PDA

View Full Version : ATP SE add-on / Chicago

TangoFox33
01-17-2023, 10:02 AM
Hi All,
I would like to add ASEL privileges to my FAA ATP (already AMEL, no FAA single engine privileges at all, except foreign-based PPL).
Around 2300 hrs of single engine experience with EASA license.
Any flight school recommendation around Chicago ?

Thanks !

Eric Page
01-17-2023, 11:16 AM
I understand the appeal of having a rare certificate, but I'm curious why you want an ATP ASEL. As far as I know, there are zero operations anywhere using single engine aircraft that require it.

TangoFox33
01-17-2023, 01:23 PM
It's just that I don't have any Commercial ASEL privileges either ; and as far as I understand, the ATP ASEL checkride is a lot more easier (mainly an IFR check) than the Commercial one (energy management, etc.). Maybe I'm wrong ?

Eric Page
01-17-2023, 02:43 PM
Could be; I went the traditional route and have Comm-SEL and ATP-MEL. The FAA practical test standards (https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards##Pilots) should have the answer.

WLIU
01-17-2023, 05:07 PM
"Maybe I'm wrong ?"

Yes, the US Comm test is easy if you have any aptitude. A written exam on stuff you should already know, and a flight test that has you demonstrate that you can fly with precision. No reason not to do it.

Best of luck,

Wes

Ray Stinchcomb
01-19-2023, 05:23 PM
"Maybe I'm wrong ?"

Yes, the US Comm test is easy if you have any aptitude. A written exam on stuff you should already know, and a flight test that has you demonstrate that you can fly with precision. No reason not to do it.

Best of luck,

Wes

There’s no knowledge test to add SEL to the ATP MEL.
And for someone who is current and proficient on instrument flying, it’s easier than getting proficient in the commercial SEL test tasks.