to happen is if I win the EAA raffle one. :)

WeaverJ3Cub
07-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Since we all love airplanes, and by extension, airplane pictures, I thought I'd add a few pictures of the planes we have here at Red Stewart Airfield (40I).....

In addition to the usual suspects (C150 and C172), there are several taildraggers available for rent...

Taylorcraft...

7AC Champ....that's a fun airplane. Hopefully my next checkout.

Another Cub, this one with 85hp....climbs like a rocket (alright, a Cub rocket then! :)

A Stearman....

And, owned by resident airshow pilot Brett Hunter, an MXS. A beautiful sight! (Needless to say, this one is NOT for rent! ;)

There's also a Citabria that they use for aerobatic training (no picture), and a Pawnee for glider tows.

It's a fun place. Lots of history, enthusiastic pilots, and friendly people. And they are the only grass strip I've ever found on a sectional that actually sells fuel. :)

Green Goggles
07-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Congratultions, most excellent! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_104.gif http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_30_105.gif

Tailwheel endorsement is next on my ticket. I have earned my private ticket, but nothing since then.
It seems that all the "cool" airplanes have a tailwheel, and now you've opened yourself up to flying all of them!

steveinindy
07-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Congrats and just let me say regarding the assortment of aircraft for rent in your area: you lucky duck! There's ONE tailwheel (an Aeronca) within an hour of here for rent that I have come across.

Tailwheel endorsement is next on my ticket. I have earned my private ticket, but nothing since then.

It's on my list too. I figure that tailwheel will make a nice follow-on to the instrument rating.

Frank Giger
07-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Champ FTW!

There's something magical about conventional gear that makes me want to just spend an hour doing nothing but touch and goes - going for that greaser three pointer, converting a botched one into...um, I mean working on wheel landings, pegging the spot aimed for and rumbling to taxi speed long before the first turn off, and slipping! Oh, how I love to slip!

WeaverJ3Cub
07-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Congrats and just let me say regarding the assortment of aircraft for rent in your area: you lucky duck! There's ONE tailwheel (an Aeronca) within an hour of here for rent that I have come across.

You're right, Steve! I expect to take full advantage of this opportunity....there aren't many places that I'm aware of where you can rent a Cub, let alone a Champ, Taylorcraft or Stearman. Only catch with all these is that the school doesn't carry ANY insurance on the planes, so to fly the Cub, for example, I have to carry $25k in hull coverage. But hey, it's worth it.

I agree, Frank! Nothing better. That's what flying was meant to be!

Don't worry, though. I still use the radio-equipped planes and land on pavement. I'm not totally gone! ;)

Flyfalcons
07-10-2012, 10:02 AM
You guys sure have some sweet airplanes for rent.

Bill Greenwood
07-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Weaver, I was just joking about that metal prop, hey if the owner wants 99% of his Cub, from the prop aft to look great, who cares about that funny looking thing on the front.
Seriously, I can bet you no land J3 ever came out of Wiilamsport with a metal prop. Not only does the wood one look great but many people think it is better and kinder on the hands for hand propping. Sort of like hugging a lady made out of flesh as opposed to one made of vinyl!
I think there is some thought that a metal prop may be less subject to erosion like for water takeoffs.
Man if you have access to all those planes, if you have the time and a little money go get a checkout in each type, probably a few hours in each will do.
Then when you are ready go get some Stearman training. When you are good in that you are REAL GOOD. I wish I had more Stearman time, hope to go back and do it some day.

By the way, that radio in the Cub won't really hurt you, if you don't turn the infernal thing on.

RetroAcro
07-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Agree that wood props look and feel better on Cubs, but metal performs significantly better...as on any airplane.

WeaverJ3Cub
07-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Yes, wood definitely looks better! I've always thought that the metal ones look slightly out of place.

Thanks for the tip, Bill. I'd love to get some time in the Stearman. It sure looks like a fun plane! Oh, and the Cub doesn't have a radio.....sorry I wasn't clear. But if it did, I wouldn't turn it on! :)

Thanks, "flyfalcons." It sure is fun just to stand around on a busy day and see all the different types that come in. And the Labor Day airshow is something to behold.

WeaverJ3Cub
07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
RetroActo, you mentioned that wooden props feel better on Cubs. Not having flown anything with a wood prop before, do you mind explaining how exactly they feel different?

RetroAcro
07-10-2012, 01:29 PM
RetroActo, you mentioned that wooden props feel better on Cubs. Not having flown anything with a wood prop before, do you mind explaining how exactly they feel different?

Feels better on the hands when hand propping! :-) Also with wood props, you generally feel less vibration in the cockpit, but this can depend on the prop.

Bill Greenwood
07-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Metal performs better? Not so sure about that. In a low powered airplane like a Cub, I'd bet there is not a nickels worth of difference between the performance of metal or wood props.

One of the highest performance type aircraft of WW II era, the late model Griffon Spitfires, with climb rates of almost 5000 fpm, and top speeds at 444 mph, use all wooden prop blades with of course metal hubs.

And I am not sure, but guess the Spiteful which is the post war derivative of the Spitfire also had wooden prop blades, and a top speed over 490 mph, the fastest prop fighter of all.

As for vibration , I have seen some wood props that were bad as well as some metal ones that were good. I think it depends on having the blades balanced correctly, both weight wise, as well as the blades all tracking true so they pull the same. One blade out can make a big shake.

The worst shake I have ever felt was in the Tri Motor doing rides last year at EAA. I tried to talk to the pilot, but he brushed me off with, "they all do that" which of course is not true. I hope they get it fixed, I think is borders on dangerous like it was, and at the least will lead to cracks around the engine.

nrpetersen
07-10-2012, 02:16 PM
The few wood props I've flown behind are noticeably quieter and have less ringing. Presumably the wood blades have better damping than metal, suppressing the engine crankshaft vs propeller torsional vibration mode. Typically this will be noise around about the 200 Hz frequency.

Metal props can be quickly wrecked by water spray too though. Water can filet the leading edge of seaplane in a few seconds in a seaplane.

RetroAcro
07-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Metal performs better? Not so sure about that. In a low powered airplane like a Cub, I'd bet there is not a nickels worth of difference between the performance of metal or wood props.

The difference is real and noticeable, but a metal prop is not going to turn a J-3 into a Super Cub. The long-time Cub guys indicate the same thing. This has been discussed at length on the Cub forum. There are pros and cons to each type (for any airplane), but wood will never be selected for efficiency. Have you ever flown Cubs with both wood and metal? I fly a wood-propped Clipped Cub that is upgrading to metal for a little extra performance. I'll try to get some good numbers when it's on.

It's impossible to make a wood blade as efficient as a metal one due to the relative weakness, grain separation, and flexibility of wood compared to aluminum. Wood must be thicker, especially near the tips, which prevents optimal airfoil design. Look at any comparable metal prop vs. wood - the leading and trailing edges are much more blunt with wood. Wood flexes much more and does not retain its pitch and shape as well as the rigidity of a metal prop allows for.

Even on aerobatic airplanes, metal props are generally more efficient than even composite props...and composite props are a step up in efficiency compared to all-wood, due to the fact that the wood-core composite prop is much stiffer than all wood, but not as stiff as metal. Even with composite props, the airfoil must be more blunt to retain strength and integrity. I've flown composite and metal props on my Pitts, and the metal is noticeably more effcient, even though the difference in performance does not make for a vastly different airplane. But here, the advantages of composite props generally outweigh the cons.

As far as vibration goes, wood has the potential to be smoother than metal, simply due to the vibration dampening characteristics of wood. Same with wood-core composite props. A good wood/composite prop is much smoother than even a perfectly balanced metal prop. I've experienced this in my Pitts. A wood prop being out of balance is a different issue, so ultimately, smoothness is limited by balance. But all things being equal, you will definitely experience less vibration with wood.

Bob Dingley
07-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Good work Weaver! As for the prop. I doubt that the 75 mph J-3 knows the difference. I learned to fly in J-3s (solo to PPL) and I sure couldn't detect any difference.

Bob

WeaverJ3Cub
07-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks guys for the explanation of wood vs. metal props. It's all new to me. Learning a lot on here. Thanks again. (RetroAcro, if that's your Pitts in your avatar photo, then congrats! Nice looking airplane...looks like fun too.)

Bob...thank you. Your mention of the Cub's speed reminds me, when I was out flying today I had both doors open and was getting ~71mph level at 2500'. Then, I decided to close the lower door to see what would happen, and I instantly accelerated to 76mph! I found that funny! Good lesson in drag.

As my instructor said while pointing out all 4 instruments on the dash: ".....that's your airspeed. If you're looking at that then you're in the wrong airplane....." :)

From the flight this morning.....

Dutch rolls, falling leaf stalls (pretty benign in the Cub compared to the Champ. Anyone else agree?), steep turns, and takeoffs and landings. Though they should probably be more properly called "arrivals and departures." ;)

nfdlpilot
07-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Weaver,
Thanks for sharing. I can't wait until I win the give away this year. I'll have to look you up!!

WeaverJ3Cub
07-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Weaver,
Thanks for sharing. I can't wait until I win the give away this year. I'll have to look you up!!

Whoa there! Hands off my plane! ;-)

Larry Lyons
07-13-2012, 10:01 AM
I take umbrage! That Cub is mine................:-)
Larry

Bill Greenwood
07-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Mentioning the words "Cub" and "speed" together is like putting "military" and "intelligence" together.

But "fun" and "Cub" are almost synonyms!

Sam Buchanan
07-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Bob...thank you. Your mention of the Cub's speed reminds me, when I was out flying today I had both doors open and was getting ~71mph level at 2500'. Then, I decided to close the lower door to see what would happen, and I instantly accelerated to 76mph! I found that funny! Good lesson in drag.

Why are you flying so high? Hold thumb and forefinger 1/4" apart....when the cows are that size you are 'bout right...... :)

The 300hrs I have in a 1940 J-3 is some of my most treasured flying. That plane taught me a lot about flying and how a simple aircraft can enhance the most basic flight instincts in a pilot. My Legal Eagle XL is now my ticket to low-n-slow.

Enjoy!

WeaverJ3Cub
07-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Why are you flying so high? Hold thumb and forefinger 1/4" apart....when the cows are that size you are 'bout right...... :)

The 300hrs I have in a 1940 J-3 is some of my most treasured flying. That plane taught me a lot about flying and how a simple aircraft can enhance the most basic flight instincts in a pilot. My Legal Eagle XL is now my ticket to low-n-slow.

Enjoy!

I totally agree, Sam. Thing is, I've heard so many horror stories of crotchety "landlubbers" taking pictures of "low flying" airplanes with their 400mm telephoto lenses and then reporting them to the FAA. Needless to say, the pilot gets in LOTS of trouble and isn't given the slightest benefit of the doubt (forget about multiple witnesses....). Ground level is about 1000' MSL around here.

So for me, I fly just high enough that my N-number isn't readable! :) It helps that this Cub only has one on the rudder....

—Samuel

Sam Buchanan
07-14-2012, 11:14 AM
I totally agree, Sam. Thing is, I've heard so many horror stories of crotchety "landlubbers" taking pictures of "low flying" airplanes with their 400mm telephoto lenses and then reporting them to the FAA. Needless to say, the pilot gets in LOTS of trouble and isn't given the slightest benefit of the doubt (forget about multiple witnesses....). Ground level is about 1000' MSL around here.

So for me, I fly just high enough that my N-number isn't readable! :) It helps that this Cub only has one on the rudder....

—Samuel

Don't waste much time worrying about "horror stories", most of them are like statistics, made up on the spot 96.45% of the time...... ;)

500' over sparse population, 1000' over congested areas and you are fine. As low as prudence will allow anywhere else.

Enjoy.

WeaverJ3Cub
07-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Don't waste much time worrying about "horror stories", most of them are like statistics, made up on the spot 96.45% of the time...... ;)

LOL!

I flew over my house at 600' AGL (we're out in the middle of nowhere) and it was a lot more fun down there. The view was actually better! You can see things!

N404CX
07-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Just got my tailwheel endorsement! Me too!!

When I got home from vacationing in Ohio, I clicked on What's New and found this thread. I thought Weaver had stolen my story. Same airfield, same plane, but I got my endorsement on 7/11/2012. My instructor was Joe (Land th' Plane!) Smith.

I'm nearing completion of my Thatcher CX4 and hadn't flown for 13 years, so I knew I needed recent experience and the TW endorsement. Stewart Aircraft was recommended as being a hard core, grass strip, school by other CX4 builders in Ohio. Since Red Stewart, there are three more generations of the family on the field, and the youngest, a boy of about seven, told me all about the family's cub and a "t-craft."

I don't think my instructor Joe ever wanted to say anything humorous (safety is his priority) but if he had, it might have been, "Headsets! We don't need no stinkin' headsets!"

Also on the field were a Twin Beech for skydiving and a Spezio Speedster.

This is a great place with very pleasant people and an atmosphere that seemed like fifty years ago. I recommend it!

-glen

WeaverJ3Cub
07-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Just got my tailwheel endorsement! Me too!!

When I got home from vacationing in Ohio, I clicked on What's New and found this thread. I thought Weaver had stolen my story. Same airfield, same plane, but I got my endorsement on 7/11/2012. My instructor was Joe (Land th' Plane!) Smith.

That is awesome Glen!! I'm glad that you stopped by when you were here. I've met Joe a few times; he definitely seems pretty humorless, but a good instructor. Did you come out here just to fly at Stewart?

You're right about the atmosphere....it's amazing. I only wish that "Cub" Stewart (Red Stewart's son) would grow the business a little more and make it as well known as Jack Brown's Seaplane Base. I think they have the history, staff, facility, knowledge, and airplanes to become the go-to place for tailwheel and aerobatic training.

I think I may remember you from when I was there....was that you with the black hat with "N404CX" embroidered on the front? (I think that was the number). If so, then you flew right after me twice. (in my previous post with all the pictures, I'm in the black shirt in the back seat of the 85hp Cub).

sdilullo
08-22-2012, 12:00 PM
I don't log onto these forums often enough...

Although I could ramble on with praise for Red Stewart Airfield / Stewart's Aircraft Service for weeks, I'll try and keep it brief.

I started flying there over four years ago now - flew a Champ up through first solo, then flew 150s through my PP checkride. Still fly there regularly - Cub, 150, 172 right now, haven't flown the Champ in a while. All my tailwheel time has been logged there - about 25 hours in the Champ and 45 in the Cubs.

Everything Samuel said is spot-on. It's about as grass-roots, vintage aviation as you'll find anywhere in this fine country. Everyone goes through spin training prior to solo - it's great instruction and a lot of fun. I've spun the Champ, Cubs, and 150 personally. I've also been up in the Stearman once - and trust me, I need to do more of that. Pronto. They're also (slowly) working on restoring a Pitts that will end up on the flight line. It truly is one of the most unique and excellent rental fleets you'll ever find.
One minor clarification, though - the youngest Stewart is only about one year old. He's Emerson IV, goes by Ace(y). :cool:

Anyway, if you're even remotely close by you should swing by some time. Heck, lots of people come from afar to train there. A few years ago I met a pilot from Australia (who found out about the airport via my blog (http://amileofrunway.blogspot.com/2009/07/meeting-friend-of-blog-from-down-under.html)) who came here for two weeks to get his tailwheel endorsement. You'll find a huge variety of pilots and aircraft here - from the ASEL ones listed above to gliders, gyros, even hot air balloons. Definitely a place for some fun hangar flying.

Some of my favorite photos of the airport and airplanes from my years flying there:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bLCJXEtfxHU/UBbYFm2sp8I/AAAAAAAADqM/Rdv0f6TK8cU/s700/2012_0721_40I_Local_Stearman_Formation_4_Small.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1gipWCmWEx0/T7ar1PqHUCI/AAAAAAAADes/yKUI2PkjPhk/s700/2012_0511_40I_Local_Downtown_6_Small.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4gb1FUpdsiI/TcF-S0bzUQI/AAAAAAAACPc/xGyVaZvr3C8/s700/2011_0429_FWS-PiperCub-ShortFieldTakeOffTailWheelOnGroundMainsOff.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-a7ZCtYDmjJ8/TcF-Ss1VYKI/AAAAAAAACPU/J87GWEbREz8/s700/2011_0429_FWS-PiperCub-LandingWideAngle.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_q5AIAJNvlfI/S9RkA2Z5rhI/AAAAAAAABV4/_GAsThxBXA0/s700/Champ_Takeoff_6.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_q5AIAJNvlfI/S39cS1PugvI/AAAAAAAABAs/thMB8QpnT4k/s700/2010_0219_40I_2OH9_40I_Cub_on_Skis_Cropped.jpg

...and one video that pretty much sums the place up in a nutshell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkZmnDeCxDw

I'll leave you with this - check out my blog (http://amileofrunway.blogspot.com/) if you want to see a ton of photos and videos from fun flights in the Champ (http://amileofrunway.blogspot.com/search/label/Aeronca%20Champ) and Cub (http://amileofrunway.blogspot.com/search/label/Piper%20Cub). Literally every flight I've ever flown is captured in a post on there.

Oh, and they have a Free Airshow (http://stewartsaircraft.net/5215.html) each year over Labor Day weekend - it's September 1st this year!

-Steve

WeaverJ3Cub
08-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself, Steve. Thanks for chiming in. I love that picture of the city from the Cub....I'd never thought to take it somewhere other than the pattern! That looks like fun.

sdilullo
08-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself, Steve. Thanks for chiming in. I love that picture of the city from the Cub....I'd never thought to take it somewhere other than the pattern! That looks like fun.

Thanks!
If it makes you feel any better, it took me about four years to get around to flying the thing downtown myself... :rollseyes: