01-30-2022, 07:45 PM
Getting ready:

1. Vacation dates scheduled and approved with boss—Check
2. Camp site reserved—Check
3. RV reserved—Check

now let the waiting begin…..

Samuel
01-31-2022, 09:13 PM
We can't wait! It is going to be a good year!

FlyingRon
02-01-2022, 08:25 AM
See ya there.

Airmutt
02-01-2022, 08:47 AM
Hey it’s a new year and I’m getting excited to make AV2022. Waiting to see if my planned time in Wisconsin and the work weekend dates match up. However, COVID and it’s aftermath is already impacting EAA. If you noticed, EAA cancelled its annual Hops and Props event for this year citing lack of supporting craft breweries and availability of support staff. I find it ironic that a state that is known for cheese, beer, and brats that EAA can’t find enough brewers. Lack of service staff is a real problem everywhere. I don’t know the specifics but heard that even AV 2021 volunteer numbers were down despite the huge turnout. Don’t have any insight how impacted EAA was in hiring it’s work force for AV but wonder if the current manpower issues which seem to mostly impact vendors could carry over into this summer.

steve
02-01-2022, 07:53 PM
Getting ready:

1. Vacation dates scheduled and approved with boss— N/A - retired
2. Camp site reserved— N/A - HBC for me
3. RV reserved— my 9A is standing by

See ya'll there.

Auburntsts
02-01-2022, 08:48 PM
Getting ready:

1. Vacation dates scheduled and approved with boss— N/A - retired
2. Camp site reserved— N/A - HBC for me
3. RV reserved— my 9A is standing by

See ya'll there.

We camped in HBC with our RV-10 for 5 years straight after it’s first flight in 2015. In 2020, with no show we stayed in the Hilton. Last year we stayed in a rented RV and that’s like going on crack. As a result, we’re pretty much through with tent camping at this point although it’s always an option if the need arises.

CHICAGORANDY
02-02-2022, 01:56 PM
I have begun the laborious process of vacuum-sealing all my proposed 2022 conductor jokes, so they will remain fresh come July.

Airmutt
02-02-2022, 05:53 PM
And with that the AirVenture 2022 season is officially open:)

steve
02-02-2022, 07:58 PM
We camped in HBC with our RV-10 for 5 years straight after it’s first flight in 2015. In 2020, with no show we stayed in the Hilton. Last year we stayed in a rented RV and that’s like going on crack. As a result, we’re pretty much through with tent camping at this point although it’s always an option if the need arises.

Three guys (75, 64 and 55) from our airport have rented a house in Appleton and a rental car for the last 3 big shows. Another one (70) in our group was thinking he's too old for camping.
I'm 69 and thinking those guys just might be on to something. Maybe. Perhaps.
But then I wake up and smell the 100UL. Ya haven't attended Oshkosh if you haven't camped there. Sleeping in a tent for 10 nights. Showering in a trailer. Endless coffee in the HBC pavillion. The corn roast on Thursday. The RV beer fairy on Monday. The HBC beer tasting on Sunday. Breakfasts at the Sacred Heart booth. Dinners at the new Mineshaft. The evacuation to the museum before the big storm.
See y'all in camp.

Auburntsts
02-02-2022, 08:46 PM
Three guys (75, 64 and 55) from our airport have rented a house in Appleton and a rental car for the last 3 big shows. Another one (70) in our group was thinking he's too old for camping.
I'm 69 and thinking those guys just might be on to something. Maybe. Perhaps.
But then I wake up and smell the 100UL. Ya haven't attended Oshkosh if you haven't camped there. Sleeping in a tent for 10 nights. Showering in a trailer. Endless coffee in the HBC pavillion. The corn roast on Thursday. The RV beer fairy on Monday. The HBC beer tasting on Sunday. Breakfasts at the Sacred Heart booth. Dinners at the new Mineshaft. The evacuation to the museum before the big storm.
See y'all in camp.

I agree which is why staying off the immediate airport area (like in the dorms) has zero appeal to us. Staying in a rented RV at Sleepy Hollow for us is the best of all worlds — better accommodations, close proximity to our camping friends and non-show social activities like the HBC beer tasting, RV social, SOS bros, and various aircraft camping and Scholler parties, the bus park for rides to Target/Pick-n-Save and we still get to fly in— its just now we in park in HBP vs HBC, although last year, where they grouped the RV-10s it was hard to tell where HBP ended and HBC began. The only downside is cost—significantly more expensive than tent camping (be it aircraft or Scholler) for sure. Oh and we rode that storm you mentioned out in our tent 2 years ago. Bottom line is there’s lodging options for every preference as long as you don’t procrastinate.

We went from this tent to this trailer:

Samuel
02-03-2022, 08:01 PM
Hey it’s a new year and I’m getting excited to make AV2022. Waiting to see if my planned time in Wisconsin and the work weekend dates match up. However, COVID and it’s aftermath is already impacting EAA. If you noticed, EAA cancelled its annual Hops and Props event for this year citing lack of supporting craft breweries and availability of support staff. I find it ironic that a state that is known for cheese, beer, and brats that EAA can’t find enough brewers. Lack of service staff is a real problem everywhere. I don’t know the specifics but heard that even AV 2021 volunteer numbers were down despite the huge turnout. Don’t have any insight how impacted EAA was in hiring it’s work force for AV but wonder if the current manpower issues which seem to mostly impact vendors could carry over into this summer.

Looks like there were about 500 less volunteers in 2021 compared to 2019.

2019 Facts and figures: https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/7-30-2019-AirVenture-2019-Facts-and-Figures-for-a-Record-Year

2021 Facts and figures: https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/08-03-2021-eaa-airventure-oshkosh-2021-facts-and-figures-for-an-outstanding-year

Not my video, but a great clip of flying a J-3 to Oshkosh 2021.

https://youtu.be/WAf6JhGYgiE

Can't wait for this year!

steve
02-04-2022, 07:57 PM
I agree which is why staying off the immediate airport area (like in the dorms) has zero appeal to us. Staying in a rented RV at Sleepy Hollow for us is the best of all worlds — better accommodations, close proximity to our camping friends and non-show social activities like the HBC beer tasting, RV social, SOS bros, and various aircraft camping and Scholler parties, the bus park for rides to Target/Pick-n-Save and we still get to fly in— its just now we in park in HBP vs HBC, although last year, where they grouped the RV-10s it was hard to tell where HBP ended and HBC began. The only downside is cost—significantly more expensive than tent camping (be it aircraft or Scholler) for sure. Oh and we rode that storm you mentioned out in our tent 2 years ago. Bottom line is there’s lodging options for every preference as long as you don’t procrastinate.

We went from this tent to this trailer:

I'll buy the first round for us at SOS this year.

Kyle Boatright
02-04-2022, 08:52 PM

A good (at least different) deal is the cafe at the Sleepy Hollow. They have these people called waiters who come and take your order, then, as if by magic, food and beer appear a few minutes later. I love SOS, but avoiding the "loud" is nice occasionally.

Auburntsts
02-04-2022, 09:05 PM

Deal! We’ll get the curds and corn!

Jeremy S
02-05-2022, 07:18 AM
Have my week of PTO approved. Planning on staying the entire week again if I can pull it off with family obligations.

My friend is taking his new camper to Scholler so I'll be tent camping next to it.

bmckinney
02-06-2022, 04:58 PM
This will be consecutive year 23 (minus 2020 cancellation). We bring the camper over from MN in late June to Scholler, then fly 2 planes over (VariEze to HBP and Cherokee to GAC) on the Friday before the event starts. We stay until the end. Brought the VariEze over last year for the first time in 33 years. The original builder last flew it in in 1988. Controller said to land at or beyond the pink dot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhHiWegUYZc

FlyingRon
02-07-2022, 09:45 AM
This will be our 30th year a the show and our 24th year volunteering. The latter I can remember (make that, I better remember) because our first year volunteering is the year we got married.

CHICAGORANDY
02-08-2022, 09:38 AM
Once again I'll be arriving and tram conducting starting on the Saturday before 'official start' and staying through the last day of AirVenture. I stay at a tiny mom-n-pop motel a goodly distance from the grounds - any closer is WAY beyond my meager budget - but it IS indoors with A/C, TV, a bed and a private bathroom. I do luv my indoor livin'- lol. The last time I outdoor camped it was called Vietnam, and that experience completely satisfied my urge to sleep under the stars or 'rough it'.

Joda
02-08-2022, 03:59 PM
I was there in 1970 when they moved the fly-in up from Rockford, as a guest of my flying mentor, Jim Miles of Hartford, WI. Joined EAA in '76, and have been to every convention since 1977. Started volunteering in '78. Since then I've been a volunteer, an EAA employee, a vendor, then back to being an EAA employee. These days I'm back to being a volunteer. You'll find me down in the vintage area, as part of the Classic judging team. The event sure has changes over all those years, but I wouldn't miss it for anything!

Airmutt
02-08-2022, 06:27 PM
Absolutely agree. This afternoon I signed up for a couple of the Work Weekend sessions. Looking forward to seeing the staff and volunteer friends again. Shopping for a small used camper. Last year it just poured for one of the sessions. Luckily I got put up in the bunk house. Tent camping would have been just miserable.

Inspector Fenwick
02-24-2022, 08:32 AM
This will be consecutive year 23 (minus 2020 cancellation). We bring the camper over from MN in late June to Scholler, then fly 2 planes over (VariEze to HBP and Cherokee to GAC) on the Friday before the event starts. We stay until the end. Brought the VariEze over last year for the first time in 33 years. The original builder last flew it in in 1988. Controller said to land at or beyond the pink dot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhHiWegUYZc

I may have to do something similar to what you did, logistics wise, this year, only from a slighter greater distance. Can you share what the process is to actually set up in Scholler that early in June? I mean, is the check in process up and running that early? That must have been quite a bill for camping. Thanks in advance.

bmckinney
02-24-2022, 03:26 PM
I may have to do something similar to what you did, logistics wise, this year, only from a slighter greater distance. Can you share what the process is to actually set up in Scholler that early in June? I mean, is the check in process up and running that early? That must have been quite a bill for camping. Thanks in advance.

I take the camper over on Scholler opening day (end of June) and usually arrive late morning. If you come this early you can get a spot in Paul's woods. It's nice to have shade. Most people just stake/ribbon out their campsite with their credentials and come in later with the campers, etc. I like to come over and get it positioned and have it ready to go when we arrive. You do have to start paying for it on that day through the end of the show, so the bill comes in high (>$750). But, we feel it is worth it to have quick entry/exit access and we eat all of our meals at our campsite and do not spend anything onsite ($$$) for food or drinks. We are there for 10 days. We have 4 kids (now ages 16-23) and have been bringing the camper over early for several years. We never thought of it back when the kids were ages 1-8 and we carted them from the far southwest side of the campgrounds.

My son (23) and I then fly over the Thursday or Friday before opening day. My wife and daughters drive over Saturday morning. In 2019 and prior years, my daughter would bring my truck over. At the end of the week, my wife would drive the girls home, my son would fly the Cherokee back, and I would bring the camper back with my truck. Last year (2021), my son and I both flew over in separate planes. He brought the Cherokee and put in the North 40. He likes to sleep with the plane. I flew the VariEze and parked it in HBP with the other Canards. I flew the VariEze back to MN on the last Friday morning @ 6:00am (1:10 hour flight) and brought the truck back. I was back in Scholler by 12:30pm. We stayed the final weekend and then came home.

Here was our spot in 2021 the day we dropped the camper off. You can see that the spots around us are just ribboned off by the others. Our location was just few steps to enter the grounds behind the hangars and Theater in the Woods.

FlyinAdamBadger
03-08-2022, 06:24 PM
If you haven't watched March's EAA Video Magazine, I suggest that you do so. It's chalked full of EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2022 information. Watch Here: http://eaa.brightcovegallery.com/chapters/detail/videos/news-from-hq_/video/6300006012001/march-2022-chapter-video-magazine---news-from-hq?autoStart=true

Here are my notes below:

9:10-13:19 - EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2022:

EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2022, the 69th edition of EAA’s annual fly-in convention coming July 25-31 at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
This year, there will be no COVID-19 restrictions in place like there was last year.
They are improving the parking signage.
They are sticking with the parking plan that was implemented in 2021 for 2022.
No Opening Night Concert for the second year in a row.
The 75th anniversary of the United States Air Force will be celebrated at the event. Read Here: https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/12-02-2021-eaa-airventure-oshkosh-2022-to-celebrate-75th-anniversary-of-us-air-force
The 50th anniversary of the Van’s Aircraft RV series, which have become the world’s most popular kit airplanes, will be a major element of homebuilt aircraft activities at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2022. Read More: https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventure-news-and-multimedia/eaa-airventure-news/eaa-airventure-oshkosh/2022-02-24-vans-anniversary
Flight of the Cats during the Air Show This lineup will feature the Grumman F6F Hellcat, Grumman F8F Bearcat, and Grumman F4F Wildcat.
Top Gun: Maverick is supposedly scheduled to be shown at EAA's Fly-In Theater on Friday, July 29th.
When volunteers gather at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh in 2022 to build an airplane in a week, that Sonex Waiex will feature a Rotax 912iS engine, bringing top engine technology to the One Week Wonder project. The One Week Wonder will start construction on Monday, July 25th — the opening day of AirVenture — with a goal to taxi the airplane during the final day’s air show on Sunday, July 31st.
Two Honor Flights will take place this year. They are scheduled for Tuesday, July 26th and Friday, July 29th.
EAA Young Eagles 30th Anniversary Information: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/youth/free-ye-flights/young-eagles-30th-anniversary

GeorgeP
03-09-2022, 01:00 AM
Thanks for providing the above links, FlyinAdamBadger. :thumbsup:
The USAF anniversary should result in a few interesting types participating, both in-service and historic. The flight of the cats sounds great and I can't wait to see the display. Hopefully, at least one Tigercat will attend to complete the set. After a two-year absence due to Covid, I'm looking forward to returning to worship at the Temple of Aviation. ;) :D

skyfixer8
05-14-2022, 05:48 PM
Maybe someone from staff can answer this one. Are the new grounds and shuttle maps going to be posted soon ?

Flyboy328
05-19-2022, 10:40 PM
How are they going to handle sanitation this year? Since the virus is kicking up again, it would be nice to know they are not kicking it under the rug!

dragon2knight
05-21-2022, 03:13 PM
I'm still on the fence about this year. I drive over from NYC and with gas prices hitting nearly 6 bucks a gallon and me with my not very thrifty F-150 going it alone this year....well, I'm gonna have to think real hard on this one this year. Combined with all the campground fees from parking to site costs (sadly they are separate now, didn't used to be...)plus admission of course, this was a fairly cheap trip that isn't going to be this year. When I went with friends it was an affordable good time, by oneself, not so much so. Despite this I wish all a great time who make it there this year!

Kevin O'Halloran
05-22-2022, 05:48 PM
Its only money

just spent a week in Oshkosh getting ready for the big event

Parked my plane in hangar C
taxied out this morning--wish I had a video of my bonanza crossing aeroshell square

skyranger
05-23-2022, 04:54 AM
I am going to Oshkosh but without the camper I live 1000 miles away and 10 mpg with the camper and one night each way at a campground . My Grandson and I will drive straight thru and tent it . Will save a thousand bucks . If gas goes to 10 a gallon I won't go .

Michael McGrew
05-23-2022, 07:57 PM
Will they have the water melon feast at the Sea Plane base this year? If so, Are they limiting the number of guest?

Auburntsts
05-24-2022, 05:30 PM
The 2022 NOTAM has been published https://www.eaa.org/-/media/Files/AirVenture/FlyingIn/NOTAM/2022/2022-FAA-Notice-AirVenture-Flight-Procedures-NOTAM.ashx

skyranger
05-25-2022, 04:54 AM
Children under 18 still get in free ?

Auburntsts
05-25-2022, 06:25 AM
Children under 18 still get in free ?

Yes

DaleB
05-25-2022, 10:35 AM
What about it you just occasionally get accused of acting like you're under 18? :)

rwanttaja
05-25-2022, 11:49 AM
What about it you just occasionally get accused of acting like you're under 18? :)

E.g., can we self-identify as 17 years old? :-)

Ron Wanttaja

mc20
05-26-2022, 07:14 PM
> The 2022 NOTAM has been published

I love how it’s been renamed to a Notice on the front cover to avoid the stupid new NOTAM acronym.

CHICAGORANDY
05-27-2022, 06:12 AM
> The 2022 NOTAM has been published

I love how it’s been renamed to a Notice on the front cover to avoid the stupid new NOTAM acronym.

I didn't know this, so had to use Mr. Google to help me - lol

"On Thursday, Dec. 2021 the meaning of the acronym NOTAM changed from “Notice to Airmen” to “Notice to Air Missions.” According to the 176-page rule from the FAA, the name change complies with the Federal Women's Program (FWP) suggestions, as the term Notice to Air Missions is “inclusive of all aviators and missions.”

rwanttaja
05-27-2022, 12:01 PM
I didn't know this, so had to use Mr. Google to help me - lol

"On Thursday, Dec. 2021 the meaning of the acronym NOTAM changed from “Notice to Airmen” to “Notice to Air Missions.” According to the 176-page rule from the FAA, the name change complies with the Federal Women's Program (FWP) suggestions, as the term Notice to Air Missions is “inclusive of all aviators and missions.”
I don't have a problem with it, for several reasons.

First, the original was a bad acronym. It should have been "NOTA," not "NOTAM." There's rarely a reference to "Air Men", so with the term "Airmen", the "M" at the end is superfluous.

Second, not everyone who uses them is a member of a flight crew. "Air Missions" better encompasses the range of users.

I admit the transition will be awkward, but transitions usually are. Humans get over it. Ten years ago, a new product was put on the market to massive hilarity and derision over its name. Many of the jokes compared the name to women's menstrual products. But today, we see "Ipad" without a blink, and similar products from other companies' similar products are called "pads" as well.

Give it time....

Ron Wanttaja

skyfixer8
05-27-2022, 03:17 PM
Question for "glampers". Is there a place to fill camper water tank and how much do they charge ?

skyranger
05-30-2022, 01:57 PM
There are several places - FREE !

skyfixer8
05-31-2022, 08:08 AM
Thanks. Had to ask . Was checking camping guide and it said fill tanks near red barn and there was a fee.

Joda
05-31-2022, 09:45 AM
Thanks. Had to ask . Was checking camping guide and it said fill tanks near red barn and there was a fee.

There is a fee if you want to have the water brought to your camper. If you can find a faucet on the way in to your campsite you can fill 'er up yourself. The fee is basically for the convenience of having the water delivered.

skyfixer8
06-01-2022, 09:46 AM
Thanks Joe. Now if gas prices will just go down LOL

troy_m
06-13-2022, 11:21 AM
I'm wondering when the schedule of forums will be posted? Just checked the Airventure website this morning, didn't see anything.

turtle
06-13-2022, 04:24 PM
Seems like there's not much effort this year, either by the EAA or the participants. News has been slow to non-existent. No forum schedule or vendor list. No concert. (yeah, yeah, the covid excuse while music festivals are still happening everywhere) Fly-in theater with no presenter announced. Not much activity on this board considering how close the date is. Haven't heard anyone asking about the app yet. Even the usual meet-ups on the other boards are absent.

Hopefully more people show up than in 2020.

CHICAGORANDY
06-14-2022, 05:35 AM
I suspect that a number of folks - attendees and vendors - are weighing their financial options as fuel prices continue to rise to insane levels. Whether they drive up to Oshkosh as I do or fly in, it is a REAL make/break concern. In my case I make a 100 mile commute from my motel to the airfield and back each of the nine days I volunteer on the trams. More than doubling my gas expenditure from last year's levels WILL dictate/cancel a lot of my spending choices at the event. I am still attending because old & crummy jokes aren't gonna tell themselves on those trams, but the budget will be taking a substantial hit.

Jeremy S
06-14-2022, 01:56 PM
I will be driving up from Southern Indiana with friends, likely carpooling in a couple of vehicles so we will split the costs. We still plan on going, though it will certainly be more expensive for us than in previous years. Besides fuel costs, food and other supplies have increased. Luckily most of my group is well off financially so we have the disposable income to attend despite increased costs. Not everyone is that fortunate.

The organizations that will suffer are the most are the flying museums who are already operating on a tight budget. I’ll bring extra cash to drop them some larger donations that usual. With my business we are fighting constant supply chain issues… can’t get parts, supplies, and there is a shortage of trucks for shipping equipment. I expect EAA is facing the same problems but much amplified.

We’re also in a big Covid peak at the moment, so fingers crossed it will die down by next month.

I have also noticed the lack of a schedule. Does anyone remember when it was usually available in past years? Despite the challenges, I plan to try to stay for the entire week and am getting excited.

GeorgeP
06-15-2022, 03:18 AM
...I have also noticed the lack of a schedule. Does anyone remember when it was usually available in past years? Despite the challenges, I plan to try to stay for the entire week and am getting excited.

G'day Jeremy,

there's a schedule here: https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventure-schedule-of-events

It is available for PC and phones/tablets and I have registered and found it to be very user-friendly. Just click on the big blue button. Not all events are listed but I presume that more will be added during the next couple of weeks. Like you, I am very excited about this year's event.

CHICAGORANDY
06-15-2022, 04:24 PM
Let the excitement begin!! The Tram Boss just sent me my conductor schedule for my 9 day run at the back of the rigs. Plenty of time now to begin rehearsing the hundred or so 'dad' jokes I'll be using this season. Many old ones and many new ones of course, and all are 100% guaranteed squeaky clean. In today's idiotic 'woke' environment I sure wouldn't want to offend any super-sensitive attendees.;)

MY rule of thumb? If I wouldn't tell the joke from the pulpit in a house of worship, I won't tell it from the back of a tram. I keep my life simple that way.

Jeremy S
06-20-2022, 07:06 PM
Thanks George. I see that now!

G'day Jeremy,

there's a schedule here: https://www.eaa.org/airventure/eaa-airventure-schedule-of-events

It is available for PC and phones/tablets and I have registered and found it to be very user-friendly. Just click on the big blue button. Not all events are listed but I presume that more will be added during the next couple of weeks. Like you, I am very excited about this year's event.

bmckinney
06-26-2022, 07:35 PM
We secured our camping spot Friday morning, opening day for Camp Scholler. Paul's Woods was filling up fast. Last year we were able to get the front row right behind hangars B & D, nearest corner to enter by Theatre in the Woods. We got there an hour earlier this year and we are further west and back a row. There is excitement for sure!