PDA

View Full Version : First Timer - Camping Question

Tsarach
06-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Hello,

I'm going to Airventure this year! First time I'll be attending and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm flying in with friends on Thursday but won't actually be camping until Sunday. Do you think it would be worth it to stake my site Thursday for a better location? Would it make any difference. I'm camping alone as the others have opted for a hotel, but was curious if those few days would save a week of hiking?

Also, will need to catch a cab down to Fond du Lac to catch my ride home early Sun morning. Do you generally see cabs lined up or should I schedule something in advance?

Joe Delene
06-26-2012, 05:03 AM
I'd think you could get a much better location on Thursday as opposed to Sunday. Depending on how important that is to you maybe you do want to spend the extra coin. You will have time to scope it out & decide when you get there. You can split the difference also with a Friday or Sat stake-out.

No, don't worry about a ride to Fond Du Lac now. After a week at OSH you will get familiar with ride options. They do have a bus that runs, though maybe not at the time you are looking for. It is a common run though. If you keep you eyes open you may find a free ride(or share) down that way, others will be going too most likely.

rcigliano
06-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I have camped there in 2010 and 2011 both times arriving on Thursday and staying through Sunday. I never had a problem finding a spot. I found that there are always spots available, you might not get the one you want or it might take a little hunting, but you will get one.

Of course, the earlier you go the better chance of getting the one you want. Also, if you want to camp next to friends you need to arrive early and with them.

Since this is your first time,you probably don't have a preference so it might be ok to arrive on Thursday and save some money.

Janet Davidson
06-26-2012, 09:05 PM
Cabs are fairly thin on the ground in Oshkosh, so if you do decide to go that way, be sure to book in advance. Google should find you a list of the companies in town, both here & Fondy.

Bill Greenwood
06-26-2012, 09:30 PM
There is regular bus service about every hour for about $10 from the transportation center a little west of the control tower to the FLD airport. I think it runs through Sun. Same place for the Appleton, etc bus.
It may well be possible to hitch hike also, though things quiet down on Sun.

Tsarach
06-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Thank you for the great replies.

Bill, do you have any idea how early the buses start to run?

MEdwards
06-27-2012, 11:38 AM
... do you have any idea how early the buses start to run?Call 'em and ask. From Airventure.org: Fond du Lac - Shuttle buses are available from Fond du Lac County Airport for a nominal fee. Contact the Fond du Lac Area Convention and Visitor’s Bureau at visit@fdl.com, or by calling 920-923-3010 or 1-800-937-9123.

Tsarach
06-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Thank you for the number! I did call them and so others know:

Go to Bus Park at Airventure, one way trip is $12.00. They run the buses every hour starting at 7-7:30am and finish at 10:00pm.

Thank you again for all the great feedback.