PDA

View Full Version : Camping on Private Property at Osh.

orvie6
06-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Has anyone camped at the small campsite located down by the Ultralight Barn? I know this is listed on the EAA map as private property, but also know they 'rent it out' as campsites during Airventure.. I know they dont have a 'store' or showers there, but do believe they have portapotties and I think there is a small food consession located at the registration area..
As far as showers go.. I am a retired truck driver and plan on going down to the truck stop at Exit 113 and get a shower there.. I know it will cost $5.00 ($10 deposit, you get 5 bucks back when you bring back thier towel and washcloth!), but think that would outweight the possible wait at the ones on site!! With thousands of campers and only a few showers...understand there is no 'best time' for one to shower.. I have heard there are lines even at 2 AM!!! LOL.
Any comments from those that have camped at that small camping area would help alot.. I understand there nightly fee is $15 per vehicle and you have to admit...most of their sites are a lot closer to the 'active area' then some in Camp Schroller!!

Wayne Hartman
EAA 594185
Chapter 859
Steubenville, Ohio

Burtles
07-01-2012, 07:38 PM
I camped there (Relleumtdats campground) two years ago. It has no amenities but is cheap and has a great location. It was well drained during the very wet weather, when other campsites got swamped. There's nothing to stop you using the EAA showers and I didn't encounter huge lines.

rawheels
07-02-2012, 05:38 AM
I camped there last year. It is very easy to get in and out of for trips to town, and close to the ultralight action. It is a hayfield or something for the rest of the year, so it is pretty rough and the grass was pretty high, but acceptable. Last year the EAA parked a little over half dozen port-o-lets right at the opening between the two campgrounds, but there was some whining about the fact that people were crossing into the EAA camping area with a comment from EAA staff that "security" was looking into it (http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?140-2-gripes-this-year). Still not sure why it is an issue, since everyone has wristbands on. Although, I would have to think a bit about whether using the showers without paying is really being honest.

orvie6
07-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Burtles and Rawheels, thanks for the replys.. and as for the 'tresspassing' thru the fence, just whos fence is it??? EAA or the property owners??? My point is..if it were of major concern to the actuall private poperty owner that the campers were 'cutting the fence'...I think they would make it known to the campers there and maybe even add some additional fencing there (hhhmm....ELECTRIC fence anybody!!) to curtail access in that area.. Like the others..I too am an EAA member, pay my entry and for the most part..think that there were portapotties on the actuall campground...My buddy was there in '09 and I am pretty sure he said there were about 4-5 portapotties near the entrance to that camp ground.. Ok..so EAA supplies thier restroom facilities..as part of EAA, I believe I am entitled to acces those facilities when the need arises!! Are those campers that complain about the 'non EAA grounds' campers going to tell a non EAA member that comes to visit with them at thier campsite that they are not allowed to use the EAA potties???? HHHMMM.... I agree that cutting a fence is not good.. why not just walk up Knapp to the REAL entrance and then go where they need to go?? Just my 3 cents..(I allowed for inflation!!) lol

FlyingRon
07-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Haven't camped there, but friends who come up from Chicago usually park there for the day.