PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Things-To-Do In Los Angeles Area?

TheGreatFlight
01-28-2012, 11:21 AM
I travel to Los Angeles a lot for work, but this time around I get to bring along my 14 year old (who just started his "official" flight lessons a few months ago). When I asked what things he wants to do/see since we'll have one entire day with no work-related stuff to attend, he responded with "aviation anything!". I've been searching around, but thought it'd be better to go straight to the source and ask here! :)

Any suggestions? Museums, anything.

Thanks in advance!

Zack Baughman
01-28-2012, 01:20 PM
I HIGHLY recommend Planes of Fame and Yanks Air Museum in Chino, EAA Chapter 1 and Flabob Airport in Riverside, and March Field Air Museum in the Riverside area. Planes of Fame and Yanks are close to each other and offer a lot to see. These are all just a short drive from LA proper.

Bill Greenwood
01-28-2012, 01:52 PM
You should phone Planes of Fame since the often do rides, I think and you might get him a flight in something fun.

Two other places to visit are the small airport at Santa Paula, many antiques and rare vintage planes there, some Hollywood people like Steve Mcqueen have kept their planes there. It's like airports used to be, you can wander around and look and there's no tower and no TSA to hassle you. There are one or two good flight schools there also. The runway is pretty short,mostly smaller planes, but I have seen a Mustang fly in once, and I was told Tom Cruise flew his in there, can't vouch for that. I prefer that to being insdoors at a museum , even a nice one.

Also there is a CAF unit at Camarillo , a little farther north up the coast than Santa Paula ,and they may have an open house or do rides on weekends.

TheGreatFlight
02-11-2012, 10:57 AM
I wanted to come back and thank you all for the suggestions! The one that was closest to us wasn't open on Sundays, but we're planning to go back for a family trip this summer and now I have a great list/starting point for our planning! It's really appreciated!

Boeing B-17G 42-231465
02-11-2012, 01:15 PM
If you're wanting to see some cool airports, Flabob in Riverside is an awesome place, and just happens to be EAA Chapter #1, its a blast to be there, and the restaurant is good too.