PDA

View Full Version : Oshkosh 2012 Noobie

TheWheatonPilot
04-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Hey!Last week I just obtained my instrument rating in the MEL, and to reward myself I am coming to Oshkosh. Other than the information on the EAA website is there any other personal info from veterans of the fly-in. I'm camping with the plane in the North 40 and it will either be a Piper Archer or Beech Dutchess. I want to fly it IFR but am thinking of going to VFR once into WI to get the FULL EXPERIENCE. I plan on staying Thursday thru Sunday. What should I bring for camping, food, and for the actual event? Does any one use a gear list? Any help or Advice will be greatly appreciated.

steveinindy
04-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Even if you file IFR, you're still going to be arriving VFR.

What should I bring for camping, food, and for the actual event?

Lots of money, sunscreen, plenty of water, good walking shoes and a tent that has been doubly waterproofed and can tolerate high winds. Earplugs also help when it comes time for the kerosene cowboys to do their stuff down at the flight line as well as for calling it a night earlier than everyone else.

rleffler
04-14-2012, 05:30 PM
It really depends on the day and time. I've flown in ifr expecting to have to cancel, but was able to fly ifr all the way to the green dot.

Auburntsts
04-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Even if you file IFR, you're still going to be arriving VFR. Not exactly true IAW the AirVenture NOTAM.

FlyingRon
04-16-2012, 10:46 AM
If the field is IFR, you'll get a rather standard IFR arrival. If the field is open to VFR traffic, you're most likely going to be vectored for a straight in to 27 and you'll be sequenced in between the train of VFR arrivals coming around a tight in right downwind (keep it inside the blue water tank).

You'll need to reserve an arrival slot if coming in IFR. If not Chicago center will harrass you continually about when you are going to cancel IFR for hundreds of miles (they started on us while we were over Lake Michigan, I told them as soon as they routed us back over land, we would).

I usually just go in early enough that the Ripon thing hasn't begun yet. Get a regular VFR or IFR arrival to 36.

Read the notam, understand the notam, follow the notam. That's the key.

Camping with the plane? You'll need a good tent and the weather has been everything from beastly cold (probably not this year) to unbelievable hot. Be ready.
The state bird of Wisconsin is the mosquito so bring some citronella and bug spray for the evenings. You can count on at least one hellacious gully washer storm during the event, so be prepared for that.

Food is what you want to make of it. Once you're within a couple of days of the show, the on-site food vendors open and you can pig out on brats and chicken or whaatever, or you can bring food to prepare at your camp site as is your inclination. If you are camping in the North 40 (i.e., later than 1970), you can also escape to some close in off-field venues.

Trevor Janz
04-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Congratulations!! What a great way to reward yourself. I have been coming to Oshkosh since 1972! here is a link to our survival guide. http://www.airventure.org/planning/survival_guide.html

You will develop friendships that will last a lifetime. There are several that I only see during the week of Oshkosh AirVenture!

Jim Clark
04-16-2012, 08:36 PM
What year is your ride? If you can I would recommend parking in Vintage. The evenings in Vintage are priceless.

steveinindy
04-16-2012, 08:53 PM
What year is your ride? If you can I would recommend parking in Vintage. The evenings in Vintage are priceless.

"Night you can't remember with friends you'll never forget...."

Cobrajock24
04-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Congratulations!!! Enjoy the experience!

Joe Delene
04-19-2012, 04:25 PM
I would just bring your essentials & don't worry about every last item. There is a super Wal-Mart that I believe is walking distance from the N 40. Just bring a tent & sleeping bag & flashlights & stuff. There is plenty of food around too, I'd mostly bring easy finger food, & buy supplies once you arrive. I may be up in that 'north 40' this year too.

gmatejcek
04-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Hi There, and welcome! It's been some time since I camped in the north 40 since I drive these days, but I have camped at the convention many times. As others have stated, know the NOTAM. It's not rocket science, just critical. Be prepared to divert to Appleton or Fon du Lac and use the bus service, should the field be full. It does happen... cash will get you most anything you need. I'd suggest whatever basic camping gear you can fit... tent, chairs, sleeping bags, flashlight / camp light / lantern. An air mattress will float and keep your bedding dry(er). You may wonder how I know that.... Absolutely believe everone's warnings about the range of weather to expect. Some years, heat stroke is an issue on the grounds. One year, I woke up with frost on the inside of the tent. One year, and one year only, there wasn't a deluge. Some sort of table, however small, is nice if you will eat at the plane. That starts getting complicated, though. A cooler is a very good idea for a cold beverage after the show. There are several entirely acceptable eateries within walking distance, however I believe the WalMart mentioned elsewhere has been closed for several years. If you are a coffee person, the ability to heat water is good as getting coffee first thing in the morning can be less than convenient. Long-life munchies, like granola bars, are handy to have around. A water bottle. Back pack. Flip-flops for the showers. A Zodiac is good, but a canoe will do. just kidding there, but shoes you don't mind getting muddy is a biggie. Likewise, an old bath mat makes a great door mat and helps keep the tent clean and dry.

I do use a gear list, but it evolves continuously. For example, we used to do a lot of cooking in the campground. These days, we'd rather soak up some airconditioning and let someone else do the work and clean-up.

Auburntsts
04-20-2012, 12:26 PM
The Wal-Mart is not within walking distance -- it's up Hwy 41 at the next exit. However, there is a Target that is more or less within walking distance. Having said that it's probalby easier just to get one of the volunteers with a Gator to drive you to one of the Camp Scholler camp stores to get anything you might need.

steve
04-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Usually one shopping trip to Target or the Pick-n-Save next door is all we do for the week long visit. Those stores are at least a half mile from the N40 gate plus the distance to your campsite. Point is - bring everything with you in the plane.

Auburntsts
04-20-2012, 07:18 PM
2 more options if you are space limited:1. Mail stuff to yourself at Osh-- details on how to do this are on the AirVenture website 2. Find someone who is driving and have them haul it for you