PDA

View Full Version : Oh no... Moller's back...

Dana
02-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Oh no... and better than ever! Note he's quoting a range at a speed of 154 mph for an LSA flying car (http://www.moller.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=172&Itemid=114)... when the LSA max speed in level flight is 138 mph... but then facts were never an impediment for Moller... http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/images/smilies/smile%20happy.gif

Gotta love the "Neuera" flying saucer... only thing missing is the hippie couple seated in his 1970 version!

Pretty funny really... just about every statement on his new website is an opening for a joke from anybody who knows anything of his history...

steveinindy
02-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Gotta love the "Neuera" flying saucer... only thing missing is the hippie couple seated in his 1970 version!
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y58/usafmedic45/AncientAliens_flyingcars.jpg

Flyfalcons
02-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Okay......who has the heart to inform Moller that LSA only applies to aircraft with one engine?

Kyle Boatright
02-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Moeller has never left. He's been making glacial (if any) progress for 40 years. Every 5 years or so, the media forgets about his last wave of publicity and gives him another free round of articles and TV reports. A few hopeful souls send in more investment dollars, and he sinks out of sight for another 5 years. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I remember reading about his SkyCar in Popular Science back in the mid-70's.

steveinindy
02-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Okay......who has the heart to inform Moller that LSA only applies to aircraft with one engine?

As I pointed out in that other thread (the "What killed GA?" debacle) arguing with zealots and others afflicted with severe emotional problems is a lot like trying to teach a pig to sing: it never works, wastes a lot of time and irritates the pig.

flyingriki
02-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Moeller has never left. He's been making glacial (if any) progress for 40 years. Every 5 years or so, the media forgets about his last wave of publicity and gives him another free round of articles and TV reports. A few hopeful souls send in more investment dollars, and he sinks out of sight for another 5 years. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I remember reading about his SkyCar in Popular Science back in the mid-70's.

Kyle's got this right. I grew up a few blocks from Paul and remember the coolest thing about him then was his Avanti. Since then, besides teaching at UC Davis and developing good programs there, he has done really well with the SuperTrap mufflers:

"SuperTrapp Industries - Performance Exhaust Pioneers
The history of the SuperTrapp muffler begins in the Davis, Calif. garage of inventor Paul Moller. In the late sixties he was immersed in experimental trials of the XM-3, his early attempt at a flying automobile. In desperate needs of funds, Moller began looking for an intermediate, far easier target for his newly developed tunable disc technology. Eventually Moller turned to a passion of his – motorcycles – and the SuperTrapp muffler was born, soon becoming one of the most popular aftermarket accessories ever made for motorcycles."

And he has done well with real estate development in south Davis. I have no clue why he continues to embarrass himself with this silly flying car stuff. Myabe some day he'll have the last laugh.....!

Frank Giger
02-11-2012, 03:55 AM
I'm hoping he develops some really cool spin-off products due to research, but the flying car thing is zombie tech at its finest.

Then again, he's crazy as a fox - I'm sure his pursuit of the Jetsons has opened a helluvalot of doors in networking and engineering, and he's definately an expert on ducted fans.

Joe LaMantia
02-11-2012, 09:22 AM
I was hopeful that Steve's last post on the " What Killed GA thread?" put a stake through the "flying car" subjects' heart. It's been a dead horse for years, but if there is some grant money out there...hmmmm$$$!

Joe
:cool:

Boeing B-17G 42-231465
02-11-2012, 09:52 AM
More like:

steveinindy
02-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Ha!

steveinindy
02-11-2012, 06:48 PM
but if there is some grant money out there...hmmmm$$$!

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I'm willing to argue that a lot of the subsystems I'm developing for my designs are applicable to a flying car if it gets me funding. LOL

Bill
02-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I'm willing to argue that a lot of the subsystems I'm developing for my designs are applicable to a flying car if it gets me funding. LOL

Unfortunately, that's the way the system works:(. Its one sign of a dying culture and I am sorry to see it come to pass.

steveinindy
02-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Its one sign of a dying culture and I am sorry to see it come to pass.

How so Bill?