PDA

View Full Version : needing to learn about flight

JangoFett724
03-29-2012, 09:27 PM
My name is Chris and I need to learn more about flight for this school project. Can anyone help me?

Frank Giger
03-30-2012, 07:25 AM
Chris, which part of flight is the project about? It's a big topic, which could mean:

How one learns to fly a plane.
What makes a plane fly.
The history of flight.
What's it like to pilot an aircraft?
etc.

If you could narrow it down we could help a lot more.

JangoFett724
03-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Well,I pretty much want to learn all about all the forces and stabilities. I already know the names and a lot about the stabilities.

JangoFett724
03-30-2012, 11:35 AM
I just need to learn how the three stabilities are created for the plane. And perhaps some more on the four forces.

steveinindy
03-30-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm only 11

I'm only 31. Never let someone put you down just because of your age. Being bright and inquisitive is far more important than being smart. Someone (James Thurber) once put it this way: "It's often better to know some of the questions than to have all of the answers."

I just need to learn how the three stabilities are created for the plane. And perhaps some more on the four forces.

Here you go: http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/5-8/features/what-is-aerodynamics-58.html
(http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/5-8/features/what-is-aerodynamics-58.html)This should help somewhat with the aerodynamics questions.

For stability: http://www.airplanedesign.info/19.htm
(http://www.airplanedesign.info/19.htm)
If you need anything else or have any other questions, please let me know.

aosunaiv
03-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Good afternoon, Chris,

You may also want to look at the NASA Glenn Research Center's Beginner's Guide to Aeronautics.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/index.html

Have a good day!

JangoFett724
03-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Thank you so much! I read everything everyone suggested. Thanks!:star:

Bill Greenwood
03-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Jango, the 4 forces idea is pretty simple. 1.Gravity or weight pulls the plane down. 2 Lift opposes gravity, lift is produced by the wing moving through the air. If you turned the sail of a yacht on its side, it would be pulling up sort of like a wing. A propeller is shaped like a wing and acts like a wing on the air. 3. Thrust is what moves the plane forward through the air, either by a propeller or a jet engine or even both, or a glider being pulled down by gravity. 4. Last is drag, of two kinds, the simple drag of going into the wind, just like running or biking into the wind; and the other and more complex drag that is created by the wing making lift.

Matt Gonitzke
03-31-2012, 06:29 AM
Jango, the 4 forces idea is pretty simple. 1.Gravity or weight pulls the plane down. 2 Lift opposes gravity, lift is produced by the wing moving through the air. If you turned the sail of a yacht on its side, it would be pulling up sort of like a wing. A propeller is shaped like a wing and acts like a wing on the air. 3. Thrust is what moves the plane forward through the air, either by a propeller or a jet engine or even both, or a glider being pulled down by gravity. 4. Last is drag, of two kinds, the simple drag of going into the wind, just like running or biking into the wind; and the other and more complex drag that is created by the wing making lift.

Not really...in a turn, loop, or most any other maneuver, lift does not oppose gravity. A better way to state that would be 'Lift is the part of the resultant force vector that's perpendicular to the flight path, and drag is the component of the same resultant force vector that is parallel to the flight path, acting in a direction opposite the motion of the aircraft.

Bill Greenwood
03-31-2012, 09:01 AM
Matt, I knew someone could find an exception to what I wrote. Guess what, after a plane breaks up in the air , the wings no longer make lift to oppose gravity either. And the wings on a missle don't make lift either.

I was trying to make it somewhat direct and simple for the young man.

PS did you know that the prop does not always produce thrust, either? Someitmes there is no thrust when the engine is off or even reverse thrust after landing. Or maybe that is reverse "resultant force vector", to use some big words.

rosiejerryrosie
04-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Not really...in a turn, loop, or most any other maneuver, lift does not oppose gravity. A better way to state that would be 'Lift is the part of the resultant force vector that's perpendicular to the flight path, and drag is the component of the same resultant force vector that is parallel to the flight path, acting in a direction opposite the motion of the aircraft.

That's how you'd explain it to an 11 year old.....sheesh.....:confused:

Matt Gonitzke
04-01-2012, 07:26 PM
It's no more difficult of a concept than the stability and control link posted earlier in the thread.

JangoFett724
04-02-2012, 07:59 PM
All the information you guys are giving me is really helpful. Thank you. But now I'm kind of focused on the three stabilities: pitch stability, roll stability and directional stability.

Hiperbiper
04-08-2012, 09:23 PM
The 4 Forces of Flight? That's easy.

Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover!!!.

steveinindy
04-08-2012, 09:28 PM
The FAA, gravity, one's spouse and the weather.

JangoFett724
05-10-2012, 08:51 PM
What are wind tunnels?

RV8505
05-10-2012, 10:33 PM
What are wind tunnels?

Chris, You should really goggle it first and then ask if you don't understand. All the detailed information with illistrations is readily availiable on the internet and it helps you learn and understand better. Also, it helps you communicate with others on a higher plane when you do ask questions.

Chuck