PDA

View Full Version : Forum Flypaper

rwanttaja
05-01-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm noticing increasing instances of NOT being able to use the "Back" button on my browser to return to higher levels of a forum page.

Looking at this history, I notice that my browser keeps getting redirected to a facebook page (something like s-static.ak.facebook.com). It's like it's continually calling that page, but not updating the screen. So the effect is that the computer stays on the current screen. I get around it by scrolling down in my History four or five lines to the last "good" page.

This is happening on multiple computers, multiple browsers (IE and FF).

Anyone know what's going on?

Ron Wanttaja

Mike Switzer
05-01-2012, 12:32 PM
It has something to do with the 2 facebook links that someone saw fit to install on EAA's forum. I suspect they are looking to see if you are a facebook member or are logged on to facebook or something, if it gets the "wrong" answer or fails to connect the page won't load.

It hasn't happened to me here, but I frequently see similar errors (both the facebook link you reference & a similar one from google) on newspaper websites that have lots of external content

Hal Bryan
05-01-2012, 12:48 PM
I haven't seen this behavior, and haven't yet been able to replicate it, though I'll admit I habitually use the "breadcrumb" links at the top (the small home icon, then Form -> EAA Forums -> Support and Feedback, etc.) rather than the back button.

I'll keep trying to reproduce it and see if I can figure out what's up.

rwanttaja
05-01-2012, 04:25 PM
I saw this effect on one site (non-EAA) that carried advertising. Basically, they "refreshed" the screen every twenty seconds, which (coincidentally...) counted as another "hit." So if you read the site for two minutes, they'd tell their advertisers that six people had viewed it instead of one.

I kinda doubt that's going on here, though.

Ron Wanttaja

Anymouse
05-01-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm noticing increasing instances of NOT being able to use the "Back" button on my browser to return to higher levels of a forum page.

Looking at this history, I notice that my browser keeps getting redirected to a facebook page (something like s-static.ak.facebook.com). It's like it's continually calling that page, but not updating the screen. So the effect is that the computer stays on the current screen. I get around it by scrolling down in my History four or five lines to the last "good" page.

This is happening on multiple computers, multiple browsers (IE and FF).

Anyone know what's going on?

Ron Wanttaja

You might want to try downloading Ghostery. Among other things, it will block the facebook links. It does wonders for me on Firefox.

http://www.ghostery.com/download