PDA

View Full Version : Input needed! We're overhauling our website(s) and need your help!

Hal Bryan
03-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Like it says, we're gearing up for some major Web work, and we'll be asking you a few questions over the next week and a half or so. First, if you, would, take a second to answer the poll question, and then please share your responses to these (note that this batch of questions is focused specifically on EAA.org, not our other sites, including this one):

What do you like about EAA.org and why?

What would you change about EAA.org and why?

Wilfred
03-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Obviously I support EAA because it represents my personal interest in flying...I also support AOPA even though they are a bit more focused on commercial avaiation rather than pure amateur flying.

I understand that it takes a LOT of money to keep the organization going, but it always seems web sites like EAA.org is pretty much jammed with sales pitches and that kind of turns me off, even though I understand the necessity for it.

steveinindy
03-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Personally, I think if we're going to have so many advertisements on the main website, it might be worth seeing if someone (Aircraft Spruce, etc) would sponsor access for the general public to the more detailed building and design information that's currently in the members only area.

Payton009
03-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Personally, I'm not much bothered with the advertisements. I do very much enjoy reading most of the articles because they are important and relevant. I also like the wallpaper of the month. A "mobile site" would be the only real suggestion I can think of.

Dana
03-07-2012, 05:13 PM
You neglected to include a choice in the poll for more than "never" but less than "once a month".

Personally, I use the forums here, and occasionally (less than once a month) the videos, mainly "hints for homebuilders".

I also look for fly-ins but rarely through the main web page; I just google "eaa fly-in calendar".

Keep java and flash to a minimum! Not only is it incompatible with some older and mobile browsers, but the message gets lost in the glitter.

Mike Switzer
03-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Usually if I go the the EAA website it is either to buy something or to research items in back issues of Sport Aviation. Any current news is in the daily emails, if I am interested in an article I read it.

Hangar10
03-07-2012, 10:26 PM
As our newsletter editor, and the one who tries to keep our membership informed of important happenings, I look at eaa.org daily. When there are important stories or requests posted, I forward the information to members so that they can be aware and help us take action when necessary.

I get so much e-mail that the EAA and AOPA bulletins are often overlooked as I just don't have time to look through them all when I get home. It is much easier to browse the headlines on the EAA main page rather than sift through threads on the forum for items that are actually newsworthy. I sit at a desk all day, so I normally take a minute to see whats happening.

Jim Hann
03-07-2012, 10:41 PM
I would also like a mobile site, especially since the fruit company doesn't like Flash. Beyond that, it is pretty good as is, I can normally find what I want quickly. A more prominent link to the Members Only content would be good possibly.

Jim

Hangar10
03-08-2012, 06:46 AM
I'll agree with you on that Jim... a more prominent link to Members Only content. Going to Members Only still takes users to Osh365, which is still dreadfully slow most of the time... I would fix that. Not Osh365, but perhaps move the content somewhere else if that would improve things. I wanted to share an article with someone a few weeks ago and it takes quite a long time to log in, navigate, etc.

dewi8095
03-08-2012, 07:34 AM
I usually go to the home page to access the past issues of Sport Aviation. It is not easy to find the pre-2010 issues and unless I go frequently I need to do some searching to find the appropriate links. Direct access to the archival issues would be nice.

Don

Jim Hann
03-08-2012, 08:12 AM
It is not easy to find the pre-2010 issues and unless I go frequently I need to do some searching to find the appropriate links. Direct access to the archival issues would be nice.

Don
I'll second that, I go to search and it gets painfully slow too, and that is after finding it!

Jim

Joe LaMantia
03-08-2012, 08:47 AM
I haven't been to the main EAA website in a long time, I check this blog daily and post on some topics of interest, I also enjoy browsing the "Red Barn" blog. I get AOPA"s twice daily brief, but don't always read it, that is just information overload and too much of it isn't relative to my flying. I use the Sport Aviation on-line library once in-awhile I'm not too troubled by it's "speed" since it's not something I do very often, but I do like the fact that I can find information without have to store hard copy SA's. I keep last year's hard copy and every January I rotate the two year old file to the trash, trying to keep the paper accumulation down.

Joe
:cool:

rosiejerryrosie
03-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Instead of the trash, how about your doctor's/dentist's office, etc. An inexpensive way to advertise flying.....

steveinindy
03-08-2012, 05:11 PM
keep last year's hard copy and every January I rotate the two year old file to the trash, trying to keep the paper accumulation down.

Joe, I would be happy to give any back issue you have a good home.

rock4evr
03-08-2012, 10:17 PM
What do you like about EAA.org and why?
It's a good resource for all things general aviation. I really like the calendar of events feature. I also like that it's kept relatively simple; no waiting on fancy animations or other pointless eye-candy that clutters so many other sites.

What would you change about EAA.org and why?
I'd suggest moving the "Contact Us" link from the footer to the main menu somewhere, maybe under "Member Services". I remember looking all over for contact info once until I found the tiny link in the page footer.

I'd also like to see a way for an event submitter to be able to update or remove an item on the calendar of events. I know we can e-mail EAA and you'll take care of it but it would be easier and less bothersome for all if the submitter could make changes directly. Especially handy if we want to get an event on the calendar early and then update it as details are finalized.

My final suggestion is to improve the EAA AutoPilot with clearer instructions and so we can see some type of credit card status, such as expiration date. Right now, I don't know of a way to check that. If I go to membership renewal, I get the message "If you need to update your on-file credit card number – click here". That links to the AutoPilot page that says "Yes, enroll me in EAA AutoPilot" and gives a place for entering credit card info. It's not clear whether you are signing up for something new, fearing that you could be billed twice, or if you're actually updating an existing registration and overwriting the existing card with a new one. I'd expect that page to know I'm already enrolled and would say something like "Update your credit card info below", rather than "Enroll me in..." When you check out on Amazon, for instance, it makes it very clear what card is on file and whether it's expired or not. Something similar would be helpful.

JohnReid
03-09-2012, 07:53 AM
I visit this site everyday and enjoy every minute! Great place to find out what's goin on.What would I change ? Maybe we could add a section for aviation artists and their work.This would not be to sell but just to display their efforts.I know many artist friends who would be interested.

Hal Bryan
03-09-2012, 09:03 AM
I visit this site everyday and enjoy every minute! Great place to find out what's goin on.What would I change ? Maybe we could add a section for aviation artists and their work.This would not be to sell but just to display their efforts.I know many artist friends who would be interested.

Just to be clear, John, in this case we're talking very specifically about EAA's main website at www.eaa.org (http://www.eaa.org). All feedback is welcome of course, but I wanted to clarify the help we're looking for in this particular thread.

Thanks!

Hal

Hal Bryan
03-09-2012, 10:55 AM
FYI - I moved two posts to a new thread to talk about EAA's direction and $200,000 homebuilts and all that. This one is about us asking you to help us improve our website. The comments and responses to the poll have been great so far - we need your help, so please keep 'em coming!

EDGEFLY
03-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Please moderate my "never" vote to "just so I can get to Members only content". Therefore, I use EAA.org daily. IMHO, there is going to be a Shotgun Wedding anyway, so it only requires a smattering of EAA type content to be added to what the aopa is already doing to cover everything the EAA.org site does anyway. I recommend that reorganization of web activities be concentrated on the Oshkosh site and strengthen the areas of interest to the typical EAA member rather than adding more redundancy.