PDA

View Full Version : Errors Extruded Cut or Extruded BossBase

MB107
12-01-2021, 05:33 PM
I'm having difficulty with a radiator shroud I am trying to make. For some reason I can't seem to cut the hole in the shroud. I have tried placing holes on every surface of the shroud with no luck, I also tried boss bass and also no luck. Attached are examples of the errors I get when I try each operation.

Does anyone have any idea whats going on here?

FloydHankers28
12-02-2021, 07:07 PM
I'm having difficulty with a radiator shroud I am trying to make. For some reason I can't seem to cut the hole in the shroud. I have tried placing holes on every surface of the shroud with no luck, I also tried boss bass and also no luck. Attached are examples of the errors I get when I try each operation.

Does anyone have any idea whats going on here?

Hello MB107,

I can't tell looking at the 2D, but is the sketch of the circle on the planar face shown, or is on a plane that's more or less coincident to that surface?

In the 2nd image, you should have gotten the error message (paraphrasing) "cut does not intersect...", but you didn't get that one. You got the vague one!!

I see you're in sheet metal. I've noticed some weird changes to the 2019-2020 student version that makes sheet metal a lot more work than, say, the 2016 version. One thing you may want to try is to take the cut into regular part mode, but clicking the "Features" Tab. It might be easier that way.

I'll check in tomorrow for any possible update.

MB107
12-04-2021, 10:18 PM
Yes the sketch is on a planer surface. I tried every surface on that part to put a hole in it and no luck. Then I tried placing boss bases on it and no luck anywhere. I finally remade the part and got everything to work but I have no idea why. Must have been some kind of corrupt file?

FloydHankers28
12-05-2021, 01:55 PM
Well, I'm glad you got it to work!
For future reference, SolidWorks on a laptop is always going to be harder than on a desktop or a workstation. Laptops have a lot of priorities, and we're just not one of them! Continually checking on temperatures, battery condition and various background programs always "screaming" about an internet connection so they can phone home are the actual priorities of the system. We, the owner/user, come in a distant second. In other words, the computations we want to occur using SolidWorks will continually be interrupted, these interruptions do cause problems. I believe that's what you experienced here in conjunction with a graphics card hiccup. This is the most common problem facing us users. Nothing to do, but recognize it, and then try a different approach.
One thing that would work well was elevating to an Administrator priority by right clicking on the SolidWorks icon in the Start Menu and selecting "run as admin" (paraphrase.) This action would move the prority upwards, but not to the top level. However, this 2020 Student version doesn't like that at all.
There's more to be careful of as well especially with graphics. Always make sure that the graphics driver is up to date, but if you're getting bad results after the update, make note of the version and delete it. On the next restart, the computer will reload the previous driver.
Then there's also the tried and true trick of limiting which programs can start up as soon as the computer starts. Microsoft Word, for example, does not need to be on in the background for people like us. Having it on in the background still using CPU time which we need for a program like SolidWorks. I hope some of this will help!

MB107
12-07-2021, 12:54 AM
I'm running it on a Lenova ThinkStation 520P with a separate graphic card and 48 GB ram. It on the approved list of Solidworks work stations. Solidworks is the only thing I run on this machine. This pretty much sucks as I used to run Catia V5 with 4GB of ram on a Dell precision laptop. Solidworks does appear to be more resource hungry.

FloydHankers28
12-07-2021, 05:05 PM
It's a combination of that and Windows being more intrusive and aggressive about it. I found that most assemblies I try to create since the October updates can't keep track of the files the assemblies are made up of. It's a complete mess, and I end up having to do things in multi-body. Good Luck!!!