PDA

View Full Version : The Grounds at Night ....

ozzieandgracie
05-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Can anyone tell me what time they lock the gates to the grounds each night? I am thinking of taking photos of some of the aircraft at night around sunset but am not sure how long the gates are open.

Thanks in advance!
Ron

malexander
05-21-2012, 04:06 AM
I don't think the gates are ever locked at night. I been "up" to the grounds at all hours of the day/night for picture taking and have never encountered a locked gate. I think there's security at each entrance/exit 24/7 though.

Kyle Boatright
05-21-2012, 04:50 AM
They do close the warbirds area overnight. I don't know what the hours are. Zach might chime in here...

FlyingRon
05-21-2012, 05:46 AM
Different gates have different operating hours. I think you can get in the Knapp road by the Aeroshell square is open 24 hours. The Waupan road gate shuts at I think.
Sunset around 8:30 should not be problem..

Jeff Point
05-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Warbirds shuts down at 8PM when the field closes. The rest of it is open all night. It is almost magical to walk around the flightline late at night, just one of the many reasons why everyone should stay on the field rather than off in some hotel or dorm room. One man's humble opinion.

ozzieandgracie
05-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Thanks to everyone for all of your input on this subject! It has really helped.

Hangar10
05-22-2012, 11:43 AM
+1

Warbirds shuts down at 8PM when the field closes. The rest of it is open all night. It is almost magical to walk around the flightline late at night, just one of the many reasons why everyone should stay on the field rather than off in some hotel or dorm room. One man's humble opinion.

Treetop_Flyer
05-22-2012, 11:47 AM

Exactly! Evenings at Oshkosh are just magical. I don't know how to compare it to anything else, but those hours between 8 pm and midnight at Oshkosh are some of my favorite Oshkosh memories.

ozzieandgracie
05-23-2012, 08:27 AM
I always stay at Scholler or at the Sleep Hollow Farms camp site and yes they are the best places to stay. Far better than staying off site. Thanks to all your responses I am really looking forward to some night hiking to the flight line to check out the aircraft.

malexander
05-23-2012, 07:43 PM
I always stay at Scholler or at the Sleep Hollow Farms camp site and yes they are the best places to stay. Far better than staying off site. Thanks to all your responses I am really looking forward to some night hiking to the flight line to check out the aircraft.

Are you going to be in Sleepy Hollow this year? If you are drop in on us we'll be in space 69. Friday the 20th thru the next Saturday.

ozzieandgracie
05-24-2012, 08:56 AM
To malexander -- Yes i am going to be in Sleepy Hollow this year. I will make it a point to top by.

malexander
05-25-2012, 07:26 AM
To malexander -- Yes i am going to be in Sleepy Hollow this year. I will make it a point to top by.

Looking foreward to meeting you. I'll be in the Challenger 5th wheel with the grey GMC Sierra parked in front.