PDA

View Full Version : A new Chapter in my life?

Skyraider
03-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Hello everyone!

I am planning to move halfway across this great country, this year.
Currently an EAA chapter member here, but I wondered what the details
of transferring to the new chapter might entail.

Is it as simple as just walking in and saying "OK, I'm here ! ":D
and giving them my name?

Thanks,

Skyraider~

Chris In Marshfield
03-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Generally speaking, you're correct! EAA Nationals does not maintain chapter membership rosters. That's all handled locally by the chapter themselves. As long as you're a national member (have an EAA card with membership number on it), you should be able to walk into any chapter in America and join. No transfer required.

~Chris

President, EAA Chapter 992
Marshfield, WI

rosiejerryrosie
03-06-2012, 08:02 AM
There may be some difference in chapter dues, may there not be?

CraigCantwell
03-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Depending on where you are moving to, there also may be multiple chapters. I think that there are 7 with about 50 miles of me.

Jim Hann
03-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Yes, you can belong to multiple chapters. We have several folks that belong to multiples in Chapter 32.

Skyraider
03-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks to everyone that responded.

As President of a chapter I guess Chris would know!

A $2 - $20 difference in chapter dues wouldn't be a problem, given the value of membership. Can't see it being greater than that...

Where I am moving to, has only the one chapter nearby. I wouldn't want to drive an hour to attend a meeting / build session. As it is now, I live about 7 minutes drive from the airport /chapter. Looking to get close to that at the new residence.
Sky~

Chris In Marshfield
03-06-2012, 05:01 PM
There may be some difference in chapter dues, may there not be?

Most certainly, depending on the chapter, what kind of overhead they have, etc. Some chapters own their own hangars, some entire museums! Some, like mine, are hosted by our municipal airport, so have little in the way of expenses and typically have lower dues.

Chapter dues are almost always not transferable between chapters, so you couldn't be two months in your existing chapter, move to another and expect to be covered for ten months. Our chapter is its own legal business entity, in addition to holding an EAA chapter charter.

~Chris