PDA

View Full Version : UFO Sightings

Floatsflyer
01-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Have you every had a UFO sighting while flying or reported one to authorities?

steveinindy
01-26-2012, 05:55 PM
LOL Yeah, there have been plenty of things that I can't identify in the skies....at least until I go pull out an airplane identification book or stop and think about the weather conditions. I love how the media has spun it that anything in the sky that some uneducated hillbilly can't identify is automatically aliens down here to molest said redneck, mutilate his cows and put geometric designs in the local fields. That's always good for a laugh.

Anymouse
01-26-2012, 06:31 PM
LOL Yeah, there have been plenty of things that I can't identify in the skies....at least until I go pull out an airplane identification book or stop and think about the weather conditions. I love how the media has spun it that anything in the sky that some uneducated hillbilly can't identify is automatically aliens down here to molest said redneck, mutilate his cows and put geometric designs in the local fields. That's always good for a laugh.

Don't forget the sucking out brains part. ;)

steveinindy
01-26-2012, 06:33 PM
don't forget the sucking out brains part. ;)

chupacabra!!!!!!!!!

MickYoumans
01-26-2012, 07:22 PM
FWIW I suppose this is one of those uneducated hillbillies

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=dvPR8T1o3Dc

(It's astronaut Gordon Cooper)

MEdwards
01-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Don't forget the sucking out brains part. ;)Hay, I believe that part. I know of several pilots who apparently had had their brains sucked out.

steveinindy
01-26-2012, 07:40 PM
One has to wonder how one comes to the point where assuming that:
1. Intelligent life has developed on another distant planet
2. They happened to develop to look like us in general body layout
3. They have developed technology that far exceeds our own
4. They use said technology in ways that baffle the imagination.
....is a more rational answer to people seeing things that that they can't explain than realizing that failure to identify something or because one individual can't figure out what they saw does not necessarily imply anything beyond that fact (they couldn't identify what they saw).

Whatever happened to Occam's razor?

Bill
01-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Hay, I believe that part. I know of several pilots who apparently had had their brains sucked out.

Only several???

David Darnell
01-26-2012, 10:41 PM
I recall a time we were flying a UH-1 over central Missouri one evening with night vision goggles. I was the first to spot it- looked like a aircraft some ways off with its landing light on. Told the Pilots about it- they had me keep an eye on it. 30 seconds later- it looked like it was coming straight at us- and now there was 3 of them! Pilots called STL center and asked if there was any traffic in the area- negative.
It kept coming right at us- at our altitude- to the point where the pilots took evasive action- "They" went over us at what looked like 500 ft or so. The pilots were pretty shaken by this- called STL center- "Umm, well whatever wasn't there just went over us, looked like a real fast mover..."

30 seconds later- STL came back with- "Guard helicopter, what you just saw was a Russian missile booster, impacted in west Illinois..........."
Sure enough, it was on the news the next night

Floatsflyer
01-27-2012, 09:03 AM
I recall a time we were flying a UH-1 over central Missouri one evening with night vision goggles. I was the first to spot it- looked like a aircraft some ways off with its landing light on. Told the Pilots about it- they had me keep an eye on it. 30 seconds later- it looked like it was coming straight at us- and now there was 3 of them! Pilots called STL center and asked if there was any traffic in the area- negative.
It kept coming right at us- at our altitude- to the point where the pilots took evasive action- "They" went over us at what looked like 500 ft or so. The pilots were pretty shaken by this- called STL center- "Umm, well whatever wasn't there just went over us, looked like a real fast mover..."

30 seconds later- STL came back with- "Guard helicopter, what you just saw was a Russian missile booster, impacted in west Illinois..........."
Sure enough, it was on the news the next night

Thanks David, great story. The replies prior to yours suggested there wasn't much intelligent life out there. Let's get more 'in the moment' flight experiences like yours on this thread.

Bill Greenwood
01-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Not anything that unusual in flight, but I have seen a genuine flying saucer. It was like one of the Avro Canada prototype ones from back in the 50's or 60's, a round disc perhaps 25 feet across, maybe 6 feet high and with a ducted fan pusher out the bottom.
For a number of years it sat behind the Anzio Landing restaurant at Falcon Field at Mesa, Az. I know it was there in the late 90's. It was supposed to be for sale. Man, I was tempted. How many people have a real flying saucer? I've got a friend that has an actual WWII German V1 buzz bomb, and they have even run the engine, but not flown. But the story was that the saucer has only been flown once and might be really hard to control or master. And I know that if I bought it I would probably be tempted to fly it, or try to. And I was up to my budget limit in airplanes and didn't have anywhere to store it. So that enemy of adventure, good comnon sense prevailed and I walked away, but never forgot it.
It was at the restaurant last Jan and the saucer was gone, only a photo on the wall.
Does anyone know where it might be now, or who owns it, or anymore about it's history?

Mike Switzer
01-27-2012, 10:20 AM
There was a "Flying Saucer" for sale on Ebay a couple years back, it supposedly flew at one time but it looked pretty rough (like it had been in a barn for 50 years or so)

Mike M
01-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Whatever happened to Occam's razor?

if he can't find it, walmart sells 12-packs of wilkinson disposables for less than three bucks. pretty good shave.

Mike Switzer
01-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Really. That was my favorite, for a while you couldn't find replacement blades anywhere.