PDA

View Full Version : You might be hopelessly addicted to aviation if....

steveinindy
02-05-2012, 09:27 PM
...you are looking at places to honeymoon in Hawaii and the fact that one of the bed and breakfasts overlooks a major airport makes you want to stay there more than the stunning sunsets and the lovely oceanview they advertise.

Anyone else have some to share?

Frank Giger
02-05-2012, 11:49 PM
You measure fuel efficiency in your truck by gallons per hour.

A fancy twin lands at the field and your first thought is "f---ing Mac!"

When someone asks how the weather is outside you respond with wind speed, ceiling and visibility.

You actually turn on CSPAN thirty minutes before the FAA speaks before a Congressional Committee, and DVR it in case you miss something.

Your ball cap costs six bucks and the sunglasses cost six hundred.

steveinindy
02-06-2012, 03:46 AM
When someone asks how the weather is outside you respond with wind speed, ceiling and visibility.

....or if you call the local ASOS/AWOS to get that information. Double if you have all the local ones stored in your cell phone.

A fancy twin lands at the field and your first thought is "f---ing Mac!"
Around here, it's exactly the opposite. We see a taildragger, it's an odd day.

Charlie Becker
02-06-2012, 07:17 AM
You have more than one homebuilt under construction in your basement.
You have more than one aircraft engine in your basement.
Your dog is named after an aviation hero, company or tool.
Over 70% of your clothing has an EAA logo on it.
You have already scheduled your vacation for the last week in July.

Guilty of all but the last....somebody has to be responsible during AirVenture!:)

JimRice85
02-06-2012, 08:44 AM
I was born into flying. My mom learned to fly from my dad while pregnant with me. She became a CFI. Dad was a WWII B-24 pilot and 20,000 hour ag pilot. I grew up with antiques and homebuilts and thought it was normal.

Today, I own a Cub and a Swift and share a hangar with my brother who also owns a Cub and just sold his PT-26. The walls are lined with aircraft engines and parts. We fly most weekends and talk almost exclusively flying when we are together, much to out wives chagrin.

We are both planning a week's vacation to fly our Cubs to Oshkosh. Both cubs have been in the family since the late 60s. We are both always looking at airplanes to buy despite having for only one more plane.

MickYoumans
02-06-2012, 11:38 AM
....or if you call the local ASOS/AWOS to get that information. Double if you have all the local ones stored in your cell phone.Guilty as charged! I don't think we would be here if we were not addicted,

Joe LaMantia
02-06-2012, 03:45 PM
I would have responded to this sooner, but I spent the day taking a neighbor out in the club Archer. The weather here this winter has been GREAT, and I've been flying as much as my budget will allow.

Joe
:cool:

Glastar N767JA
02-06-2012, 04:19 PM
If you park your car outside so you can keep the plane parts in the garage.
If your vacation requests for the last week of July go through 2015
If you talk about your significant other in terms of her aircraft, ratings, building skills, flying skills, and/or job in the military.
If you describe your friends to other friends regarding where the "training wheel" is on their airplane(s).
and the list goes on.... :)

Hal Bryan
02-06-2012, 05:11 PM
...you are looking at places to honeymoon in Hawaii and the fact that one of the bed and breakfasts overlooks a major airport makes you want to stay there more than the stunning sunsets and the lovely oceanview they advertise.

That was exactly why my wife and I went to St. Martin on our honeymoon!

CarlOrton
02-06-2012, 06:33 PM
If your dining room table holds your completed horizontal stabilizer until it's ready for mating with the fuselage.
If your spouse says, "Gee, Hon, why don't we sell our house and move into the hangar?"
If your family can sit around the dinner table and have entire conversations using nothing but acronyms. (ATC son, pilot son, soon-to-be pilot wife, and me).

steveinindy
02-07-2012, 01:41 AM
That was exactly why my wife and I went to St. Martin on our honeymoon!

What's funny is that my fiancee is reading this over my shoulder and laughing about it. I think I've landed myself a great one. :)

Charlie Becker
02-07-2012, 08:16 AM
If your spouse says, "Gee, Hon, why don't we sell our house and move into the hangar?"

Any spouse who says this is a keeper !

Frank Giger
02-08-2012, 02:28 AM
- You can't find your car keys but know exactly where your log book is.

- Aircraft Spruce sends you a Valentine's Day card. And they recognize your voice when you call.

- Your pilot's license is in front of your driver's license in your wallet.

- You forget exactly what day your wedding anniversary is on but know when your biannual is due.

- You don't know your license tag number on the car you drive every day but rattle off your N number reflexively.

- Someone describes a car as a "sporty one" and you reply that they don't sell them.

Joe LaMantia
02-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Frank,

You've hit on one, I have 2 cars but can't remember the plate numbers, I know all of the "N" numbers of the aircraft I've flown! I drive almost every day and fly 2 or 3 times a month...hmmmmm!

Joe

steveinindy
02-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Frank,

You've hit on one, I have 2 cars but can't remember the plate numbers, I know all of the "N" numbers of the aircraft I've flown! I drive almost every day and fly 2 or 3 times a month...hmmmmm!

Joe

But how often are you required to say your license plate number while driving? ;)

The easier way to do it is just to get a vanity plate of your N-number. That's my plan for my next car.

Joe LaMantia
02-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Steve,

Good idea! Now I'll have to choose to a favorite airplane....hmmmm! Life is full of choices.

Joe
:eek:

steveinindy
02-09-2012, 02:53 PM
- Aircraft Spruce sends you a Valentine's Day card. And they recognize your voice when you call.

If they recognize your voice and respond with "Hey Steve, what would you like a sample of to set fire to this time?"

- You forget exactly what day your wedding anniversary is on but know when your biannual is due.

You know why all the numbers I have reserved involve the date my fiancee and I are getting married right? ;)

Frank Giger
02-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Your birthday, date of first check ride, biannual, and wedding day could all be 1 January and you'd still forget it.

Trust me on this.

steveinindy
02-09-2012, 11:39 PM
I've been married before and I still remember the anniversary of the wedding, the day we started dating and her birthday despite the fact that I'd like to forget all of those things and the horrible mistake of wasting a few years of my life with her.

Joe LaMantia
02-10-2012, 09:10 AM
I got married 2 days after my birthday, so I never forget the anniversary!

Joe
;)

FlyingRon
02-10-2012, 09:26 AM
We were married on July 4. Always have fireworks on our wedding anniversaries.
We did a brief honeymoon locally (Margy had a class on the Monday following). We did our real honeymoon at Oshkosh and the week or so afterward wandering around the various Frank Lloyd Wright and other architectural sites in Wisconsin/Chicago.

My wife shares both my interest in flying (as pointed out we're both taking hits off the 100LL crack pipe) and architecture.
Her favorite Xmas gift this year was the Lego Robie House kit.

Of course, those tendancies led us to construct the house we did (on an airport): http://www.ronnatalie.com/house.html

FlyingRon
02-10-2012, 09:51 AM
If your dining room table holds your completed horizontal stabilizer until it's ready for mating with the fuselage.
The whole canopy of the Navion was upside down in the Living room for a while while my wife replaced the headliner.

Done that.

If your family can sit around the dinner table and have entire conversations using nothing but acronyms. (ATC son, pilot son, soon-to-be pilot wife, and me).
My father is an aviation-industry lawyer (though not a pilot, he picks it up a lot from his clients). My son-in-law we are trying to get hooked. I took him for a ride in our plane the day after he married our daughter.

uncleleon
02-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Your one of your email addresses is the N number of your first airplane.
N6268L@ - - -

Your wife is hopelessly addicted to aviation if.... your wife makes you sit in the right seat every time you fly together.

You quiz your wife in preperation for her check ride, asking her "In our airplane, where is the fire extinguisher ?" and she replies: "Under YOUR (right) seat."

FlyingRon
02-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Your one of your email addresses is the N number of your first airplane.
N6268L@ - - -

No, but the license plate on her car is the airplane's N number (and they're National Air and Space Museum plates). She asked why I put the N number on her car. I asked her what her license plane number was before (no clue) and then I asked her what it is now. She also has a "I'd rather be flying my Navion" license plate frame around it.

escapepilot
02-11-2012, 06:33 AM
...when your wife/girlfriend asks you to talk about ANYTHING else but aviation, even politics.

steveinindy
02-11-2012, 07:01 PM
...when your wife/girlfriend asks you to talk about ANYTHING else but aviation, even politics.

It's funny because my fiancee encourages me to talk aviation around her dad to get him off of talking about politics while we are over visiting her parents. The man is a math geek so it's easy to distract him with discussions of drag coefficients, etc.

Ryan Hornback
02-11-2012, 11:10 PM
I am just in high school and I am already addicted. Whenever I look at the clock and it says a time such as 7:07 or 7:47 I immediately think of the Boeing 707 or 747. Or how throughout the school I am known as the kid who flies planes. We did a thing a while back about describing people with one word, my word was Aviator. Even my email includes the words addicted and aviation. I have caught the addiction young, but I am sure glad I did. :)

escapepilot
02-12-2012, 06:55 AM
There's a lot worse things to be addicted to, Ryan. Especially for a teenager.

Frank Giger
02-21-2012, 03:06 AM
...you go to an FAA Safety Seminar because you get to talk airplanes and flying with other pilots.

...you carry the plans to your airplane with you to the doctor's office to have something interesting to read (having read Sport Aviation four times already).

...and leave your copy of Sport Aviation in the magazine rack in the hopes of speading the virus.

bsdunek
02-21-2012, 08:27 AM
- - Your pilot's license is in front of your driver's license in your wallet.

And when someone wants to see your I.D., that's what you hand them. They look at it and say "what is this?" I do that all the time.

steveinindy
02-21-2012, 02:14 PM
...you go to an FAA Safety Seminar because you get to talk airplanes and flying with other pilots.

...you carry the plans to your airplane with you to the doctor's office to have something interesting to read (having read Sport Aviation four times already).

...and leave your copy of Sport Aviation in the magazine rack in the hopes of speading the virus.

....you are recuperating from having your gallbladder out and your fiancee cheers you up by buying all of the back issues of AOPA Pilot and all the aircraft design and operations books (that you don't already own) from the local Half Price Books.

steveinindy
02-29-2012, 04:45 PM
....the auto-correct feature on your phone automatically changes the word 'far' to 'FAR'.

prasmussen
03-01-2012, 07:55 AM
When you click on "Show All Bookmarks" and all but two have the word "aircraft" in them...........

steveinindy
03-02-2012, 02:31 AM
When you click on "Show All Bookmarks" and all but two have the word "aircraft" in them...........

I see you that and raise you:

....each of those folders contains at least 30-40 links. Some of them (like the cabin and structure one that is open there) have 300+ links. I think if I opened them all at once, the computer would catch fire.

rturiak
03-02-2012, 09:09 AM
..You might be addicted if 95% of your paycheck, as a part time cashier for a grocery store for minimum wage, goes straight to flight lessons.
..You might be addicted if you and your girlfriend stop going on dates to buy AVGas

^The typical problems I face as a teenager^

steveinindy
03-02-2012, 10:23 AM
..You might be addicted if you and your girlfriend stop going on dates to buy AVGas ^The typical problems I face as a teenager^

Either you have found a great one or you will be single soon. LOL

steveinindy
03-02-2012, 01:07 PM
....if you develop a crack in one of your thumbnails and your first thought is "Hmm....I probably should stop-drill that before it gets any larger".

Frank Giger
03-03-2012, 01:16 AM
...the first thing you do when purchasing a ball cap is remove the button on the top.

Charlie Becker
03-05-2012, 11:19 AM
...the first thing you do when purchasing a ball cap is remove the button on the top.
Otherwise you get a throbbing pain in your head from your headset!

Jim Clark
03-05-2012, 11:25 PM
You might be hopelessly addicted to aviation if....
(http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?1357-You-might-be-hopelessly-addicted-to-aviation-if..../page4)
Waco rhymes with Taco and is not a city in Texas, and yes it is my dogs' name.

You've owned 29 airplanes in 30 years, currently own 6 and still read Trade-A-Plane religiously.

You and your friends work your butts off to put together a major national fly in, swear you'll never do it again and then you do it again, and again, and again.....

Bell47pilot
03-10-2012, 10:02 AM
If all 52 days of annual vacation are spent flying old helicopters or WWII bombers. If every day off is another opportunity to work on the B24 or B29.

LCORBIN
03-11-2012, 08:49 PM
When you remember your youngest son's birthday because it was exactly twenty days after the first flight of your first homebuilt.
When you are driving down the Interstate in your car and find yourself pulling back on the wheel trying to make it rotate.

Frank Giger
03-13-2012, 12:20 AM
...you chuckle at the thought that ASN has a right hand pattern, considering that it's adjacent to the Talledega Speedway - and actually make a joke about it to non-pilot friends (who give you a blank stare).

steveinindy
03-13-2012, 12:31 AM
...you chuckle at the thought that ASN has a right hand pattern, considering that it's adjacent to the Talledega Speedway - and actually make a joke about it to non-pilot friends (who give you a blank stare).

Pardon me if I give you a blank stare but I'm not a racing fan. I know Talledega is a track but not sure what the joke is here....

Frank Giger
03-13-2012, 12:38 AM
NASCAR = left turns only.

steveinindy
03-13-2012, 12:40 AM
That's what I thought but I wasn't sure....

JohnReid
03-13-2012, 03:43 AM
I was born into aviation almost 72 years ago and I don't know of any other way of being,I guess.Seems normal too me !