PDA

View Full Version : Welder's warning on Phosgene gas (from Brake Cleaner)

Chad Jensen
12-21-2011, 11:24 AM
I think we've covered this elsewhere, but I wanted to be sure this is posted here for anyone that practices welding or is building a metal tube airplane.

VERY IMPORTANT READ.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Dave Prizio
12-21-2011, 01:21 PM
That was a chilling article. I keep MSDS in my hangar for many of the products I commonly use, but I must admit that even I never heard of that particular toxic combination.

I think people need to know what they are using and what the dangers are. Furthermore they need to know what to do if something bad happens. The best thing the MSDS can do is tell you how to properly avoid getting into trouble with that product. But if you have some sort of chemical exposure, the MSDS can tell the paramedics what to do to get you treated properly and promptly.

This safety stuff is not just for when you are at work.

Dave Prizio

Bill
12-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Phosgene was one of the first gases used in chemical warfare during World War I. Really nasty stuff as those who survived gas attacks could attest.

Chris In Marshfield
12-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Wow! Thanks for that bit of info, Chad. Very enlightening, indeed.

~Chris

Ried
03-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Yes, it has been covered before. But like all good safety posts, this does need to be repeated periodically. Thanks!

brian_thomas
08-07-2014, 02:43 PM
The link is broken - try http://www.brewracingframes.com/safety-alert-brake-cleaner--phosgene-gas.html.

skyking135
01-09-2015, 09:40 AM
Interestingly enough, I mentioned this issue to a welder friend of mine and he had never heard of using brake fluid as a parts cleaner. Perhaps this is an old technique and not as pertinent today.

Mike Switzer
01-09-2015, 10:44 AM
Not brake fluid - it was "Brake Cleaner" it comes in a aerosol can, available at most auto parts & farm stores.

FlyingRon
01-09-2015, 12:11 PM
Tetra is bad stuff even at room temperature. It's a known carcinogen.

eiclan
01-10-2015, 04:49 AM
Just so you guys know,the fumes from brake cleaner even without heating it up is very bad for your kidneys. I was a trailer mech in a trucking yard and used it a lot in the pit,fumes everywhere.It effected my kidneys and now I am very sensitive to those hydrocarbon fumes. If you must use it then use some sort of gas mask not a dust type;unless you do what the troops did in the trenches in ww1 and urinate on your dust mask. True they did.
so all I can say is keep away from the stuff completely. Cheers Ross in Australia

Mike Switzer
01-11-2015, 05:58 PM
I don't use it. If The rotors, calipers, whatever need cleaned that bad they come off & go in the blast cabinet or parts washer.

Low Pass
08-07-2015, 07:15 AM
Just so you guys know,the fumes from brake cleaner even without heating it up is very bad for your kidneys. I was a trailer mech in a trucking yard and used it a lot in the pit,fumes everywhere.It effected my kidneys and now I am very sensitive to those hydrocarbon fumes. If you must use it then use some sort of gas mask not a dust type;unless you do what the troops did in the trenches in ww1 and urinate on your dust mask. True they did.
so all I can say is keep away from the stuff completely. Cheers Ross in AustraliaEven if you use a proper absorption respirator, you need to protect your skin. These chlorinated solvents will pass into your body readily though your skin. Liver damage, nerve damage, etc. Not good.

cliffo
02-21-2016, 06:19 PM
As a retired union welder my fellow workers would go into process plants and do shut downs for maintenance,updates,additions etc. They were run on a tight schedule as to loose the least amount of production time as possible.another welder and myself were putting in some sample valves and instrumentation fixtures,I asked the company safety guy what was in the line and it was one of those 16 letter chemicals,so I asked if the line had been flushed and vented,he said he didn't know,so I'm already on this guy's shit list for holding up the show,but I insisted on the flush and venting. Another welder from my local was on this same line only in a different part of the facility, that night he was in the motel room next to mine and I heard this horrendous coughing for quite awhile and then a loud thump. I went to investigate,had to get the desk attendant, the guy was red as a beet and breathing really raspy, he was DOA. We had both been TIG welding this stainless line but his segment had not been vented or flushed properly. This guy had the same training as I but due to the pressure of being on schedule he tried to dodge a bullet by just having a fan blowing, not proper procedure. When welding on anything make sure it is clean of any contaminants,paints,coatings and the like,explosions,health hazards are all immediate dangers when adding that kind of heat.

MPerkins
01-16-2023, 12:51 PM
Article: "Tetrachloroethylene, a deadly danger in brake cleaner": https://www.envirofluid.com/articles/tetrachloroethylene-a-deadly-danger-in-brake-cleaner/

WLIU
01-20-2023, 08:49 AM
Are non-clorinated brake cleaners that are advertised as VOC compliant and "recommended Restrictions" None Known" better?

Best of luck,

Wes