PDA

View Full Version : Food allergies and attending Air Venture

lkorona
12-30-2011, 02:45 PM
I have a dilemma on my hands about dealing with food allergies while attending Air Venture. I would love to bring my 7-year old daughter with me to Oshkosh, but I’m concerned about getting her appropriate food to eat. She is allergic to dairy (anything made with milk, cheese or eggs), nuts, and potatoes. This restriction cuts out just about all the food that is available on site. For example many items that you would assume not to contain dairy like a hamburger bun, may actually have dairy ingredients. My wife and I spent a lot of time reading the ingredients list when we food shop. We have done a number of day trips in the plane recently, and my daughter really wants to go with me to the 2012 Air Venture. We pack a lot of our own food for these day trips, and we will get her a plain burger if we happen to stop in an airport restaurant. This is fine for a day, but what to do for 4-5 days?

I was wondering how other people with food allergies deal with attending Air Venture. I will be flying into the field, and staying at the U of W dorms downtown. I have attended Air Venture 3 times in the past, and I’m well aware of the food choices to be had both on the field and around the immediate area.

steveinindy
12-30-2011, 05:46 PM
For example many items that you would assume not to contain dairy like a hamburger bun, may actually have dairy ingredients.

Just out of curiosity and at the risk of sounding snide, how does one not suspect that a standard baked good would not contain milk or eggs?

We pack a lot of our own food for these day trips, and we will get her a plain burger if we happen to stop in an airport restaurant. This is fine for a day, but what to do for 4-5 days?

My suggestion would be to bring a cooler with as much safe food as possible. We do this already (mostly due to cost, not food allergies) but normally come up by car rather than aircraft so weight isn't as much of an issue as it might be for you.

The other option is to invest in a disposable cooler once you get to Oshkosh and have someone take you to Walmart or one of the groceries stores to stock up. If you need a ride and we're available, we would be happy to assist you by providing a ride to the store. My theory is I always try to help folks who are in need because folks have helped me in the past (namely this year at Oshkosh) when I was the one in need.

Mike Switzer
12-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Just out of curiosity and at the risk of sounding snide, how does one not suspect that a standard baked good would not contain milk or eggs?

This is why people with food allergies need to have a pretty good understanding of how food is prepared. Wheat gluten does a number on my digestive tract, and many items that I make at home without any wheat do contain wheat as they are supplied to the restaurants by their suppliers (such as Sysco) as it is cheaper than the alternatives. I just have to be careful to not order anything that may be prepared with wheat (which makes eating on the road difficult as 99% of fast food offerings contain wheat, same thing for most foods available at fairs & events like Oshkosh)

steveinindy
12-30-2011, 06:56 PM
This is why people with food allergies need to have a pretty good understanding of how food is prepared.

That was my thinking so it kind of surprised me that someone in that situation might not realize such things.

My fiancee is also sensitive to gluten although she's thankfully gotten over it for the most part. Dairy is not my friend but at the same time I love cheese so much that I'm willing to put up with the occasional side effect. Speaking of that....time to raid the fridge.

Bill Greenwood
12-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Iko, can't you just by a burger or other food at EAA and her not eat the bun?

As for gluten sensitive people, one thing I wonder about is that I never even remember hearing anything about this until the last few years. Certainly growing up as a kid,I never heard of anyone who got sick from eating a normal hamburger or even hot dog with bun.
Why has this condition or alergy developed? Is bread different now or is this just a fad?

Nowadays, you go into some restaurants that cater to a higher price customer and there is much fuss about gluten free this and that.
I think some people might be alergic to gluten in the same way that they are alergic to having any kitchen counter that is not granite.

lkorona
12-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Just out of curiosity and at the risk of sounding snide, how does one not suspect that a standard baked good would not contain milk or eg. gs?

Food manufactures are required to list all ingredients. A careful inspection of the label and list of ingredients is the only sure way. My wife is very good (much better than me) at taking the time to read everything on the label to be sure that it does not have any dairy, nuts or potatoes.

My suggestion would be to bring a cooler with as much safe food as possible. We do this already (mostly due to cost, not food allergies) but normally come up by car rather than aircraft so weight isn't as much of an issue as it might be for you.

Yes, this was my first thougth, not sure how mcuh I could bring in my C172 with her and two others. It would be tight.

Thanks for the kind offer for driving us to a food stores, I just might take you up on that!

lkorona
12-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Iko, can't you just by a burger or other food at EAA and her not eat the bun?

Why has this condition or alergy developed? Is bread different now or is this just a fad?

Yes, we have gone with just getting a plain burger with nothing else, and that's worked out OK.

My daughter, who just turned 7. has had problems with dairy since she was just a few weeks old. It's mainly a digestive problem, upset stomach, diarrhea, and gas. We had tests run and that's when we found out that she also has issues with nuts and potatoes. I look back on my childhood, and my mom told me that I had digestive issues with milk also that I grew out of over the years. I think that in today's world more kids are being tested, so more cases of alergies are being reported, nothing to do with the food itself.

Mike Switzer
12-30-2011, 11:29 PM
As for gluten sensitive people, one thing I wonder about is that I never even remember hearing anything about this until the last few years. Certainly growing up as a kid,I never heard of anyone who got sick from eating a normal hamburger or even hot dog with bun.

I think it was just something that wasn't diagnosed until recently. As for me, Gluten doesn't make me sick, no major allergic reaction like some people have to peanuts or shellfish, but I have had a problem with acid reflux for years, no doc found a solution other than meds, and I also had lots of sinus problems. A little over a year ago I had some major intestinal distress that I don't really want to describe here, but long story short after some research I decided to stop eating wheat products. Abstaining from wheat my plumbing is regular, the sinuses are better and no more acid reflux. Being of partial Sicilian descent this pains me as I like pasta & pizza, but there are some decent gluten free pastas out there, and while we do eat pizza once a week, I just stay close to a bathroom the next day & take allegra to cover the sinus issues.

Jim Hann
12-31-2011, 03:32 AM
The other option is to invest in a disposable cooler once you get to Oshkosh and have someone take you to Walmart or one of the groceries stores to stock up. If you need a ride and we're available, we would be happy to assist you by providing a ride to the store. My theory is I always try to help folks who are in need because folks have helped me in the past (namely this year at Oshkosh) when I was the one in need.
Exactly what I was thinking. If you are in the North 40 camping, you can either ride the bus or walk over to Target and Pick n Save. My friends with four kids do this (a lot) now that their #1 son is a teenager and is hungrier than an IO-540 at full throttle!

My other advice is to bring documentation of her medical issues, that way if you are challenged by somebody, you can prove the necessity. Might not be a bad idea to talk to folks at HQ (hint for Hal or another MOD to chime in) before the show and see if they might have any other suggestions. The show obviously wants to sell food, etc. but not at the expense of her safety.

Side note, here are my kids (7, 4, and 2) at #OSH11

Wheat gluten does a number on my digestive tract, and many items that I make at home without any wheat do contain wheat as they are supplied to the restaurants by their suppliers (such as Sysco) as it is cheaper than the alternatives.

I work with a woman with ciliac (sp?) and she is worried about down the road as she is hoping to be a commercial pilot (her Dad was one of my Chief Pilot's in a previous life). She is worried about long trips and finding food, ever looked around an airport for "Gluten Free" labels?

Jim

malexander
12-31-2011, 06:52 AM
We're at OSH every year with the 5th wheel. We've always got at least one vehicle to go to town in. Heck, we've even let folks use it to go on their own somewhere if we can't or don't want to go. We stay in Sleepy Hollow campground.

Marshall Alexander

Mike Switzer
12-31-2011, 08:32 AM
I work with a woman with ciliac (sp?) and she is worried about down the road as she is hoping to be a commercial pilot (her Dad was one of my Chief Pilot's in a previous life). She is worried about long trips and finding food, ever looked around an airport for "Gluten Free" labels?

Fortunately for me it appears I just have an allergy & not full blown Celiac disease (they are actually 2 different things) but gluten free is pretty hard to find in vending machines & such. While not labeled gluten free, Fritos should not have any wheat in them, most potato chips are OK (NOT Pringles, wheat is on the label).

New labeling rules went in effect in the last couple years & anything packaged in the US should say in big letters at the end of the ingredients list "May Contain xxxxx" where xxxxx is any ingredient that is a known allergen (soy, wheat, eggs, milk, peanuts, etc) Items packaged outside the US may not meet these labeling rules.

The restaurant here at the Decatur airport serves a lot of Italian dishes, they now have a gluten free menu. Also, many restaurants have low carb offerings on the menu, they are usually gluten free, and many of the major national chains have special menus for those with allergies, listing any allergen that may be in a particular dish.

Bill Greenwood
12-31-2011, 12:07 PM
I have read that there is some success in treating food allergies by exposure of very small amounts of the food to the child, don't know many details, but I'd check with a good doctor.
I have a friend an EAA guy and airline pilot who has a peanut allergy, he is careful and lives with it ok.

Mike Switzer
12-31-2011, 01:41 PM
One of the kids in my niece's class (5th grade) has a peanut allergy, he came in contact with something, they don't know exactly how, but he would have died if they hadn't given the teacher an epipen. Now nobody is allowed to bring anything with peanuts for lunch. (And PBJ day in the cafeteria used to be one of the most popular)

For those with peanut allergies, be aware anything fried may have been fried in peanut oil, restaurants like it as it has a high smoke point.

lkorona
12-31-2011, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Hann;8469Side note, here are my kids (7, 4, and 2) at #OSH11[/QUOTE]

This is my daughter (7 in Oct). She has logged almost 30 hrs with me just this past year!

Larry1357

lkorona
12-31-2011, 04:42 PM

Steve:

Thanks for your and others offers of help. EAA folks are the best!

Yup, I think that I will UPS out a box of packaged food (UofW dorms allow boxes to be shipped to guests). This will give me plently of packaged food for her to eat, and will have to pick and chose any fresh or prepared food very carefully. This will help me out with space/weight in the plane.

I really hope that in the years to come that the vended food on site will start to give better options for people who have resticted diets. Even I, with no special needs, get real tired of the offerings after a day or two eating on site.

Larry

steveinindy
12-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the kind offer for driving us to a food stores, I just might take you up on that!

Not a problem. We all have to look out for our fellow pilots and their families.

Interstater
01-01-2012, 10:27 AM
The UW dorm dining facilities have to deal with a fair number of students these days who have food allergies, so if you are staying there they should be able to help. By all means though send them an e-mail or call them ahead of time so that they are aware of your needs before you arrive. I know the UW dining staff here in La Crosse takes great pride in what they can do for special cases.

This doesn't help you on the show site though.

dogtags
01-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Perhaps you could contact Zaug's Vending, the catering company that provides most of the food for AirVenture.

http://www.zaugs.com/
(920) 734-9881

~Robert

Jim Hann
01-03-2012, 02:41 AM
This is my daughter (7 in Oct). She has logged almost 30 hrs with me just this past year!

My daughter has the same headset!

Steve:

Thanks for your and others offers of help. EAA folks are the best!

Larry

And if Steve isn't around, I'm in Scholler with a vehicle also. I'm sure it can be done!

Jim

lkorona
01-03-2012, 08:47 PM
The UW dorm dining facilities have to deal with a fair number of students these days who have food allergies, so if you are staying there they should be able to help. By all means though send them an e-mail or call them ahead of time so that they are aware of your needs before you arrive. I know the UW dining staff here in La Crosse takes great pride in what they can do for special cases.

This doesn't help you on the show site though.

Joe-That an excellent idea, I've have to contact them and ask. I'll post whatever I find out.
Larry

lkorona
01-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Perhaps you could contact Zaug's Vending, the catering company that provides most of the food for AirVenture.
~Robert

Robert - Yup will do, great thought. I'll post their reply.

Larry

lkorona
01-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Jim:

Thanks for the offer, thanks for can-do attitude! I'm really looking forward to attending.

Larry

Barry
01-06-2012, 02:34 AM
"I work with a woman with ciliac (sp?) and she is worried about down the road as she is hoping to be a commercial pilot (her Dad was one of my Chief Pilot's in a previous life). She is worried about long trips and finding food, ever looked around an airport for "Gluten Free" labels?"

I am a corporate pilot flying NA, SA, Europe, Russia and the Mideast since the early nineties. As far back as 1977 at Osh when no one paid any attention to vegetarians or those with food allergies I have managed to find decent food and remain disgustingly healthy. Tell your friend that diet issues are no excuse for not pursuing her dreams.

To the originator of this thread, obviously you and your wife are doing the best you can for your daughter. Kids can be difficult to feed even without allergies. You have not mentioned the possibility of a raw food diet for her. And you, which will make it easier for her. It is, after all, the way we evolved. Humans did not eat cooked food for close to two million years. The processed food we typically eat is foreign to the human animal and accounts for most of the health issues we commonly see now. It is easy to get around it.

Best of luck, Barry

Jim Hann
01-09-2012, 09:34 AM
I am a corporate pilot flying NA, SA, Europe, Russia and the Mideast since the early nineties. As far back as 1977 at Osh when no one paid any attention to vegetarians or those with food allergies I have managed to find decent food and remain disgustingly healthy. Tell your friend that diet issues are no excuse for not pursuing her dreams.

Best of luck, Barry

Barry, I'm a furloughed long haul guy (747-400 based @ ANC, hopefully back this year) so I know what you mean. I also did four years of check hauling and eight years of regional flying. It wasn't the layovers we were talking about, it's the on duty time when you are stuck with what is available in the terminal or brought with. The airline terminal isn't exactly a health food store, especially some of the smaller places you go in the regionals. She isn't using celiac as an excuse at all and isn't looking for "accommodation" under ADA or something like that. We were discussing how she could conquer the eating issue, and it definitely is conquerable! More prepackaged food is available every week and she knows what to watch out for, her QOL is so much better since she figured out why she was having the problems she had growing up.

Larry, when you have your plans finalized, send me a PM for my contact info. Don't know if my wife and kids will be there all week, they usually do a couple days and then head to her relatives in North Dakota. I've got the days off from my current job, but if I get recalled to flying I won't know what days I'll be in OSH until a month or so before.

Jim

Barry
01-09-2012, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Hann;8989]Barry, I'm a furloughed long haul guy (747-400 based @ ANC, hopefully back this year) so I know what you mean. I also did four years of check hauling and eight years of regional flying. It wasn't the layovers we were talking about, it's the on duty time when you are stuck with what is available in the terminal or brought with. The airline terminal isn't exactly a health food store, especially some of the smaller places you go in the regionals. She isn't using celiac as an excuse at all and isn't looking for "accommodation" under ADA or something like that. We were discussing how she could conquer the eating issue, and it definitely is conquerable! More prepackaged food is available every week and she knows what to watch out for, her QOL is so much better since she figured out why she was having the problems she had growing up. (Jim quote)

Hi Jim, not meaning to hijack the thread, but my fallback has always been carrots and almonds.

Cheers, Barry

Jim Hann
01-10-2012, 05:11 AM
my fallback has always been carrots and almonds.

Cheers, Barry
:thumbsup:

Rick Rademacher
07-12-2017, 02:01 PM
Does anyone have any updates to the suggestions made five years ago as I am bringing a grandson who has a serious peanut allergy this year to Oshkosh?

CHICAGORANDY
07-12-2017, 03:21 PM
Here is the list of the 15 different food venues plus the grocery store on site:

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/plan-your-eaa-airventure-trip/food-and-concessions

You can click on each food vendor and read their menu and hopefully find some meal options for the grandson. If it's workable into your visit, a trip off site to a Walmart and a major grocery store should yield some further choices?

Best of luck.

Wrongway Feldman
07-12-2017, 03:26 PM
Does anyone have any updates to the suggestions made five years ago as I am bringing a grandson who has a serious peanut allergy this year to Oshkosh? The only info that I know of is in the Official Visitor & Camper's Guide 2017 (http://eaavisitorcamp2017.epubxp.com/i/843360-2017) Click on "download the PDF" for offline reading.

On pdf page 24 or actual page 22, Under DINING INFORMATION there is chart the shows the food venues that offer GLUTEN FREE (GF) and VEGETARIAN food.
I believe that is about as close as you're going to get, as to whats in the food.

lkorona
07-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Does anyone have any updates to the suggestions made five years ago as I am bringing a grandson who has a serious peanut allergy this year to Oshkosh?

Hi I'm the original poster from 2012. My daughter has allergies to nuts, dairy, and milk-based products.

I'm happy to report that my daughter has attended Oshkosh every year but for 2015, when the plane was getting a new motor.

In all of our visits, we have been able to manage her food allergies just fine. We say in the dorm rooms, and eat our dinner on campus. The dinning hall is very accommodating when it comes to food allergies, so no problem for dinner. We bring some food with us and have breakfast in the dorm room, which has a small cube refrigerator and microwave. For lunch on the field we tend to eat at Subway, the have items that meet our needs.

Rick Rademacher
07-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Thanks for all of the good advice and suggestions as it helps to lower my fears. The cafeteria on campus and Subway are on the list of safer eating places.

lkorona
07-13-2017, 12:54 PM
Thanks for all of the good advice and suggestions as it helps to lower my fears. The cafeteria on campus and Subway are on the list of safer eating places.
Rick

one other place on the field is Red's Pizza & Catering, they have roasted corn and veggie burger that my daughter loves.