PDA

View Full Version : Extra weight allowance for experimental as light sport

flywithpat
01-09-2012, 12:20 PM
I know the rules for a factory built LSA allow for an increase in gross weight to 1350lb from 1320 provided that 30lbs is used for a BRS or floats. My question is if a plane registered as experimental with a gross weight of 1350 be flown by a sport pilot assuming the extra 30 lbs is for a BRS? I have no plans to actually do this so I can't provide an example, just curious. My guess is no but you tell me.

Clark Savage Jr
01-12-2012, 06:52 PM
I have no idea what you are asking. Will you please restate the question?

clipwingcub
01-12-2012, 07:47 PM
I know the rules for a factory built LSA allow for an increase in gross weight to 1350lb from 1320 provided that 30lbs is used for a BRS or floats. My question is if a plane registered as experimental with a gross weight of 1350 be flown by a sport pilot assuming the extra 30 lbs is for a BRS? I have no plans to actually do this so I can't provide an example, just curious. My guess is no but you tell me.

Sorry Pat, but you are confusing part 103 rules which allow you to add safety equipment to the "Empty Weight" without a penalty. If you add a BRS to an S-LSA or E-LSA, it is still limited to 1320 "maximum takeoff weight" for aircraft not intended for water operation, or 1430 "maximum takeoff weight" for aircraft intended for water operation (e.g. with floats). (Ref. 14 CFR 1.1). So the answer is no, a pilot flying under sport rules cannot fly a non-water aircraft that is certified for 1350 gross weight.

Tony

flywithpat
01-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Sorry Pat, but you are confusing part 103 rules which allow you to add safety equipment to the "Empty Weight" without a penalty. If you add a BRS to an S-LSA or E-LSA, it is still limited to 1320 "maximum takeoff weight" for aircraft not intended for water operation, or 1430 "maximum takeoff weight" for aircraft intended for water operation (e.g. with floats). (Ref. 14 CFR 1.1). So the answer is no, a pilot flying under sport rules cannot fly a non-water aircraft that is certified for 1350 gross weight.

Tony

That answers it, thank you Tony!