PDA

View Full Version : N Numbers

JoeM
01-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Are there any N numbers that are considered inappropriate or unlucky? I’ve been looking to reserve a number and would hate to find out I picked something that would be frowned upon.

Floatsflyer
01-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Hi Joe,

I believe there are inappropriate numbers/letters similiar to car vanity plates. Contact your local FAA office for a list of what they consider inappropriate references.

steveinindy
01-05-2012, 02:14 PM
I'd stay away from any that have been in a fatal crash like airlines do with flight numbers. Also, I don't know about you but do you really want to be "that guy" with the 666 tail number?

JoeM
01-05-2012, 02:29 PM
I don't know about you but do you really want to be "that guy" with the 666 tail number?

Being "That Guy" is exactly what I want to avoid.

steveinindy
01-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I don't think there is a banned number, but I would certainly stay away from things like that. I know a guy who is a former minister who intentionally reserved a 666 tail number as a joke.

Hangar10
01-05-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm not aware of any inappropriate orunlucky numbers.

Obviously, a lot of people like to get numbers that represent something... in my case, perhaps NX72MC might seem appropriate... 1972 is my birth year and MC are my initials. Thats fine for those that want their number to represent something, but as a radio operator, I want something that flows well and gets me on and off the mic quickly.

For example, do I want to say something like, "experimental seven niner niner november foxtrot" every time I key the mic? No. I'd rather say something like, "experimental two one golf" (NX21G) or "experimental four two lima" (NX42L). I know that these aren't significant in any way, but I prefer to keep the airwaves as open as possible and minimize my workload however possible.

Janet Davidson
01-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Flight #666? Famous the (music) world over as "Ed Force One", Iron Maiden's tour transport a few years ago, flown by a crew captained by the lead singer, airline pilot, & all round aviation enthusiast, Bruce Dickinson ;)

Hangar10
01-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Flight #666? Famous the (music) world over as "Ed Force One", Iron Maiden's tour transport a few years ago, flown by a crew captained by the lead singer, airline pilot, & all round aviation enthusiast, Bruce Dickinson ;)

Yeah, that's awesome. A life long Maiden fan... why didn't I mention that?

Janet Davidson
01-05-2012, 04:18 PM
I could come up with a few answers to your question, Marc, but I think Hal would get all cross with me ;-)

Joe Delene
01-05-2012, 04:29 PM
I would pick one that's easy to pronounce & flows well.

Hal Bryan
01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
I could come up with a few answers to your question, Marc, but I think Hal would get all cross with me ;-)

I'm watching you ... ;)

Floatsflyer
01-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Yeah, that's awesome. A life long Maiden fan... why didn't I mention that?

Mark....a very ignorant and totally unnecessary comment. Who the f**k made you arbiter and critic of someone's music tastes??

Anymouse
01-05-2012, 07:32 PM
I'd stay away from any that have been in a fatal crash like airlines do with flight numbers. Also, I don't know about you but do you really want to be "that guy" with the 666 tail number?

If you're into aerobatics, you might want to avoid 999 numbers as well. It turns into the devil's plane when you fly inverted.

Mark....a very ignorant and totally unnecessary comment. Who the f**k made you arbiter and critic of someone's music tastes??

Not sure where you got the idea he was being critical of someone's music tastes. He was just indicating HIS tastes. Or is it YOU that's being critical???

Hangar10
01-05-2012, 08:36 PM

Yeah, mouse gets it. I was speaking of MY taste in music, and commenting on the fact that I totally missed the opportunity to brag on my all time favorite band. Seriously, I was jumping off the parents coffee table with a blue bass in 1985 while jamming to Live After Death... wishing I was Steve Harris.

Anyhow... calm the F down over there. :rollseyes:

Tom Downey
01-05-2012, 08:58 PM
I would pick one that's easy to pronounce & flows well.

Like OU812 :) GU11, :) or in CANADA C SANK

Floatsflyer
01-05-2012, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE=Hangar10;8799]Yeah, mouse gets it. I was speaking of MY taste in music, and commenting on the fact that I totally missed the opportunity to brag on my all time favorite band. Seriously, I was jumping off the parents coffee table with a blue bass in 1985 while jamming to Live After Death... wishing I was Steve Harris.

Your reply to Janet sounded as if it was dripping with sarcasm and facetiousness to both of us and perhaps others who chose not to respond. Thank you for your clarification, I apologize for misinterpreting.

CarlOrton
01-06-2012, 09:03 AM
You might want to avoid a number that ends in Tango Uniform.

Joe LaMantia
01-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Back in the 60's when I was in the Air Force reserve we used the last 3 numbers of the Military registration. We had about 16 C-119G's and one was 999, but we never did any inverted flight. The C-119 had all it could do to get off the ground. We had 668 which was the squadron hanger queen and was commonly referred to as "sick, sick, ate". I wonder if somewhere in the Air Force or Navy inventory somebody's proudly flying 666!

Joe
:P

JoeM
01-06-2012, 10:34 AM
We had 668 which was the squadron hanger queen and was commonly referred to as "sick, sick, ate". Joe
:P

We had a F-106 tail #164, It's nickname wasn't very nice. "One sick Wh***"

steveinindy
01-06-2012, 10:40 AM
You might want to avoid a number that ends in Tango Uniform.

It may be the cold or the cold medicine, but I'm not picking up the reference there.

We had a F-106 tail #164, It's nickname wasn't very nice. "One sick Wh***"

There's a guy with a homebuilt here that ends in "168" whose plane has the nickname of "one sick b****".

steveinindy
01-06-2012, 10:40 AM
one was 999, but we never did any inverted flight.

...and the paratroopers thanked you for it. :thumbsup::rollseyes:

rosiejerryrosie
01-06-2012, 10:55 AM
When I registered my ultralight I chose my initials - GJR and didn't realize intil I used it on the radio the first time -- One Two Golf Juliette Romeo brought a few chuckles during the time I owned that airplane.

CarlOrton
01-06-2012, 11:51 AM
It may be the cold or the cold medicine, but I'm not picking up the reference there.
Tango Uniform generally refers to "Toes Up" or "T*ts Up". When those body parts are facing up, it generally means you're flat on your back, as in dead or wounded.

So, saying your a/c is Tango Uniform is not a good thing.

Kyle Boatright
01-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Zero's and ones are allowed but "O's" and "I's" are not. Less confusion that way. In an N-number, numbers must go before the letters. In other words, NYY123 isn't acceptable, but N123YY would be. You can have all numbers or all letters.

Hangar10
01-06-2012, 04:38 PM
You can have all numbers or all letters.

Pretty sure that is not correct.

steveinindy
01-06-2012, 05:14 PM
I think Kyle means after the N with all numbers, but you can't have all letters (unfortunately).

Anymouse
01-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Can't have a zero immediately after the N either. Could have lot's of fun with that if you could. Somewhere on the FAA Website, there is a list of N-number rules.

For me, I chose N1910U. 19 was the kit number and IOU is what I expected to be doing for a long time after I finished construction.

Kyle Boatright
01-06-2012, 06:56 PM
I think Kyle means after the N with all numbers, but you can't have all letters (unfortunately).

Hmm, I stand corrected. I thought I'd seen some "all alpha" registrations, but the rules say those are not allowable. Here are the rules, per the FAA:

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/forming_nnumber/

kscessnadriver
01-06-2012, 08:36 PM
I thought I'd seen some "all alpha" registrations, but the rules say those are not allowable

Many foreign countries have all alpha registrations, but not here.

Floatsflyer
01-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Many foreign countries have all alpha registrations, but not here.

Since the beginning of civil aviation registration, Canada had CF-followed by 3 letters of your choosing. "C" for Canadian, "F" for normal aircraft(go figure). After 1975 it became C-F followed by three letters. Then the letter "G" was introduced as in C-G and three letters. Again the "G" means normal aircraft. So you can have C-FABC or C-GABC. If you had an original registration of CF-ABC and repaint the plane you need to re-register as C-FABC.

If you own an ultralight or advanced ultralight the registration is C-I plus 3 letters. No idea what the "I" means.

steveinindy
01-06-2012, 09:49 PM
For me, I chose N1910U. 19 was the kit number and IOU is what I expected to be doing for a long time after I finished construction.

I'll be using my anniversary as my tail number. I figure if I repeat it often, it will help me remember it. Seeing as how I prefer to fly IFR whenever possible, I'll be repeat it quite a lot.

CarlOrton
01-07-2012, 10:06 AM
I'll be using my anniversary as my tail number. *snip*
Bingo! Same thing here! Anniversary followed by the initials of my sons, produced as a result of the anniversary. I had reserved two numbers - one for my kit number, and the other "family friendly" one. Both of my boys are in aviation (one ATC, one FO), but everyone opted for the anniversary/initial version. I figured that would be good payback for my wife, who graciously allowed my horizontal stab to reside on our dining room table for 6 months....