PDA

View Full Version : Maupin Woodstock

wadeg
02-21-2012, 10:19 PM
I am getting ahold of some Woodstock plans for the 13m version. Does anyone have any additional helpful info such as the build notes or your own documentation/photos? I'll pay for copies and the postage!

Furthermore, other than the efforts to lighten the Duster and get rid of its fixed wing center and the change in airfoil, what did Maupin do to the Duster? Any change in its spar?

Regards
Wade

jlantzok
02-23-2012, 10:40 PM
I have a set of drawings and a file on the little guy somewhere. I don't remember the spar arrangement, but I'll dig the stuff out in a week, or so. Perhaps I can forward it to you. Irv Culver performed some of the first check flights and wrote them up for Soaring, and I'm fairly sure I've got that, and other goodies, in the file. I will be out of pocket for a little over a week, but if this thread is still up, I'll update you then. This is my first attempt to respond to a forum, so I hope I have done so appropriately.

SGS 1-35C
02-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Dear Wade:

The Experimental Soaring Association (nee' Sailplane Homebuilder's Association) is the best clearing house for info on this type. I do not know if anyone has flown a 13m version yet. It has a carbon-fiber spar.

Not sure what you are referring to regarding the Duster. Different animal entirely.

tonycondon
02-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Yea I think Maupin worked at DSK Aviation building Duster kits for a while and from the shape of the fuselage etc. drew his inspiration for the Woodstock as a lightweight Duster but I don't know of any similarities beyond that.

Dean G
02-25-2012, 01:02 AM
Wade: I have plans for the 12 and 13 m Woodstock along with much info found on the net thru the years. Have not started to build yet just in the gathering info mode now. Also have digitized the build manual as well as other info that is in digital form. Can share it. Soaring mag had a story about the Woodstock, have a copy of it also.

markfrench
02-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Cool to see a Woodstock thread here at EAA. I have a 12M almost ready to cover (on hold for winter - no heat in hanger). Thinking of alternatives for covering it. Any ideas? I would like to get 13M planes. Seen photos on the web (13M) but none are inflight shots. Some folks in New Zealand have done some mods to the original plans but I'm not sure of the performance results.

tonycondon
02-27-2012, 06:59 AM
what do you mean alternatives for covering? I used Stewart Systems on my Cherokee II the year before last and was very happy with the process, will use it again on anything else I cover.

Zack Baughman
02-27-2012, 11:17 AM
I had no idea what a Maupin Woodstock was, so I Googled it. For the benefit of the rest of the readers who are curious - a photo from Wikipedia:

T. J.
02-27-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm a newly certificated glider pilot, 30 Jan. 2012. I have been interested in Woodstock off and on since the Feb. 1981 Sport Aviation article with pictures and info. by Jim Maupin. Jan. 2012 Sailplane Builder: www.esoaring.com has a large paragraph and picture of Jerry Gross' 13m Woodstock. Jan. 1980 Soaring has "A Design Critique Woodstock I" by Stan Hall. Both Sport Aviation and Soaring offer info. on the design, construction, and flight characteristics. Bob Wander, I believe, built one and spoke favorably of it's flight characteristics in a posting at Google groups rec.aviation.soaring 8 April, 2008. I'm very interested in building a Woodstock, if I can find plans.

markfrench
02-28-2012, 05:36 AM
what do you mean alternatives for covering? I used Stewart Systems on my Cherokee II the year before last and was very happy with the process, will use it again on anything else I cover.

Alternatives as in going carbon fiber, extending the plywood thinner to the trailing edge or hi-tech plastic shrink wrap. I am thinking of alternatives to the the aircraft standards because it's experimental. My folks at my local EAA chapter build lots of metal, fiberglass and composts.

tonycondon
02-28-2012, 07:38 AM
The picture on Wikipedia is the Woodstock that Bob Wander built, now owned by Matt Michael, who taught me to fly gliders. Its an absolutely beautiful piece of art and a really nice sailplane too. I've done a few cross countries with Matt side by side in my homebuilt Cherokee II. https://picasaweb.google.com/cherokee373Y/EndOfOctoberSoaring

Carbon fiber leading edges would be interesting to investigate. I've done some preliminary investigation into what it would take to do the same on a Cherokee II. It will definitely be more expensive than plywood but would have the potential to look a lot cooler. Also, Dick Butler is using a super lightweight sticky-back plastic covering for the control surfaces on Concordia called Solar-Trim which would be interesting to investigate. See more here: http://soaringcafe.com/2012/02/concordia-one-photo-a-day/#1. The guy, Chris, who is helping DB with the covering and other stuff, posts on RC Groups. I'm guessing that it is not robust enough to cover large open panels like between rib bays on full size aircraft but with the light wing loading of the Woodstock it might be worth investigating further, you never know. There are probably some large R/C gliders/planes that approach the same wing loading. God knows there are R/C gliders that have the same span!

markfrench
02-29-2012, 08:32 PM
I'll look up Solar-Trim and ask one of the guys at my EAA who is a big into RC (has his own airfield for RC that gets light A/C trying to land there!).

wadeg
03-07-2012, 10:31 PM
I am curious to hear from Woodstock flyers what they know about the durability of the spar/wing. According to NTSB, I see 2 fatals involving the Woodstock and they were caused by wing failure. One appears to be someone doing aggressive aerobatics and tossing out the spoilers at high speed and the other appears to be a guy without O2 flying at 16,500' around lenticulars.

Wondering if there are any opinions on the Woodstock spar and any ideas on beefing it up with some newer technology (carbon fiber, kevlar, fiberglass?)

markfrench
03-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I think you just answered your question about the durability of the spar/wing. The two failures you noted were way outside the flight envelope. This design has been successfully load tested.

chrisr
03-15-2012, 08:54 PM
I have plans, need a builders handbook, can anyone help? Chris

Aero104
05-24-2012, 04:15 PM
I am the guy who decided to use SolarTrim on Concordia. I would not recommend for anything other that solid composite surfaces.

However, you should really look at ORACOVER from Germany. Oracover ORATEX has Ultralight approval and is also being used on the Solar Challenger. It is very light and easy to apply.

http://www.oracover.de/index.php/katalog/nlayer/1723-1-general_aviation.html

Chris

cjohnson
08-12-2013, 09:20 PM
I'd like to build a woodstock. Looking for a "standard" builders manual or a 13m set of plans. Compensation expected.

Jim Hann
08-13-2013, 12:19 PM
I am the guy who decided to use SolarTrim on Concordia. I would not recommend for anything other that solid composite surfaces.

However, you should really look at ORACOVER from Germany. Oracover ORATEX has Ultralight approval and is also being used on the Solar Challenger. It is very light and easy to apply.

http://www.oracover.de/index.php/katalog/nlayer/1723-1-general_aviation.html

Chris
They have a website now: http://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/ and are working on USA approvals.

Victor Bravo
08-23-2013, 03:28 AM
There is a new covering material called Oratex, which is reported to be much lighter and faster (and less expensive) than even the Stewart System. It is based on the long-proven model airplane covering materials.

The ESA Experimental Soaring Association will surely be the best clearinghouse. Most of the Woodstock builders and flyers are members there. Our EAA Chapter member Murry Rozansky is the ESA president. Very mild aero cleanup, some cheap control seals, a few upgrades, and the long wingtip upgrade will yield a 26 or 27 to 1 glider that is capable of staying up in very light air. Definite high bang for the buck!

I believe a fellow named Gary Osoba has done some incredible flights in a Woodstock. In decent weather it would be a 500KM capable ship.