PDA

View Full Version : Sporty's Complete Flight Training Course

Jt00
07-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Did anyone else have trouble completing this? I know I did. The video series is not enough for the practice tests that you have to score 80% or higher on - twice.
But I'm not going to just sit around and complain. If you know of a good way to train for the test (besides memorizing the FARs) please post it here.
I know of a couple of sets on www.quizlet.com, but sometimes the answers people put in their flashcard sets are wrong. There was one website that helped me a lot, I'm pretty sure it was www.funnelbrain.com (quick google search confirms that is probably the one I used).
So, anyone else have some sources for test studying? Granted, there is no better way to study than to memorize FARs and practice reading and finding things on sectional charts... Of course, I'm sure some actual flight training would help too ;).

rosiejerryrosie
07-24-2011, 07:30 AM
I used http://www.preparetotest.com. Has all the FAA questions and allows you to take them by subject area, as short pop quizes or as a practice FAA exam. Small fee is charged but I think they also let you try it out for free. Check 'em out.

Anymouse
07-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Here's one that might work if all you want are the questions and answers...

http://www.exams4pilots.org/faatest.cgi

drewgriff
08-04-2011, 08:35 AM
I'm starting sportys training is there anything important I should know going in to it????

rosiejerryrosie
08-05-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm starting sportys training is there anything important I should know going in to it????
Keep the pointy end forward and the greasy side down....:)

Bill Greenwood
08-05-2011, 12:18 PM
I really don't think learning to fly is very hard, IF, BIG IF, you really like flying and want to be a pilot, and can afford the cost, perhaps in the $6000 range.
Cost is a big issue, but there are people driving around in $35,000 pickup trucks that say they wish they could afford to fly.
There is some book learning, and a written test, but really is is pretty simple. The academics are no more that about a 7th grade level if that.
The FAA gives out EVERY QUESTION THEY CAN ASK VERBATIM, WORD FOR WORD. You just have to learn them. How could that be much easier? Granted there are, or may be a lot of questions, perhaps 600 to cover, of which they may ask 100 on the test. But you only have to make 70 or above, to pass. Of course, if you make only that means there is a third of the written knowledge that you don't know.
When I got my private license 30 years ago, I only had the two small paperback books by Jeppesen, one on the written test, one on the flight test. I really wanted to learn to fly, I had the time and the cost was not a problem.
I read the books, AND COMPLETED EVERY FAA PRACTICE QUESTION. I made 98 on the written test. I missed one question on airport lighting at night, that still bugs me.
Certainly virtually anyone can learn today, especially with the computer interactive programs and the cd rom video guides they have now. The difference is that I really wanted to be a pilot, it was not number 10 on the list of things I might like to do if it fell in my lap at no cost and with no effort.
Yes, the test back then was a little simpler, but I'd bet that with only the knowledge from then, my 98 would be an 88 today.
You do have to learn to fly the plane also, and how hard is that? Well there is one girl who has no arms and is a pilot. She was born without any arms and flies the plane with her feet. She is a fully certified pilot.
I think she had the want to in spades, didn't waste time with excuses.

escapepilot
08-14-2011, 09:12 AM
I prefer ASA's videos and study guide and The Complete Private Pilot book. A lot cheaper than Sporty's. The ASA study guide comes with the FAA Test Supplement which has all of the images used on the test. It's nice to use the supplement with the sample test websites.

Bill Greenwood
08-14-2011, 11:12 AM
I am not familiar with the ASA videos or Sporty's. Other than the Jepp books that I used for my private, I used the King video tapes and practice books for my advanced ratings . They seem pretty good.King my be more expensive than others, but if you can learn faster or easier or better with the best course, it may well be worth an extra $100.
If a better course

Bill Greenwood
08-14-2011, 11:20 AM
If a better course can save you even one extra flight in the rental plane from the FBO and CFI fee, it may be worth it.
Most of real money saving will come, not in a few $$$ on the books or cd roms, but by being prepared in advance for each flight lesson. Pre study, rehearse it in your mind, de brief at the end; take some extra time to sit at the airport and watch others land, etc. and MOST of all fly often, at least twice a week and you can learn in perhaps 40 or 45 hours. Some people do lessons once a month and wonder why it takes them 60 hours for a private.
good luck.

Frank Giger
08-22-2011, 12:47 AM
I used the Gleim study materials and had no problems with the written test.

It also showed I'm a dinosaur, as I actually preferred to use the book rather than the interactive computer program.

The funny thing is that the test study materials (which, as pointed out are the possible test questions) are more about how the questions are asked - the unique syntax of the FAA - than a real teaching tool. It is useful in finding out what one doesn't know, but at its heart is a test taking skill improvement tool.

Most of real money saving will come, not in a few $$$ on the books or cd roms, but by being prepared in advance for each flight lesson. Pre study, rehearse it in your mind, de brief at the end; take some extra time to sit at the airport and watch others land, etc. and MOST of all fly often, at least twice a week and you can learn in perhaps 40 or 45 hours.

QFT

Unless you're a Sport Pilot like me, in which case one can get their license in 20 hours (or, for me, 26). :)

Bill Greenwood
08-22-2011, 09:58 AM
QFT, I'd like to hear more about your sport pilot learning. What was your flying background if any, who and where was your CFI. what method of study, what plane you used, any problem parts?
And what are you aviation plans now?
Congrats on a good start.

Frank Giger
08-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Well for me my aviation background was essentially zero. I had played combat flight sims for years and years and a few of my virtual squadmates who are actual pilots said I'd probably do well behind a real stick.

I was rightfully skeptical. Sitting behind a desk with a plastic HOTAS on top and pedals underneath (and a refly option if things went bad) is fun but it's not flying a real airplane. Turns out quite a bit translated (theory of flight, instruments, coordinating turns, adverse yaw, etc.), and a lot didn't (no sim accurately gives one the tactile feelings of gusts and thermals).

Jim McCleod at Pell City is my instructor, and a darned good one. He's primarily a PPL instructor with the full package of additional endorsements as a CFI (instrument, multiengine, etc., etc.) that above all loves to fly and pass that passion on in a practical, nuts-and-bolts fashion. He is my second instructor - I had to let the first one go after two lessons due to a personality/style mismatch; I need an teacher that puts things into a larger context and isn't subtle.

I trained in a Flight Design CTLS. It is good and bad as a trainer. Good in that it is light in the controls, has good visibility, great climb and fast (right at the limits of LSA). Bad in that the gear is composite and doesn't like lateral forces - it's been replaced twice due to delamination from goofy landings and rightfully has a reputation as being difficult to land, particularly in crosswinds. Add in that I trained twice a week in the middle of the day when the hot Alabama summers make for interesting weather conditions.

Sport Pilot training pretty much matches Private instruction right up to where one starts working the hood (no instrument, no night). Basic flight (stalls, slow flight, etc.), ground reference maneuvers, landings ("regular," short and soft field, crosswind), and short cross countries - though I flew PPL distances because the CTLS is so fast that the chip shot minimums didn't make sense. Since St. Clair County is uncontrolled airspace, we didn't have to worry about tower ops. So it's much easier to train - we could get ten landings in an hour no problem.

Solo'd about 10 hours in (dang season change put winds 90 degrees to runway and I needed a couple extra hours to get their measure), passed the written, and just worked to get the appropriate skills for my check ride. I probably could have shot for the ride a couple hours early, but I needed work on short field landings and put in the extra solo time to get to where I was satisfied. 26 hours total.

One of the issues beyond finding an LSA to train in is finding a Sport Pilot evaluator. Here in Alabama there are only two or three - and only one that has a flexible enough schedule and is willing to fly up to give the check ride.

Right now I'm getting tailwheel instruction in a Champ, as I'm building a Nieuport 11 replica which is conventional geared and has a lot of the flying characteristics of the Champ. Btw, I friggin' love the Champ - wish Jim had one when I started; I'd of done primary training in it!

We also did some spin training in the Champ (awesome!), which I think should be put back into the basic syllabus.

Next up after tailwheel is controlled airspace endorsement.

iflyaaord
08-24-2011, 02:38 AM
If you have an Android or Iphone you can buy Sporty's Study Buddy for 9.95. It's a great resource for when you find yourself somewhere with time to kill. Pull it out and start going over tons of written test questions, along with each of thier answers and explanations.

http://sportys.com/PilotShop/category/1035

gliderflyer
08-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Is one of these courses such as Sporty's all you need to take your written? I was thinking you still need some time in a classroom and/or an instructor to check off that your ready to take the test.

Randy

Frank Giger
08-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Is one of these courses such as Sporty's all you need to take your written? I was thinking you still need some time in a classroom and/or an instructor to check off that your ready to take the test.

Randy

Absolutely it is all that is needed.

One still needs to have the instructor sign off that one is ready to take it. Since I had brought him stuff I had questions on previously, he knew I had been studying and just signed me off for it without a quiz.

Everyone and every instructor is different, though.

Bill Greenwood
08-30-2011, 04:45 PM
If you do the King courses they will send you the sign off to take the written, you don't need a separate instructor for the written. I don't know about Sporty's or others.

Eric Page
09-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Most of real money saving will come, not in a few $$$ on the books or cd roms, but by being prepared in advance for each flight lesson. Pre study, rehearse it in your mind, de brief at the end; take some extra time to sit at the airport and watch others land, etc. and MOST of all fly often, at least twice a week and you can learn in perhaps 40 or 45 hours. Some people do lessons once a month and wonder why it takes them 60 hours for a private.
good luck.

That, sir, is excellent advice. I was going to school full time, working part time, and trying to learn flying. At one point I was driving 125 mi RT to save a few bucks on a 152 at a military flying club. The result was infrequent flights with gaps of a month or more between lessons. It took me way too long to finish my training and probably cost a small fortune. I don't recommend it.