PDA

View Full Version : Kits to recover seats of PA22

LPconley
02-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Can anyone advise of a company that supplies ready made kits that include the foam and covers for the seats of a PA22, both back and front seats? I have looked at Airtex and they are rather expensive. I know you get what you pay for, but I am also doing a recover of the plane and money is short.

Joe LaMantia
02-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Check-out the "Short Wing Piper Club" (SWPC") if there is anything you need for a PA22 somebody over there will have an answer. Just "Google" them.

Joe
:cool:

turtle
02-11-2012, 11:31 AM
I feel your pain. I'll be doing some recovering this year as well as the interior. Probably won't have enough money to put fuel in it after I'm done.

Best bet is to find someone locally who can sew upholstery. Someone with a machine in their basement advertising on the bulletin board at the supermarket. Anyone with a yellow page ad is going to be too expensive. They might even know where a fabric wholesaler that sells to the public is. My fabric guy found that he could buy a temper foam mattress cheaper than getting foam from a wholesaler.

The PA22 was certified under CAR3, so the burn testing requirements are a lot more lax than something like a 172. This has been discussed on both shortwing forums. Nothing wrong with Airtex but you are paying more for the higher certification than higher quality.