PDA

View Full Version : Sweepstakes Redux: Which one of these would you most want to win?

Hal Bryan
05-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Time to talk sweepstakes airplanes again. Based on feedback we've gotten from a number of sources, we'd like to get your take on which airplane in this list you'd most like to win in a future EAA sweepstakes . This isn't a definitive list, but your input here will be a big help! Please vote for one!

EDGEFLY
05-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Zenith CH750/ready to fly. If necessary to select from the choices given; RV 7

KDoersom
05-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Do an RV-7 and have ye EAA staff build it and do monthly articles on the build. If not that then the Stearman or Waco. That T6 burns to much gas.

Green Goggles
05-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Zenith CH750/ready to fly.

http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/iagree.gif]/img] http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/iagree.gif

I will be completely honest, some of the airplanes up above I know nothing about. Not familiar with them at all.

That being said, the planes that got my attention as I scanned the list were Pitts, Extra, 182, and Stearman... in roughly that order.
The Swift and the RV would also be super cool.

The electric thingy and the amphibian thingy don't interest me a bit. http://www.mdhmi.com/pics/smilies/headscratch2.gif

The T-6 would be fun. Probably could not afford operating costs, however.

steveinindy
05-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Do an RV-7 and have ye EAA staff build it and do monthly articles on the build. If not that then the Stearman or Waco. That T6 burns to much gas.

If I got a kit plane, I'd not want it "ready to fly" since there would be some things to do to the structure before I'd be excited to have it. It's a tough choice as the Waco and Globe Swift are probably two of my favorite airplanes. The Swift got my vote because they have similar speed but the Swift is a closed cockpit.

Green Goggles
05-07-2012, 07:53 PM
If I got a kit plane, I'd not want it "ready to fly" since there would be some things to do to the structure before I'd be excited to have it.

Agreed. I might amend my earlier comment about the CH 750. The "ready to fly" is desirable, but the kit is intriguing too.
Maybe give the winner a choice:

(a) Complete airplane
(b) Airplane kit plus $xx,xxx for engine/avionics/attending manufacturers workshops/tools/ etc.

Hmmm!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_1.gif

Kyle Boatright
05-07-2012, 08:41 PM
At this point, I have plenty of "toy" airplanes in the hangar. An RV and 3 Aeronca projects. Those are in addition to the Hatz, which is on indefinite hold.

I need a 4 seat traveling machine, so unless you put an RV-10 on the list, I'm going C-182.

Racegunz
05-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Hey Kyle I'd be happy to store one of your "toy" airplanes in my empty hangar!:D the Extra 300 gets my vote.

Kyle Boatright
05-08-2012, 05:17 AM
Hey Kyle I'd be happy to store one of your "toy" airplanes in my empty hangar!:D the Extra 300 gets my vote.

How many Aeronca projects would you like to store? I can make you quite a deal. ;-)

Flyfalcons
05-08-2012, 06:26 AM
There is nothing the RV-7 structure need to be a safe and proven aircraft. There's a reason there are more RVs flying than any other homebuilt design.

Having said that, I see no excitement in buying tickets for an AOPA-style spam can rental look-a-like (eg, Cessna 182). Give me the Waco or Extra.

steveinindy
05-08-2012, 08:24 AM
There is nothing the RV-7 structure need to be a safe and proven aircraft. There's a reason there are more RVs flying than any other homebuilt design.

There's nothing 'wrong' with the designs but there's not a design out there that can't be improved. It's just the nature of engineering. You learn from the first ones off the line (or out of the garages/hangars in this case) and then make a great design even better.

Racegunz
05-08-2012, 09:32 AM
How many Aeronca projects would you like to store? I can make you quite a deal. ;-)

Oh no, no more projects (I have 3 now) I have a soft spot for the war era aircraft but enough is enough!:P

rawheels
05-09-2012, 06:34 AM
Those are in addition to the Hatz, which is on indefinite hold.

have ye EAA staff build it and do monthly articles on the build.

Hard decision between the two classic biplanes. How about you buy Kyle's Hatz project, and then follow KDoersom's advice on the EAA staff build & magazine articles?

Floatsflyer
05-09-2012, 07:38 AM
There are some terrific choices on that list and I'd love to have one of each. But for practical purposes and to serve my own infectious love affair needs it's the Icon A5 for me.

Dave Stadt
05-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Actually, anything on the list except the 182, ICON or the electric.

steve
05-09-2012, 06:13 PM
I already own an RV9A so the restored 182 would be my choice. And make it the good looking B model with swept tail and fastback fuselage. While we're dreaming, pay the taxes, too. Else it's "Airplane for Sale".

GTBGUY
05-10-2012, 06:06 PM
If a RV-10 is not available, I would go for the 182.

bstillwagon
05-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Gotta be the Icon A5 Amphibian for me! Remember it works on either land or water ... it has folding wings ... and you can trailer it and park it in your garage at home therefore no hangar fees! Or for the RV enthusiasts out there, take it with you on an RV trip around the country.

pearsek
05-10-2012, 07:18 PM
I've seen a lot of very nice aircraft that I've wanted go to a winner other than me. I can say with conviction that an ICON A5 would be a good option.

steveinindy
05-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I can say with conviction that an ICON A5 would be a good option.

Why is that? I've never seen one in person let alone flown one so I'd be interested as to what makes it a good choice.

Bill
05-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Why is that? I've never seen one in person let alone flown one so I'd be interested as to what makes it a good choice.

Perhaps because ICON has a good PR department.

Any aircraft design is the nonpareil of aircraft designs until a significant number of them are in the hands of the pilot. Then we learn the truth.

The one and only airplane that I was part of the design team that I'm completely happy with is the B-777. The F-22 is almost as great, and the pilots love it, except for the existing OBOGS, which, I'm happy to say, I had nothing to do with.

05-11-2012, 09:19 AM
A good basic LSA (brand new) would be a good choice. I would want to sell anything else and so I would pick the most expensive of the remaining choices.

Jim