PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with the Samsung Galaxy WiFi version

WWhunter
02-13-2012, 09:18 AM
My wife recently bought me a Samsung Galaxy in the WiFi version. I am wondering what other members here have experienced as far as aviation apps on this tablet. I know the iPad is what most people are using for charts and GPS but I am all for competition and am not an Apple lover so got the Samsung Galaxy.
Is this unit capable of using it for downloading aviation charts so I can use it as a moving map on cross country flights? I have an AvMap EKP IV but the downloads to update charts get expensive every month for the few cross country flights I do. I mainly fly less than 250 miles of my home strip. Unfortunately my wife took a job over a 1,000 miles away so I want to fly back and forth occasionally.
Any app downloads you guys can tell me about or help would be greatly appreciated. Be forewarned......I am not to computer savvy!!
Thanks!
WW

Chris In Marshfield
02-13-2012, 09:52 AM
The only one that I'm aware of at the moment is Avilution Aviation Maps found here (not available on the Android Market, but you can download it from the site):

http://www.avilution.com/

T (http://www.avilution.com/)here is a subscription fee for the maps, but it's reasonable at $4.95/month (for now, until the government chart people change the pricing structure). So far, even though it's a young product, it's quite nice. It's the only one that I'm aware of that has a Search and Rescue Pattern option that will offer you an entry point, a bearing, and how long the SAR pattern legs are and how far apart they are.

If you've used or are used to the iPad interface, it'll take a little bit of getting used to. But if you're going in fresh, it's pretty easy to figure out. It also has a nice airport finder and information database interface.

While it has approach plates, etc., they aren't geo-referenced (yet).

All in all, a nice package!

~Chris

FrankCordrey
02-13-2012, 11:55 AM
I reviewed the different tablets and decided on the Galaxy Tab 10.1......aviation apps are growing for the Android market.

The best compilation of Android apps I found was here:
http://chomp.com/q/search?platform=android&q_source=browse_list&q=best+aviation+apps+android&p=153

You might be especially interested in the Naviator....looks pretty good ( I have NOT tried it as yet ). This is free.

You might also investigate the gps I use......iFly 700. http://ifly.adventurepilot.com/HOME.aspx
I have the 700. They have just come out with the 720 ( mo better ). VFR chart updates are $69 per year and IFR updates are $109 per year ( update as frequently as you wish ).

Yes, this is a "plug" for the Adventure Pilot iFly 700. I use it. I like it. It is simple, easy, geo-referenced moving map display.

Another Android app you may find interesting is FlightIntel for Pilots. This has info like the AFD but you can also add weather reporting stations to your favorites. Rather nice.

The aviation apps I currently have on my tab are: NOAA Surface weather link, AOPA link, CSC Duats link, I have the Aviation Weather Android app, E6B+ Android app and the FlightIntel for Pilots Android app.

This provides me info on the tab, at the aircraft for checking airport data and weather. Quite nice when the FBO is closed.

Any questions.... frank_cordrey@hotmail.com

Frank

WWhunter
02-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Okay guys, I have been searching for different apps and on the Avilution site they have an update that I am understanding makes the app less desirable.

Update: Avilution AviationMaps is no longer available on the Android Market due to a dispute with Google regarding whether a subscription model represents a violation of their terms of service.

Anyone know what this means? Did I screw up going with the Galaxy instead of the iPad?

Chris In Marshfield
02-13-2012, 12:39 PM
It's nothing nefarious, don't worry :-)

Avilution Aviation Maps used to be available on the Android Market. But because there's a subscription portion of it (you have to subscribe to get the maps), it conflicted with Google's rules on application sales. They have a blog post on the issue here:

http://www.avilution.com/?p=269

N (http://www.avilution.com/?p=269)o worries :cool:

~Chris

Chris In Marshfield
02-13-2012, 12:42 PM
As Frank noted, I am also an iFly owner. I have the apps on my tablet (iPad), but still use the iFly in the plane because it's the "right size". The iPad is too big for my personal taste. But if I had a good 7" tablet (Galaxy Tab 7, for example), I'd definitely be looking for a good Android-based aviation app to compare it to.

~Chris

Chris In Marshfield
02-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Oooo... Naviator is certainly a contender, isn't it? And it's got Seattle Avionics' geo-referenced plates. I looked at this one briefly a week or two ago, but completely forgot about it until now.

~Chris

WWhunter
02-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Naviator has some great reviews thats for sure. I am a neophyte on this tablet, heck, I still use a non-smart phone due to my stubbornness. Or better yet, my fright from learning something new.

Chris In Marshfield
02-14-2012, 07:51 AM
For continued information and education, this was posted by Avilution on Facebook this morning:

"New Baro Altimeter option for devices which have barometers (e.g. Motorola Xoom and Galaxy Nexus). When operating in unpressurized environments, it may be more accurate than GPS altitude for some users."

WWhunter
02-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Chris, I sure appreciate the continuation of info you are providing. Heck I am still trying to figure out how this tablet basically works. :)
I am using the 10.1 which may be a little big for flying use but my way of thinking was to use the biggest screen I could so I could see it decently. A couple of years ago I started having trouble reading the screen on my handheld so while at Oshkosh I bought an AvMap EKP IV and have been fairly satisfied with it other than the high price that is required to constantly update the maps every cycle. I mounted this GPS at a good spot in the plane where I was able to read it through my bifocals. My thinking is the larger screen of the 10.1 Galaxy will be even easier to see than the AvMap. Its hell getting old!!! ;)

edwheeler
02-16-2012, 09:57 PM
I have used an iPAD for about a year with Wingx Pro7, JeppTC & JeppFD. I found that the iPAD does a great job but is too large to use comfortably even in my Bonanza.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7Plus which fits nicely on the control wheel. Since I have a subscription for WingX, they also allow you to run it on the Galaxy Tab. I use it for approach plates and since I also have a subscription with Seattle Avionics for georeferenced plates on the iPAD, they also let you use it on the Galaxy Tab. Great products. I am told that Hilton Software is in the process of upgrading their program to the WingX pro7 status for the Android Market.

Until then I am using Naviator for the moving map program. It does an excellent job and they keep improving their program.

I now cary the Galaxy Tab everywhere instead of the iPAD. I use it with a T Mobile hot spot so I have speedy 4G service when I am out of range of a Wi-FY connection. Also I can use it with the iPAD or any of my other computers.

Keep up your flying speed: Ed

Awhite
02-16-2012, 11:26 PM
I have the Galaxy 10.1 32 GB and have naviator. So far I have only flown localy to check it out and it seems to work well. I am planning a trip yo Sun & Fun and have all of the vfr charts for the trip loaded, and the route plotted. It updates TFRs and any other data each time it is booted with internet acces. It can also gather real time data if you include a cellular data access account. The GPS works well. One thing that could use an upgrade in Naviator is that the charts are not stiched together, so as your flight progresses, the next chart needs to be manualy selected. It is easy, but anadditional task. Airport information is pulled up by touching the identifier. Naviator offers a free 30 day trial, with an introductory subscription price of $49.95, although I'm sure that will go up with the digital data changes in April.

subnoize
02-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Hello,

I see some posting that the only software on Android is Avilution but they are terrible mistaken.

http://naviatorapp.com is one of about 4 others available if you search...

Naviator is much more advanced. The route planning with the rubber band style editing and the screen layout for navigational information on the corners works better than Avilutions interface. Avilution puts it all on top of the little airplane icon you can never see because its unchangably white.

Avilution does this crazy thing where in preflight planning it works just great. You will get to the end of the run way to take off and sudden it will demand you log into your Google account to verify you paid this month...

For some weird reason Avioution has to be updated every time the format for METARS changes or the service changes and sometimes the app will just flat out quit on you because of it.
Naviator just shows you the raw METARS if it can't understand it or nothing if the services protocol changes. Much better than hanging forever, showing a black screen or quiting on you mid-flight.

I've been told that Avilution is using Amazon's store now which means udates take a bout 30 days to work through the system and get out to you the user.. This is probably why Avilution is posting the beta releases on their web age.

Naviator will have NEXRAD in the next few weeks. The developers are said to have something major in the works coming up really soon... Speculation ranges from "synthetic vision" to "single glass" cockpit type stuff but I'm just going to be happy with the weather stuff.

DISCLOSURE: I have an active subscription with Avilution. I purchased WingX (what a waste of money!)

subnoize
02-19-2012, 01:46 PM
DISCLOSURE: Forgot, I of course have Naviator as well as InFlight from BBFlight LLC. and have tested OpenFlight, Single Glass Aviation and one other that I can't rememberfrom Germany. I use only Avilution and Naviator now. I use Avilution for weather and Naviator for navigation during short flights.

I use a stopwatch and a paper map for anything longer than two hours in addition to a garmin. So should you. If you read the disclaimers you'd realize all this software, even for the iPaddies is all toy and no pro!

subnoize
02-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Sorry, the link is http://www.naviatorapp.com

Looking back at my post you can see from the typos and weird spacing I'm making my comments via my Moto Xoom. I'm at a little strip down here in Georgia waiting for some rain and clouds to pass!

WWhunter
03-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Okay, I see now that AnyWhere maps has an android app also. Guess we have one more to try out and see if it is worthy. :)
http://store.controlvision.com/android.html#page=General-Info

Chris In Marshfield
03-28-2012, 06:21 AM
When I went to the AnywhereMap web site, I was a little turned off at how cluttered/disorganized that the display seemed, but maybe it was the particular device that they did the screen captures on and that I'm more familiar with some of the other products. The screen shots that they had didn't do the application any service really, at least in my opinion.

I did, however, see an article and accompanying video on AvWeb this morning from Paul B. at Sun 'n' Fun, and it puts the product in a lot better light. So far, I like what I see.

http://www.avweb.com/news/snf/SunNFun2012_Anywhere_Map_Multi_Platform_App_206395-1.html

~ (http://www.avweb.com/news/snf/SunNFun2012_Anywhere_Map_Multi_Platform_App_206395-1.html)Chris

Awhite
03-28-2012, 08:31 PM
I have a Gallaxy 10.1 running Naviator. and have the annual subscription at $49.95 per year. The app store has a free 30 day trial. It has worked well and is updated each time it is opened with wifi available. The one thing I wish it had is seemles charts. They have announced they are woking in that direction, but at this time it takes two clicks to change charts as you move from one to the next.
Al

subnoize
03-29-2012, 04:10 AM
AnywhereMaps looks nice but it doesn't have the whole route planning thing that Avilution and Naviator haved. It looks more like an in flight kind of app. We'll see though. Competition is good!

Naviator is rumored to use the new Mode S Out WiFi receivers on an upcoming release. But then again I've heard from someone else that it has the AHRS WiFi which would be more towards the "single glass" cockpit we are all dreaming of... so we have to keep our eyes open! Exciting times!

snz

WWhunter
09-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Update...
I have also downloaded AOPA FlyQ and have been looking at the newer Anywhere Map Freedom app.
I gave up on the Naviator after trying, with 'trying' being the operative word. I could not get it to work worth a darn. Not sure what the problem was. I was on a commercial flight and couldn't get it off the original map at the beginning. Try as I might it was hopeless.
Has anyone needed an external GPS antenna with the Galaxy?

Jim Rosenow
09-06-2012, 06:49 PM
No one has mentioned the Garmin Pilot Android app. Can't speak to how it works on a Galaxy, but kicks butt on a Xoom. $49 a year gets you geo-referenced (follow the airplane on the map) sectionals, low/hi IFR with weather overlays. Includes downloadable approach plates in the main app, and AOPA's (I think) database that pops up the info on the map.

For another $49 a year you can add geo-ref'd approach plates, and for $29 add SafeTaxi (follow the aiplane around the airport diagram).

A cool thing is that the license is good for two devices for these prices. We use the Xoom for primary 'back-up' (snicker :) nav, and my DroidX Android phone backs up the 'back-up'. The app looks great on the Droid also...very usable.

The main app will do everything we need plus for VFR. They have a one-month free trial subcription, also.

Jim

PS- We use the internal GPS's on both the Xoom and the Droid in our 172 and Citabria with no lost signal so far.

subnoize
09-07-2012, 09:11 AM
No one has mentioned the Garmin Pilot Android app. Can't speak to how it works on a Galaxy, but kicks butt on a Xoom

PS- We use the internal GPS's on both the Xoom and the Droid in our 172 and Citabria with no lost signal so far.

Garmin has this all wrapped up. The GDL 39 pretty much puts your nav in the tablet. All that is missing is the AHRS and you can have just engine instruments and a radio on your dashboard.

If you are looking for the best way to fly with your Xoom or iPaddie and can't find a suitable mount, try http://www.tietco.com

snz

Mike M
09-12-2012, 02:24 PM
I have the Galaxy 10.1 32 GB...

what type aircraft, please? canopy or cabin?

Mike M
09-12-2012, 02:26 PM
... I'm making my comments via my Moto Xoom...

is that the display you use in the aircraft? what type aircraft, canopy or cabin? screen readability?

subnoize
09-13-2012, 04:01 AM
is that the display you use in the aircraft? what type aircraft, canopy or cabin? screen readability?

The Xoom is a Motorol Tablet computer. Its actually an old model. Doesn't do so well in the direct sun light. The aircraft I fly are rentals and they range between the FK9 to the FA04 Peregrine.

The point is this; get a tablet, any tablet and get Garmin software. Get the Garmin ADS reciever and you are done. Android devices and Apple devices are really simular, Android is far cheaper. Android also has a barometer sensor in case your GPS gives out. I tend to like the back-up altimeter in device. I'm pretty sure Apple will eventually have one... eventually.

snz

WWhunter
09-13-2012, 05:39 AM
No one has mentioned the Garmin Pilot Android app. Can't speak to how it works on a Galaxy, but kicks butt on a Xoom. $49 a year

The main app will do everything we need plus for VFR. They have a one-month free trial subcription, also.

Jim

Jim,
I just read the customers reviews....One guy sure seems quite displeased (understatement!) I may give the 30 day trail a go. Have a long flight to go on next weekend. Only issue with me is that I am sort of computer illiterate! I think a drunk monkey could do better than I do with computers/tablets/smart phones.
Keith

Jim Rosenow
09-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Jim,
I just read the customers reviews....One guy sure seems quite displeased (understatement!) I may give the 30 day trail a go. Have a long flight to go on next weekend. Only issue with me is that I am sort of computer illiterate! I think a drunk monkey could do better than I do with computers/tablets/smart phones.
Keith

That's the only way to see what works for you...How it works for me, or others, is mostly irrelevent, I think.

Awhite
09-14-2012, 10:32 AM
what type aircraft, please? canopy or cabin?
I have used it in my Luscombe, as well as my Dyke Delta with equal results. It will even lock on and get its position in my living room!

Awhite
09-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I have been using Naviator for 9months now and hve used it in my Luscmbe, and my Dyke Delta. The subscription is 49.95 after a free 30 day trial. The subscription covers vfr&ifr charts as well as approach plates. The one thing I would like to see is seamless transition between charts. Currently you need to select the next chart when transitioning from one to the next. This requires two clicks. Trips can be preloaded including stops etc. The dadabase updates each time the unit is booted with wifi access, and includes complete airport info with one click on the aiorport designator. For inflight web access, a hotspot or some other internet connection is required.

subnoize
09-15-2012, 07:41 AM
I have been using Naviator for 9months now and hve used it in my Luscmbe, and my Dyke Delta. The subscription is 49.95 after a free 30 day trial. The subscription covers vfr&ifr charts as well as approach plates. The one thing I would like to see is seamless transition between charts. Currently you need to select the next chart when transitioning from one to the next. This requires two clicks.

Naviator was last updated in May. Even with 10,000+ downloads I don't think he got that many subscriptions. I suspect he's not going to continue development.

Garmin Pilot has continous maps, NEXRAD, much easier flight planning, taxi w/GPS (safe taxi), geolocated approach plates, gas prices, weather integration into flight planning, route weather and a very responsive customer servive. The intergration with Bendix and of course Garmin equipment in the cockpit is of course not suported by any other app on Android.

Finally, the ADS from Garmin, GDL39, is like your American Express card, don't leave home without it! When Atlanta approach calls me with a radar contact I can reply, "No visual but I was keeping an eye on him with ADS." With Georgia's notoriously hazy weather, knowing who is floating around you in the soup is really nice!

PS. I fly a tiny FK9 with steam gauges so the ADS on my tablet adds a lot!

snz

Mike M
09-16-2012, 04:18 PM
The point is this;

the point is this - i fly canopy aircraft, mustangII, zodiac 650, thorp t18, van's, etc. the best software in the world won't show up on a dim screen. that's why i asked what type aircraft. thanks.

WWhunter
09-17-2012, 07:20 AM
the point is this - i fly canopy aircraft, mustangII, zodiac 650, thorp t18, van's, etc. the best software in the world won't show up on a dim screen. that's why i asked what type aircraft. thanks.

Since I am the originator of this thread, why don't you start a new thread asking your question as to not get this thread off topic.

subnoize
09-18-2012, 04:06 AM
Even iPaddies shrink from the sun. Not one tablet I know of works well in the direct sun so don't get one.

Another way of saying it is this; what makes a device readable under direct sunlight (right now) makes the screen ugly as hell for things like pictures and video. So, the worst devices for direct sunlight are the best looking tablets. Also, the better looking screens use more battery power.

snz

Mike M
09-18-2012, 05:32 AM
Since I am the originator of this thread, why don't you start a new thread asking your question as to not get this thread off topic.

didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. the thread title is "Any experience with the Samsung Galaxy WiFi version" and it seemed rational to ask where and how experience with the units and the apps was gained. the best app is worthless if the screen is unreadable. an ipad 3 in a canopy aircraft is readable when held just "so" and i hoped to find out how the samsung galaxy stacked up.

thanks anyway.

WWhunter
09-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Didn't "ruffle" my feathers at all, just trying to ask that another thread be started so as not to get the main topic off of the question about different applications used for these tablets. If you read my original post, the question specifically asks about applications. I see too many threads going way off topic due to someone thinking they are the only person in the world that exists and need their question answered without starting a thread more relevant to what they are asking. You had a very relevant question, just felt it would have made a good thread on its own as I am sure guys have come up with different ideas as to ways of lessening the effects of the suns degradation of viewing capabilities.

Mike M
10-25-2012, 07:02 AM
i've bought a samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1" and loaded avare and route 66 for mapping applications. they work fine and i can read the screen in a mustang II.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ds.avare

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.route66.maps5&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5yb 3V0ZTY2Lm1hcHM1Il0.

subnoize
10-26-2012, 04:49 AM
I am still using my Xoom original with Garmin Pilot but added a GDL-39 and love it! When I'm not in a Mode S equiped ride I sometimes lose traffic when the last guy in 50 nm leaves but that rarely happens in Georgia. I would never have thought my internal GPS was THAT FAR OFF! Yikes! I will never trust a phone GPS again. You will see where they claim to be accurate to within 2 meters but in truth that are as much as 200 feet off in any of the three axis.

I personally believe Garmin Pilot is the best app on Android, even without the GDL-39. The safetaxi, weather panels, airport data are all good. Add a GDL-39 and it only gets better.

snz

WWhunter
10-26-2012, 06:43 AM
subnoize,
I have recently become aware of Garmins app. Having owned many Garmin products and seeing their downturn (my opinion) in the way they charge for everything and the way things are not as user friendly as they once were I was gradually getting away from their products. Case in point, I have one of their NUVI 1390T auto GPS's in my vehicle....it has been nothing but trouble and at times the mapping is way off without info that is supposed to be there. I got very tired of always trying to update it and then get to a location and nothing is there. Got pretty disenfranchised with their products......ok, got off topic.
I will state upfront that I am surely no computer savy person. I get by but do get frustrated with them quite easily.
Maybe I will try their app and see if it is worthy of my use. ;) Thanks again for the replies everyone.

WWhunter
10-27-2012, 07:49 AM
:mad: OUCH!!! $799 for that antenna!!!! DANG that isn't going to happen anytime soon. Little out of my budget right now.

subnoize
10-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Antenna? The ADSB "in" devices include 32 separate recievers if I'm not mistaken. 2 for the ADSB system, up to 30 for WAAS GPS, then you have an altimeter and a computer that processes it all. Then for communication with your tablet you have yet another tranceiver for Blutooth. $799.00 is about right.

What you get is inflight, subscription free weather, traffic and truly accurate GPS. The GPS in you tablet is up to 200 feet off at any time. Next devices out will be a Blutooth AHRS which means your cockpit will be portable, except for engine instruments.

GDL-39 is worth every dime in congested areas...

snz

subnoize
10-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Garmin Pilot by itself will provide everything but in flight weather and traffic. If you have Verizon you can get coverage in about 70% of the country. AT&T you will get coverage in about 30% everyone else is les (this being the difference between between tower spacing vs. GSM and CDMA technologies being used). I was getting weather inflight in about 95% of georgia at altitudes above 5k feet.But we also have high traffic so to me the GDL-39 is priceless. If you are kicking around outside of controlled airspace without a transponder, don't bother.

Garmin Pilot is completely usable without any additional hardware. I found it to be my favorite just from a purely nerd perspective with all the features available for flight planning. The flight plan file service is also a wonderful tool. I have quickly become very dependent for better or for worse on Garmin Pilot on the ground, as well as in the air.

snz

subnoize
10-31-2012, 03:39 AM
huh, look out the window? At what? You must be flying Sport VFR in the desert... 200 feet can get me killed.

LTE is 700mhz and who in the FCC is chasing down the people riding commercial who didn't turn off their cell phones before getting on the plane?

Even in Sport VFR conditions in Georgia you can have very low visibility during the summer from haze. I and a friend of mine can recall with great detail a plane we encountered last summer, but just not what type of plane. The seats were gray with heavy blue stitching, it had steam gauges and slightly darkened canopy. I can't tell you what make or model bu he was going about 200 knots so that narrows the search. He was drinking a QT 32 oz drink, probably Coke. I don't think he ever knew he almost munged us but we sure do count that as one of our 9 lives... won't happen again!

Funny what you remember about such instances, right?

Another time I was with a CFI climbing out of KRYY about 4 miles SE of KVPC. We heard a guy crossing mid-field KVPC self announce he was at 4,500 feet on a heading of 90. We were at 4,500 heading 310 so we climbed to avoid. The other pilot was not at 4,500, he was at 5,500 on a heading of 150. We were looking eyeball to eyeball with this guy in a 172. Had the conditions been hazy we would have come darn close to making metal and carbon fiber into dust at 5,500 feet...

I could go on...

Anything to increase your safety whether it be traffic awareness, in-flight weather or more accurate location, its worth the money. If you find yourself thinking like a Luddite then maybe its time to park your plane. When the 30,000+ drones start crowding the skies if you don't have accurate traffic you will make metal at altitude... that I can assure you!

snz

WWhunter
10-31-2012, 06:22 AM
subnoize,
I see both sides to this and I have had a couple of 'close calls' similar to yours. One was a 182 that I nearly had to clean the tire marks off the top of my wing. I was on final and the ba$tard must have thought he had priority and was 'better than me'. Scared the $HIT out of me. Arrogant a$$ couldn't say he didn't see me either since he nearly ran out of his plane after he landed, possibly due to my 'scolding' him on the radio and requesting a talk.
My may objective for my Samsung Galaxy is for charts and was hoping for weather but alas, my tablet is wifi and not cell phone capable. Not computer techie enough to have thought I would be better off with cell phone type. Well, the monthly fees for service was another factor and the fact that where I live cell phone service can be hit and miss.

I AM a look out the window type, heck if I wasn't required to have a chart in the plane I probably wouldn't even have one 99% of the time due to the majority of my flights are in my local area. Even flying from one coast to the other I use minimal instruments. I love to fly so I just head a particular direction and use basic navigation skills to get to my final destination.

subnoize
11-02-2012, 06:22 AM
my goodness, i struck a nerve! sorry about that, but it won't change my point.

No, you have come in and started arguing with me about stuff that is off topic. Secondly, you are speaking on a topic which you have a.) no experience with b.) have no knowledge of and c.) apparently very little pilot experience in general.

at the other traffic, of course. one example. i was joining #3 in a form flight while lead and #2 were trying to figure out where the traffic nearby was. joined up, i realized they were BOTH heads-down looking at their magic boxes, neither looking for traffic, and #2 not looking at lead! look OUT THE WINDOW. p.s. they both selected "stby" for a moment and their traffic alerts went away. go figger.

OK, so here is your first mistake; ADSB isn't to find the guy you can see, its the guy you can't see. You don't use ADSB for traffic patterns (and this point of yours is why I believe you have very little experience as a pilot in general). The guy you can't see is beyond your visual abilities, whether your eyeballs are limited by haze, clouds, behind you or simple distance. If you believe that such a system is there to help you see the guy you are flying next to, you are in more trouble than I realized!

a 200 foot nav error can get you killed? nav error? VMC? how DID we all survive without WAAS GPS for a century?

Example: My favorite fishing hole's strip is in a valley. There is no way to fly a pattern around the strip, you have to come up the valley, straight in to do a soft field, short field landing. This is where I start noticing my phone and tablets are way the hell off on altitude and location. I'm not talking about navigating to my little field, I care about the fact that if I were approaching the field from a cloud layer, don't use the damn phone or tablet's GPS! 200 feet means you are either in a side of a mountain or in the trees or too high to make the strip, take your pick.

thanks, i learned something.

Good! There is hope for you!

so, you only obey rules designed for public safety when somebody is watching? look up "anti-authority" in the Risk Management Handbook - FAA-H-8083-2 - by Federal Aviation Administration.

OK, so now I'm lost. I thought you were talking about FCC regulations? Why are you now talking about FAA risk management? What exactly does FCC regulations about antiquated cell phone networks (which are almost entirely non-operational) have to do with modern day FAA risk management?

enlighten me. what is "sport vfr" and how is it different from "vfr"? what class airspace were you in during the blue stitching encounter? what was your inflight visibility?

Ok, so here you go; Sport VFR is shorthand for "flying VFR under Sport Pilot regulations" which means you are flying daylight hours ONLY. Private Pilots can fly VFR at night, which brings us back to ADSB and it's usefulness. Georgia has high humidity and VFR night flying can be challenging to spot traffic.

Are you even a pilot? I'm starting to wonder now...

a guy was more than 3000ft above an airport and announced his direction and altitude wrong. wonder why he announced anything? well, he did, you took precautionary action and were operating in vmc, saw him even though he was wrong (but unwittingly on the correct altitude for hemispherical cruising rules, congratulations to him) and no collision. see-and-avoid system worked. restate the problem?

Here again you fail to understand, ADSB would have shown me the traffic BEFORE I have visual contact with it. I would not have started climbing and made no change on heading. Instead, I relied on false information and actually put myself into danger. So, this is an excellent example of how ADSB would have helped out. Long before I had visual contact I could have avoided the situation completely.

not if it doesn't work or isn't needed. and it won't if both aviators are looking at their screens while closing on traffic. inflight weather for a trip around the neighborhood? distraction. WAAS accuracy for pattern work? distraction. and the current collision avoidance systems can't work if the collision hazard has no electronic output. hawks, eagles, buzzards, ultralights, and aircraft without electrical systems don't and won't have electronic outputs, even after ADS-B is required. read the reg. read it to the birdbrains, too, if you like - but don't expect them to buy transponders.

Again, you need to read up on ADSB! You would know that there are two methods to obtain traffic with ADSB; 1.) plane to plane and 2.) ground to plane. In your situation the "ground to plane" would relay to my ADSB "In" what ground radar was tracking (Mode-C or old transponders would have altitude and no transponder would still result in direction and speed). I would be able to see traffic up to 50 miles around me or further depending on conditions. Anyways, who flys around watching their dashboards? Your argument on this point is just stupid.

not a luddite, a realist. it doesn't matter how many drones, the basics won't change, we still won't have accurate traffic if we don't look out the window. i've flown with traffic avoidance systems for years. i'm still amazed by how many people say "wow i never realized how many aircraft are out there" while watching the box and ignoring the stuff going by the plexiglass. it doesn't matter how many transponder-equipped aircraft are one, two, or five miles away. yes, collision avoidance aids are nice. no, avionics won't prevent all midair collisions.

LOOK OUT THE WINDOW.

No, you are a Troll, off topic, seriously ignorant about ADSB and completely way off base about how to use in cockpit traffic reporting systems! Now, my advice is read up on ADSB and start your own topic on "I Hate ADSB" because this topic is about Android OS and available flight software.

Thank you, have a nice day.

snz

Mike M
11-03-2012, 07:45 PM
subnoize is right about one thing, this was getting way off course. sorry about that. so i pulled my off-topic posts.