PDA

View Full Version : Strip and paint for C150 gear legs

N511ST
08-24-2022, 01:58 PM
Found an old thread and have maintenance manual. Looking for company in central Florida that can soda, crushed glass, bead or new age blast my gear legs. But first I have to remove the step clips that are epoxied on! How the heck to I get them off so I can inspect under them?????? I'm afraid I'll damage the gear leg trying to remove them. Hints anyone??
Thanks.

Eric Page
08-24-2022, 05:36 PM
Do you know what adhesive product was used to attach them? There are many that can be released with heat, but others won't budge.

For example, Kitfox used to specify a 3M Scotch-Weld product. My project had a damaged elevator push-pull tube that I wanted to replace. The end fittings had been glued in with Scotch-Weld and they wouldn't shift even with direct and sustained application of a propane torch. I buggered them so badly in the attempt that I had to purchase new. The Loctite EA9460 Hysol that Kitfox currently uses is much more forgiving (or so I've been told).

You might try a heat gun, but I'd be cautious with a torch on something like a gear leg. That much heat might alter it's mechanical properties.

N511ST
08-29-2022, 06:15 AM
The original adhesive used was 'Conley Weld' which was standard but was dropped by Textron some years ago. I don't know what they use now but it isn't that. I'm afraid I'll damage the legs trying to knock the bracket off, or use a method that will change the underlying characteristics and strength. Conley was bought some time ago and I can't find much info at all about what might overcome the adhesive. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.