PDA

View Full Version : All within the Class D airspace area at Oshkosh today

Janet Davidson
05-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Just to show it isn't too difficult to find something interesting to write about here the rest of year...

In the space of about 5 minutes, there was a Citation landing, a Sundowner taking off, a C421 doing an engine run on the ground, a Travel Air E-4000 flying in the pattern at Pioneer Airport, a DC-3 with the Basler turbo conversion doing a practice ILS approach on to 36 and the Sonex jet departing off 27.

Not bad for a Friday in Oshkosh outwith "Oshkosh" :)

rosiejerryrosie
05-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Way too crowded for me :) Same day at Bermudian Valley - Opened the hangar door, no one around. Pushed the airplane out - no one around. Proped the airplane and did a run up - no one around. Took off, flew the pattern and landed - no one around. Did the same thing four more times - no one around. One turf runway - no waiting:D

Janet Davidson
05-26-2012, 07:28 AM
Jerry, I can see the appeal in your flying day - a grass strip would be nice. I just enjoyed the variety in such a short space of time - from the DC3 with new engines & the Travel Air to the two jets, one "run of the mill" & one very unique & ultra modern.

steveinindy
05-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Jerry, I can see the appeal in your flying day - a grass strip would be nice. I just enjoyed the variety in such a short space of time - from the DC3 with new engines & the Travel Air to the two jets, one "run of the mill" & one very unique & ultra modern.

I'd enjoy seeing the variety so I'm with you there Janet. That said, I think the Sonex jet is just as odd-looking/ugly as the prop version and it looks like they tried to rip off a V1 but couldn't find a big enough engine.

Same day at Bermudian Valley - Opened the hangar door, no one around. Pushed the airplane out - no one around. Proped the airplane and did a run up - no one around. Took off, flew the pattern and landed - no one around. Did the same thing four more times - no one around. One turf runway - no waiting

There is something to be said for low traffic volumes as well. However, given how much I like to watch airplanes, I seldom get annoyed when I have to sit and do that from a ringside seat. ;)

rwanttaja
05-26-2012, 08:47 PM
I'd enjoy seeing the variety so I'm with you there Janet. That said, I think the Sonex jet is just as odd-looking/ugly as the prop version and it looks like they tried to rip off a V1 but couldn't find a big enough engine.
Like this version of the Fly Baby? :-)

Ron Wanttaja

steveinindy
05-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Like this version of the Fly Baby? :-)

Ron Wanttaja

LOL Yeah, something like that. ;)

Joe LaMantia
05-30-2012, 07:27 AM
Hey Ron!,

Is there a Kit out for that "version" of the Fly Baby? It would probably raise hell with the noise suppression folks around Class D airports.

Joe
;)

nfdlpilot
05-30-2012, 01:33 PM
I flew just after 6:00 AM at OSH in a C172. I did see a 747, or something big, about 6 or 7 to the west, heading north, and a lawn mower by alpha, but nothing else around that time. :)

Janet Davidson
05-30-2012, 03:29 PM
nfdlpilot,

At that time in the morning there's usually at least one of the freight guys going in to ATW, usually an Airbus. Perhaps that's what you saw?

The lawnmower type I can't help you with ;)

rwanttaja
05-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Hey Ron!,

Is there a Kit out for that "version" of the Fly Baby?

Nahhh... you can't fly it as Sport Pilot, so what's the point? :-)

A few years back, the guy from Apex Gas Turbines demoed his Solar T62 conversion at our EAA chapter. Seemed perfect for a Fly Baby, other than the tremendous heat and high gas consumption.

Ron Wanttaja

nfdlpilot
06-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Janet, thanks for the update. I bet John Dorcey could help with the lawn mower info!! :)