PDA

View Full Version : Materials for cockpit mockup

Mike Switzer
05-24-2012, 08:52 PM
I want to build a cheap mockup of my cockpit to check out seating angle, instrument location, control location, etc.

Just wondering what you guys are using to build a mockup. I plan on building the finished plane with steel tube, I was going to build the mockup with cheap wood but the only straight wood I can find in sizes similar to what the tube will be are trim grade wood, and that costs almost as much as 4130. Most of what I am seeing that is cheap in the sizes I would use are filler & spacer stock which is so warped it is only suitable to start a fire with. I thought about using 3/8" plywood but it has gotten pretty pricey & none of it is straight either.

steveinindy
05-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Cardboard with a minimal PVC pipe and wood frame worked just fine for the mockup of my LSA cockpit.

Mike Switzer
05-25-2012, 05:17 AM
Was that strong enough to actually sit in? I'm not exactly small. I want to make sure the seating position is comfortable for longer periods, as I have some lower back issues, I figured I would sit in it out in the shop while I watch the ball game. :)

Auburntsts
05-25-2012, 08:51 AM
How about particleboard or MDF? Around $20 for particleboard and $30-$35 for MDF (4X8 sheets), but at least it will be straight and not warped.

Mike Switzer
05-25-2012, 09:34 AM
That is a thought. I might take a trip to the lumberyard later today. Too hot to be working outside, might as well be working on the plane design in the air conditioned shop. :)

Mike Switzer
05-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Oh, crap - I just realized my circular saw is up in the attic where I was working on putting down a floor. It is already close to 100 up there.

My good sawhorses are up there also...

Mike Switzer
05-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Another thing I was thinking about was cutting a mockup out of foam insulation & gluing it together, not sure how well the seat back would hold up though.

It would be a lot easier to cut out.

Dana
05-25-2012, 11:14 AM
If you have a table or radial arm saw, you can rip cheap 2x4s into almost any size you want. I make almost all my own moldings that way, far cheaper than buying trim wood and I get the sizes I want, not just what the lumberyard sells.

Auburntsts
05-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Mike,
Since you want to sit in your mockup, unless you are going build around something load bearing (like a chair), I'd stick to wood. YMMV....

Mike Switzer
05-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Mike,
Since you want to sit in your mockup, unless you are going build around something load bearing (like a chair), I'd stick to wood. YMMV....

I'm gonna look & see what my options & price are - I did find some 2" foam out in the barn that was left over from putting in the heated floor, I could use that as fill to keep the seat from caving in. (as long as it is sitting on the concrete floor)

Auburntsts
05-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Mike,
Whatever will get the job done - remember that perfection is the enemy of good enough. To liberally paraphrase Monty Python's Holy Grail, ".. It's only a mockup."

CraigCantwell
05-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Mike: Use PVC pipe and fittings to give the basic structure and cardboard and poster board where you need "solid surfaces" As for the seat, some cut up scrap lumber as necessary and if you make the seat back seperate, you could use a couple of bolts to hinge the back and bottom to work on the required angles. If you set the mock-up on the floor, you can leave the seat unattached and use some scrap blocks to support off the floor and at the correct height until you get it tuned in just like you need it.

steveinindy
05-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Was that strong enough to actually sit in? I'm not exactly small. I want to make sure the seating position is comfortable for longer periods, as I have some lower back issues, I figured I would sit in it out in the shop while I watch the ball game. :)

I worked for both my fiancee and myself. I'm 165 lbs and she's maybe 180 lbs. Then again, our mockup was just intended to sit on the floor and be used for ingress/egress experiments and instrument panel layout, etc. For the seats, we used a standard "conference" chair with padding glued on to the appropriate thickness and the base was simply a milk crate cut to the correct height. Not the prettiest mockup ever but it worked for our purposes.

Bill
05-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Oh, crap - I just realized my circular saw is up in the attic where I was working on putting down a floor. It is already close to 100 up there.

Why let that stop you. Here in Arizona, we don't stop working until the temperature hits 110 or so. 100 is no problem and I've already been working in the garage building my homebuilt with the temperature over 100 this year.

Mike Switzer
05-26-2012, 08:54 AM
If I was in Arizona it wouldn't bother me. It is ridiculously humid here.

martymayes
05-26-2012, 09:45 AM
If I was in Arizona it wouldn't bother me. It is ridiculously humid here.
Now Mike......I live in the upper midwest and being from the Louisiana Gulf Coast, I have to laugh when people here tell me how humid it is.

Eric Page
05-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Here in Arizona, we don't stop working until the temperature hits 110 or so.

"We" who? I replaced a front axle on my car last week in my garage and thought I was going to die. You're a hardier soul than I!

Eric Page
05-26-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm 165 lbs and she's maybe 180 lbs.

And if she reads these forums, you're a dead man. ;)

Mike Switzer
05-26-2012, 02:28 PM
A bit of an update - I got some 1" white foam insulation from Menards for $8/sheet (1/2 what the pink stuff is & the pink was all tongue & groove).

I was initially going to clamp & glue it with construction adhesive, but my clamps are too short & I was too cheap to pay $39.99 each to buy longer ones, so I tried screwing a couple pieces together with 3" deck screws - it works pretty good, and I can take it apart if I want to change something. Using a carpenter's knife & my drywall square to score the foam, then snapping it just like drywall.

2006Looks like I have a passenger... :D2007

steveinindy
05-26-2012, 04:26 PM
And if she reads these forums, you're a dead man. ;)

No, she carries that "extra weight" very well if you follow my drift.

Looks like I have a passenger...

LOL. BTW, what kind of car is that in the background of the first picture? I looks really familiar and very fun.

Mike Switzer
05-26-2012, 05:07 PM
76 MGB - a conflicting source of fun & frustration & proof that British Leyland engineers put 2 pieces of metal together & invented the oil leak.

steveinindy
05-26-2012, 06:07 PM
76 MGB - a conflicting source of fun & frustration
That's the kind of car my dad had when he met my mom. I've seen pictures of him with the car but I just couldn't remember what it was called.

& proof that British Leyland engineers put 2 pieces of metal together & invented the oil leak.
Hahahaha. Nice. I always thought it was the invention of whomever invented the radial engine. ;)

Mike Switzer
05-26-2012, 08:55 PM
That car also has the first self-dimming headlights & the first intermittent wipers, both invented by Lucas Prince of Darkness....

I have a jar of genuine Lucas wiring harness smoke in the trunk just in case my wiring harness decides to release all of its smoke at a inopportune moment... :cool:

Bill
05-26-2012, 10:19 PM
That car also has the first self-dimming headlights & the first intermittent wipers, both invented by Lucas Prince of Darkness....

I have a jar of genuine Lucas wiring harness smoke in the trunk just in case my wiring harness decides to release all of its smoke at a inopportune moment... :cool:

The real reason that the English drink their beer warm is because their refrigerators are made by Lucas.:rollseyes:

Mike Switzer
05-27-2012, 05:12 AM
The real reason that the English drink their beer warm is because their refrigerators are made by Lucas.:rollseyes:

Now that explains a lot...:D

Mike Switzer
05-27-2012, 06:47 AM
One minor issue I was made aware of this morning - evidently white foam is an excellent claw sharpening medium. This has me worried about what will happen when I get to the point of covering the real thing in fabric.

steveinindy
05-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Declaw the cat?

Mike Switzer
05-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Not an option.

steveinindy
05-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Hmmm....you have quite the predicament there.