PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Free SOLIDWORKS

Eric Page
08-18-2021, 11:14 AM
I received the following email from EAA this morning:

Dear Eric,

Thank you for being an EAA member and for taking advantage of the SOLIDWORKS EAA member benefit. For the last five years, we have been proud to offer SOLIDWORKS Education Premium to EAA members free of charge. The uptake and feedback from members has been tremendous.

As we roll into the next phase of the SOLIDWORKS and EAA relationship, I wanted to communicate an important change to the program.

Beginning today, EAA members will have access to 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers at a 50% discount. This offering is replacing SOLIDWORKS Education Premium, which was free of charge for EAA members. This change was not initiated by EAA.

With this new benefit structure, EAA members will have greater access to support and resources. Now included in this member benefit is:

50% off 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers: The world’s best design tools, now for hobbyists and personal projects.
Retail: $99/year | EAA Members: $49.50/year
Roles within this product include:

3D Creator
3D Sculptor
3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Professional
Collaborative Business Innovator
Collaborative Industry Innovator

FREE access to SOLIDWORKS training resources ($156 value)
FREE access to three SOLIDWORKS certification exams ($198 value)

Collaborative Business Innovator
Collaborative Industry Innovator
3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Associate – Mechanical Design

FREE access to quarterly aviation-focused SOLIDWORKS webinars
FREE access to the Maker Communities

Those EAA members currently using SOLIDWORKS Educational Premium will be able to continue using this version until their license expires. Once a member begins using 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers, they will need to renew on an annual basis.

Here are some helpful links:
Details about 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers › (http://go.eaa.org/OTEwLVNFVS0wNzMAAAF--Pdzr5WjXqjQ1-sbd9XQMVJBIxB1bL8qyhJE6rPVJgOoXoMOYFvqG8JArAm9MV_Z k-z16XA=)

3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers FAQ for EAA Members › (http://go.eaa.org/OTEwLVNFVS0wNzMAAAF--Pdzr171FzhF1HS7mPf4p8aBcBISnODH-fg9S0Uf0zJn86d12vJu-cHq8bwIpdrrdNhPyW0=)

Request EAA member-only access to 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers › (http://go.eaa.org/OTEwLVNFVS0wNzMAAAF--Pdzrzck3tOXdm8w4zHJ1gToFyIQujqUKs8qNrTZ2_lkvHHnBhu GfWkyjIqKEyI7QV1njlA=)

Thank you for being an EAA member. I hope you continue to find value in EAA’s partnership with SOLIDWORKS, and enjoy 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know.

Tailwinds,
David Leiting, EAA Manager, Membership Development

Figures. Just when I get serious about learning and using the tool, DS wants to put their hand in my pocket…

rwanttaja
08-18-2021, 12:18 PM
Geeze. Now that my skill level has improved from abysmal to awful, this happens.

Looks like Maker is $50 a year at the EAA rate. Models are stored online, not on one's own PC. Says "neutral file formats can be exported in order to share externally", which sounds like files from the program itself will only be held in the SW cloud. Nothing in the FAQ says that our existing files will be compatible with the new program. In fact, if there *isn't* a way to transfer files from our own PCs to the SW Cloud, there's no way we can get our existing SW files to the program to work with them.

Wants Windows 10, too.

So...what are the alternative packages out there? Which ones will accept Solidworks files, or what format should we re-save all of our files before the plug is pulled?

Ron Wanttaja

gwb
08-18-2021, 12:22 PM
My main question is: Will the SW Professional part still be able to store your drawings on your PC or just on the Cloud? It sounds like it is just for model storage.
Although no longer included in the EAA membership. $49 a year for a legit copy is a good deal. I'm sure many of us could care less about the collaboration tools, that is the way everything in design is moving.

If you can only store to the cloud, that is a deal breaker for me..no internet no accessibility.

rwanttaja
08-18-2021, 12:27 PM
$49 a year for the current program would be a bargain (even though it's currently free). But if it comes with a lack of privacy (cloud storage) and the inability to access our current files or being incompatible with them....well, might as well switch to another tool.

Ron Wanttaja

gwb
08-18-2021, 12:28 PM
Fusion 360 is a great cad-cam package but $300+ a year.

gwb
08-18-2021, 01:31 PM
not to rain on the parade, but this is the general feeling on the Solidworks 3D Maker support page:

I wouldn't be sure whether the people who can make decisions are actually using the forums themselves. (Or whether they just know the how-it-should-be visions from shiny slides...).
Think most makers are not working on projects collaboratively and thus cannot make any use of the benefits that the cloud capabilities would buy us, so we just have to suffer from the added instability and complexity. So imho it's mainly the wrong product for the wrong target group.
E.g. SolidWorks standalone + CAM + perhaps some simulation capabilities (instead of SW Connected + xDesign + xShape + all the PLM tools) would have been MUCH closer to the the actual needs of typical makers and would imho have lead to new users with a positive attitude towards SW - instead of refund requests.
In hindsight I guess they just wanted beta testers for the cloud solution (that even pay a little instead of having to be paid) while the actual needs of the people wasn't considered too relevant. Which backfires now, as people don't want to beta test but expect to get some use out of what they paid for.
But let's just hope, perhaps somebody who can make decisions IS reading this and some things get reconsidered. Fingers crossed!

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexperience.3ds.com/#community:kKnaKWHGTPC4ut-q1X_9uA

DonR62
08-18-2021, 08:21 PM
"Please note, commercial products and Add-Ins are not supported or included with this version of 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers."

It'd be good to know what this means precisely and ...

"Files and data created with your Maker account are digitally watermarked and can only be opened up in another Maker platform. You cannot open up files created with your Maker account within a commercial or academic platform. This digital watermark is added to native 3D file formats, such as .3dxml, .sldprt, .sldasm, and .slddrw."

Well the spruiked collaboration benefits have just been shot down in flames with my machinist who uses desktop SW.

https://discover.solidworks.com/makers?utm_campaign=202107_glo_swks_EAA_Membership _en__XCMP1691_&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=partners&mkt_tok=OTEwLVNFVS0wNzMAAAF--Pdzr-txpyio-VGJqj4mAeMbu2V8oVDNHsKdPq-iWviDwj5pjk_ay2YiJr7pTUngdaSXPSzFrXOb8kwYAMy3BUdxY 2oWbQmFaNNuZTZhE3I

Eric Page
08-18-2021, 09:22 PM
The inability to export files from this “Maker” version to file formats that are readable by production shops with desktop SOLIDWORKS, or any other 3D CAD package is, I suspect, a deal breaker for most EAA members. I need to be able to produce the parts I draw, and that requires readable file exports.

I also have zero interest in having my files locked in the DS cloud instead of my desktop computer. Would anyone care to bet on what happens to your design files if you miss a $50 renewal, then later join up again? I very much doubt that DS will store your files for long without payment. No way am I paying $50/year, forever, to maintain access to my own work.

Drake Firebreed
08-18-2021, 09:58 PM
From the sound of it professional is our desktop version of SOLIDWORKS. We can still export STL and IGES. But the kick in the balls for me is the lack of simulation. That is what I need to improve designs. I already have ANSYS on my laptop but flow sim was way more intuitive sadly it seems like it's time to learn it. We can get that for free. MasterCam offers a home edition that although you can't export GCode you can validate a process (Not helpful for actual production).

rwanttaja
08-19-2021, 01:05 AM
The inability to export files from this “Maker” version to file formats that are readable by production shops with desktop SOLIDWORKS, or any other 3D CAD package is, I suspect, a deal breaker for most EAA members. I need to be able to produce the parts I draw, and that requires readable file exports.
Ditto. Almost all my SW work is aimed at generating parts to send to my 3D printer.

Ron Wanttaja

DaleB
08-19-2021, 09:42 AM
Well, that's certainly disappointing. More and more companies are moving toward this subscription model, where they can collect money from you forever just so you can continue accessing your own stuff. Licensing the commercial version of SolidWorks is a non-starter for me, as is having anything I design bound to paying a yearly fee (which can and will of course be raised) to have access to -- as long as the company still thinks it's convenient for them.

Not that I an jaded enough to think that companies will take advantage of locked in proprietary files stored in their cloud to extract more money at every opportunity, but... well... yeah, I am. I really do appreciate the access to SW that we've enjoyed for the past few years, and kudos and thanks to EAA for that -- but it seems to me that its utility for many of us is now at an end.

JohnMyers
08-19-2021, 10:49 AM
I have spent the last couple of weeks diving in to CFD, which was pulled. I feel for people who invested much more time than I have to learn this product and are now left without having SolidWorks as a practical option.

What do people recommend as an alternative to SolidWorks, if there is one? OpenFOAM and some of the other CFD tools seem beyond the hobbiest to use.

Edit: It looks like Onshape is free if you keep your files public, as well as the integrated SimScale simulation. I would want feedback on my designs anyways, and it lets people learn from each other, so I think that's a great policy.

David Leiting
08-19-2021, 12:01 PM
Geeze. Now that my skill level has improved from abysmal to awful, this happens.

Looks like Maker is $50 a year at the EAA rate. Models are stored online, not on one's own PC. Says "neutral file formats can be exported in order to share externally", which sounds like files from the program itself will only be held in the SW cloud. Nothing in the FAQ says that our existing files will be compatible with the new program. In fact, if there *isn't* a way to transfer files from our own PCs to the SW Cloud, there's no way we can get our existing SW files to the program to work with them.

Wants Windows 10, too.

So...what are the alternative packages out there? Which ones will accept Solidworks files, or what format should we re-save all of our files before the plug is pulled?

Ron Wanttaja

Ron, I have been having an open dialogue with some reps from DS. Here is what I was told. "One of the complaints has been about the lack of local file save and open, and in response, the September update will bring that functionality." They recommend posting these concerns to the Makers-Support 3DSwym Community (https://eu1-ds-iam.3dexperience.3ds.com/cas/login?service=https%3A//r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexperience.3ds.com/). I have heard a few other comments about the lack of Flow Simulation and CAM role. Those comments should also be made in that group..

Thank,
David

David Leiting
08-19-2021, 12:03 PM
not to rain on the parade, but this is the general feeling on the Solidworks 3D Maker support page:

I wouldn't be sure whether the people who can make decisions are actually using the forums themselves. (Or whether they just know the how-it-should-be visions from shiny slides...).
Think most makers are not working on projects collaboratively and thus cannot make any use of the benefits that the cloud capabilities would buy us, so we just have to suffer from the added instability and complexity. So imho it's mainly the wrong product for the wrong target group.
E.g. SolidWorks standalone + CAM + perhaps some simulation capabilities (instead of SW Connected + xDesign + xShape + all the PLM tools) would have been MUCH closer to the the actual needs of typical makers and would imho have lead to new users with a positive attitude towards SW - instead of refund requests.
In hindsight I guess they just wanted beta testers for the cloud solution (that even pay a little instead of having to be paid) while the actual needs of the people wasn't considered too relevant. Which backfires now, as people don't want to beta test but expect to get some use out of what they paid for.
But let's just hope, perhaps somebody who can make decisions IS reading this and some things get reconsidered. Fingers crossed!

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexperience.3ds.com/#community:kKnaKWHGTPC4ut-q1X_9uA

Hi GWB,

I posted this in another location, but I wanted to share this here as well..

I have been in talks with some people from DS. The biggest concerns from EAA members has been the cloud usage, lack of Flow Simulation, and no CAM role. In regards to those concerns, I did reach out to DS. Here is what they had to say.

"The best way to be vocal about it would be for people to post their concern in the Makers-Support 3DSwym Community. One of the complaints has been about the lack of local file save and open, and in response, the September update will bring that functionality. I could easily see a CAM role and a SIMULATION role getting added to the offer in the future."

I hope this provides some guidance.

Thank you,
David

David Leiting
08-19-2021, 12:08 PM
From the sound of it professional is our desktop version of SOLIDWORKS. We can still export STL and IGES. But the kick in the balls for me is the lack of simulation. That is what I need to improve designs. I already have ANSYS on my laptop but flow sim was way more intuitive sadly it seems like it's time to learn it. We can get that for free. MasterCam offers a home edition that although you can't export GCode you can validate a process (Not helpful for actual production).

Drake, I have been having an open dialogue with some reps from DS. Here is what I was told. "One of the complaints has been about the lack of local file save and open, and in response, the September update will bring that functionality." They recommend posting these concerns to the Makers-Support 3DSwym Community (https://eu1-ds-iam.3dexperience.3ds.com/cas/login?service=https%3A//r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexperience.3ds.com/). I have heard a few other comments about the lack of Flow Simulation and CAM role. Those comments should also be made in that group..

Thanks,
David

rwanttaja
08-19-2021, 12:54 PM
Ron, I have been having an open dialogue with some reps from DS. Here is what I was told. "One of the complaints has been about the lack of local file save and open, and in response, the September update will bring that functionality." They recommend posting these concerns to the Makers-Support 3DSwym Community (https://eu1-ds-iam.3dexperience.3ds.com/cas/login?service=https%3A//r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexperience.3ds.com/). I have heard a few other comments about the lack of Flow Simulation and CAM role. Those comments should also be made in that group..
Thanks, David. I think we all are aware that this situation is not of EAA's making, and we appreciate the work you're doing.

I have ~4 months until my license expires. Gives me time to try to convert my more complex files. I'll probably sign up on the new system, but won't keep it up if it doesn't provide something like the very basic capability I'm using now.

Ron Wanttaja

Jeffrey Meyer
08-19-2021, 04:37 PM
What do people recommend as an alternative to SolidWorks, if there is one?

FreeCAD

https://www.freecadweb.org/downloads.php
Seems to be a pretty good piece of open source engineering software. (And free!)

Drake Firebreed
08-19-2021, 09:35 PM
FreeCAD

https://www.freecadweb.org/downloads.php
Seems to be a pretty good piece of open source engineering software. (And free!)

I second that. FreeCad is closer to SOLIDWORKS than AutoCAD in my opinion. Also if you are dealing with objects only for 3d printing I'd recommend Blender. I really think SOLIDWORKS is shooting themselves in the foot here when the competition is offering free edu programs/ open source.

If you want to spend money for CAM Autodesk HSM is amazing MasterCam beats them out but at a price. I've also tried ESPIRT but it's kinda clumsy but If I remember right it's cheaper than both of those.

CFD is OpenFoam (Linux based) or ANSYS. FreeCAD has CAE but I've never tried it personally.

We do have options but sadly non of them are all inclusive like SOLIDWORKS was.

Drake Firebreed
08-19-2021, 10:18 PM
Drake, I have been having an open dialogue with some reps from DS. Here is what I was told. "One of the complaints has been about the lack of local file save and open, and in response, the September update will bring that functionality." They recommend posting these concerns to the Makers-Support 3DSwym Community (https://eu1-ds-iam.3dexperience.3ds.com/cas/login?service=https%3A//r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexperience.3ds.com/). I have heard a few other comments about the lack of Flow Simulation and CAM role. Those comments should also be made in that group..

Thanks,
David

I tried to post as I do have an account but it says I do not have permission. I guess I need to first purchase the newer version hopefully other people will speak up as I don't want to purchase until my edu expires.

gwb
08-21-2021, 12:41 AM
Hi GWB,

I posted this in another location, but I wanted to share this here as well..

I have been in talks with some people from DS. The biggest concerns from EAA members has been the cloud usage, lack of Flow Simulation, and no CAM role. In regards to those concerns, I did reach out to DS. Here is what they had to say.

"The best way to be vocal about it would be for people to post their concern in the Makers-Support 3DSwym Community. One of the complaints has been about the lack of local file save and open, and in response, the September update will bring that functionality. I could easily see a CAM role and a SIMULATION role getting added to the offer in the future."

I hope this provides some guidance.

Thank you,
David

Thank you David for responding and the great info.
Excellent news about the Sept update. The CAM function will also hopefully be restored. I do believe HSM can be used as a add-in. I installed it on the previous version and it worked very well.
At the EAA price, this package is still an excellent EAA benefit and price.. I'm sure it will wind up as an great CAD-CAM package. Thank you for your support.

vondeliusc
08-21-2021, 03:56 PM
Dear fellow EAA CAD'ers,
I just want to say how badly this SUCKS. Having run SolidWorks since 2007, and in professional environments, it is classic Dassault Systems corporate greed.
The first place I noticed it, was when I saw that SW2007 could not open a later version, like from 2011, with "cannot open. Future version." riggggght.
How did 2007 know there would be a future version unless this planned/forced obsolescence was integrated intentionally. Strange Microsoft Word/Excel can open
previous MUCH older versions. And as SW matured, it ALWAYS has been unstable, and would crash for 'no' reason. In fact, SolidWorks is one of the ONLY programs
I have ever used that will crash, and disappear from the screen without a trace, no error dialogue...nothing, just a COMPLETE fail. And then they want to charge you
$1500 per year for a maintenance fee, which gets you the 'yearly' upgrade, and 'support' through the VAR ('Value' Added Reseller). Whenever we had crashes, the VAR
would say send a copy of the crash log, and MOST of the time, they would be like 'we don't know what is wrong or how to fix it, sorry'. Useless in my opinion.
AND, for an individual or struggling business, a base cost of around $5000/seat is outrageous, especially since now, every 'new' version, has virtually no practical upgraded
functionality, just useless GUI changes.
If SolidWorks would offer the same version as the EAA has been offered to members, for individual or minimal commercial use for less than $1000, or perhaps $500, they would
sell TONS of seats; an individual cannot justify $5000, but $500 is doable. Trying to force us to submit to a subscription model, where 'collaboration' is pushed, and 'cloud' is 'important',
is ridiculous. I don't collaborate with anyone as an individual 'inventor'. And I CANNOT stand 'the cloud', I mean 'someone else's computer', rather than storing my personal stuff on MY computer.
If you ask me, SolidWork's corporate bosses are SO not in touch with the majority, they have no idea what is going on. If you are not a massive corporation, they could give a crap about you, as is
evidenced by how they treat the 'not corporate' masses who appreciate the software. I have really appreciated the EAA benefit of the desktop SolidWorks software.
But I see this as a greedy dick move by Dassault Systems, and happy to tell them so. If they were to offer the same desktop version as this year to EAA members for $75 each year, I and I am sure,
many other members, would be happy for this benefit. But I will use Fusion 360 WAY before I will use a cloud version of SolidWorks. All they are doing is driving users to Autodesk and Fusion 360.
Having been kicked in the gut by this announcement, there is now less love for SolidWorks.
Rant over.
-Christian

MarkG
08-22-2021, 12:20 AM
Yeah, it's unfortunate. I'd be happy to pay $50 or even $100 a year for the Solidworks we have, but I was just getting to the point of wanting to use the CAM functionality and now it's not going to be there any more. And 'cloud' is just another word for 'ransoming your stuff.'

Guess I'll be looking for some other software that can do the limited amount of design and production that I need to do. This is just of little use to the market they're supposedly aiming for.

CharlieN
08-22-2021, 01:57 PM
Oh how F'ing delightful. I am just getting a new high end Win 10 computer up and running specifically to get Solidworks back. And first thing I do is to download SW and find it is no longer available. There goes a major chunk of money for something that now is of literally no need to me. I have been an ACAD user since 1982 and looks like I will remain so.

Cloudbase Engineering
08-24-2021, 12:40 AM
Below is a post I made on the Homebuilt Aviation forum. I decided to have a look here and figured I would add this as well. So unhappy about this but know its not an EAA decision and that Solidworks is trying to push the 3D experience and this is a quick way to get a ton of users and feedback. Half price Paying Beta testers...

Victor Bravo said: (https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/goto/post?id=613233)
The staff does have riot gear at the SolidWorks headquarters, don't they?

I hope they can negotiate a 501 (c) 3 non-profit exemption for the local EAA chapters that have become non-profit org's. We're building a program at our chapter and were planning to offer training in SolidWorks to the kids building our Zenith.

This is very Disheartening. I was going to be the one teaching the kids and adults Solidworks and integrating into a STEM class of sorts where we would also use 3D printers and a Tormach PC1100 to build fixtures and jigs when building the Chapter 40 Zenith project. I had a look at the new 3D experience version and its so different, its apples to Oranges and I don't have the time to learn this to teach the kids. Also with it being cloud based we would never have enough internet bandwidth for 20 people all learning CAD in an airplane hangar running on a hotspot. Likely not even enough if I do the class in the airport conference room on their Wifi. Its sad to see that after 23 years of using Solidworks this is where its heading. The last company I was at tried to get us to switch to OnShape and I was the driving force to push back on it and we would have lost so much time switching to a new CAD software mid project. This new version looks like a carbon copy of OnShape...

Today I reached out to my Solidworks vendor where I bought my seat to see if I had any other alternatives. Yes mine is legit. Since these kids are in school they can buy the standard (non 3d Experience) student version for $99 a year. This workaround will work, but sadly it does not allow for anyone not in school to buy it. I.e. the adults also wanting to learn. I plan to call Solidworks direct to see if there is any way I can get 10 floating student licenses so that any 10 people can access it during a teaching session. I don't have much hope for this but maybe the "its for a good cause" and "you can add your logo to the plane" will work. Other alternative is get my vendor involved for a monetary donation since they are local to our airport and could stop by to see the progress and use it for marketing on their side. If they don't want to do it then its off to the competing vendor to ask.

Regardless I am sure I can sort something out, but I fear that the adults will be left out and many of them have been working tirelessly to get our hangar ready for the build. I would hate to see them miss out.

I am sure the EAA had no choice in the mater on which version woudl be available and they are pushing the 3D experience big time. They tried to get me to switch a while back and no way woudl I move an actual seat I own to a fully subscription based seat that has done 180 on how everything is done..

Fingers crossed we get there somehow.

Cloudbase Engineering
08-24-2021, 12:43 AM
Oh how F'ing delightful. I am just getting a new high end Win 10 computer up and running specifically to get Solidworks back. And first thing I do is to download SW and find it is no longer available. There goes a major chunk of money for something that now is of literally no need to me. I have been an ACAD user since 1982 and looks like I will remain so.

Hey Charlie,

Is 1982 a typo? Was it a commodore 64 version...;)

I started in ACAD with release 9 around 1990 I believe. Then to mechanical desktop when it was offered than Solidworks in 1997.

PittsS1S
08-24-2021, 02:56 PM
I am so disappointed to hear this! I have spent some serious time learning S/W since early 2000s (engineering school, work, etc), and we still have tons of seats at my work (I'd guess 250-300 seats), though I can't use for personal projects due to our database management. It was one of the biggest benefits of EAA membership for me (though I had been an EAA member long before it was introduced).

Recently had a computer issue, in which I had to uninstall S/W, and had planned to re-install it in the near future to continue working on many personal projects I was in the middle of. I'm incredibly disappointed that this is going away, regardless of who is at fault. Cloud-based CAD is the absolute LAST thing I want to mess with this at this point, and a $5k+/seat price for the full version of S/W is just not ever going to be feasible for a hobbyist or small business (it's probably more $$ than that now, for all I know). I'd gladly pay for a yearly/student version, $100/year or whatever, but I can't just drop $5k on a CAD package and $1500/yr for the "maintenance".

I will never try the "3DExperience for makers" or whatever they are calling this new crap, for which I've read almost universally bad reviews from experienced S/W users. Guess its time to find something else. Super bummed about this, but not surprised after what I've seen through our work arrangements with D.S. >> $$$$ above all!

CharlieN
08-25-2021, 05:35 AM
Hey Charlie,

Is 1982 a typo? Was it a commodore 64 version...;)

I started in ACAD with release 9 around 1990 I believe. Then to mechanical desktop when it was offered than Solidworks in 1997.

Yes as a matter of fact it is, 1992 is the correct year that I intended to state.

My wife and I had just bought our first computer, the salesman heard me state I intended to do drafting work and he included ACAD Lt on our new Win 3.1 system.
I soon had drawn a track car I was building for a customer and carried the computer a few towns away to use his plotter, how many here remember pen plotters?

He looked at my drawing and said you can't draw that in ACAD Lt, I said you should have told be that before I drew it.
I went home with ACAD 12 Dos on my system.
Far cry from pen on paper all my previous work was done with.

Below are two renders of my current build drawn on ACAD R14, not 2014

CharlieN
08-25-2021, 05:49 AM
i guess I should show a view of what is done with these drawings made on antique software.

65Flynn
08-25-2021, 07:48 PM
This is a huge disappointment. Access to not only SolidWorks but the add-ins enabling generative design, FEA and CFD was the greatest benefit of my EAA membership. So much so that I had my son join EAA just to take advantage of it.

I've been an EAA member since the 80's. I seriously considered dropping it several years ago until I discovered the SolidWorks access.

I rarely look at Sport Aviation, preferring Kit Planes instead. For liability reasons, the EAA no longer sponsors Fly-ins near me such as Copper State. We no longer need EAA Chapters given access to resources all over the globe online. So why am I sending money to this organization in Wisconsin? Without the SolidWorks benefit with advanced capabilities, I'm not realizing a return on my membership.

I have no doubt Dassault is directing the change. Autodesk moved the Software as a Service (SAS) years ago and it has helped their profitability. I get that. But why can't the EAA negotiate with their Dassault representative for an equivalent level of functionality to the benefit we enjoy today? Yes, I'd pay for it up to a point.

Sorry for the rant. But I want EAA leadership to know where I stand and I'd like them to negotiate further with Dassault. The 3DExperience model just doesn't cut it.

Have Blue
08-27-2021, 07:07 PM
This is incredibly disappointing news. I've been using SolidWorks for 20 years and when EAA worked with GSC to provide SolidWorks to the EAA membership, it seemed a match made in heaven. Giving a quality CAD tool to a group of highly technical, engineering-centric hobbyist users that could properly harness the software capabilities (and then talk up the product to their associates, employers, etc.) seemed like a win-win for everyone involved. Now, everyone using the software gets to pay extra money to beta test this crippled 'cloud' offering. Not sure about anyone else, but my hangar doesn't have wifi as an amenity, so being able to do modeling as I'm taking measurements off the plane is no longer possible. Back to sharpies and cardboard...

rwanttaja
09-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Just a quick comment here... I have downloaded Alibre

https://www.alibre.com/

...and it is able to load and re-save Solidworks files. One doesn't have to wade through all your Solidworks files and re-save them in another format before your license expires. It does export in other formats, such as .stp.
It's not free... $199, currently on sale for $150...but it has a 30-day trial.

Ron Wanttaja

CAVU Mark
09-02-2021, 05:25 PM
Now that is the spaceship I dream of. Dr. Zarcoff calling Flash Gordon!

aeberbach
09-07-2021, 02:55 PM
I used the education license we had and learned it fairly well. Then when login stopped working I paid for the Maker license, the next day requested a refund (no reply yet). This cloud storage business is just garbage, web infrastructure far too slow and fragile. While Solidworks is clearly superior to most apps once it's running I just won't deal with their nonsense, I don't want deal with teams or roles or importing or exporting. Too bad - I really hoped one day I would be able to justify buying the full product with the use I would get from it.

Am trialling Alibre Atom3D, but also looking at FreeCad and Blender. For the 3D printer oriented things I want to do right now learning any will probably be enough.

rwanttaja
09-08-2021, 06:17 PM
Just a quick comment here... I have downloaded Alibre

https://www.alibre.com/

...and it is able to load and re-save Solidworks files. One doesn't have to wade through all your Solidworks files and re-save them in another format before your license expires. It does export in other formats, such as .stp.
Had the first opportunity to actually use Alibre today. Got a simple bracket done in just a few minutes, then exported it and sent it to the 3D printer. Took only a bit longer than it would have in Solidworks, basically learning the new interface.

Saved an .stp file, and SW loaded it. Curiously, the fillets defined in Alibre didn't come across. It definitely works the other way; the SW fillets are recognized in Alibre.

As far as Alibre being able to load SW files, they come across, but not as the usual combinations of sketches, extrusions, etc. They end up as a massive collection of edges and faces. Not too easy to edit, but you can at least access the objects for sending to 3D printers, etc. So if you're working on a SW design, finish it up before your license expires.

Ron Wanttaja

Jeffrey Meyer
09-10-2021, 06:10 AM
...As far as Alibre being able to load SW files, they come across, but not as the usual combinations of sketches, extrusions, etc. They end up as a massive collection of edges and faces. Not too easy to edit, but you can at least access the objects for sending to 3D printers, etc. So if you're working on a SW design, finish it up before your license expires.

Ron Wanttaja

As far as "...the usual combinations of sketches, extrusions, etc." is concerned, this is an issue of expectations. There exist international standard cross-platform translators - IGES, STEP, ParaSolid, etc. - that translate basically only the final geometry without the engineering intent and history of how you built the geometry. The history protocol does not exist in any of these translators. SolidWorks, Alibre, FreeCAD, and Blender are not exceptions. Furthermore, the intimate connection between part files and drawing files, as well as mates in assemblies also get lost in the transfer.

That's the bad news.

Good news: I've been trying FreeCAD and I find that STEP files go across just fine, although the modeling interface takes a little getting used to. The program also includes FEM/A modules that I want to use. Obviously it isn't as mature as SolidWorks, it certainly doesn't have a massive user base, but equally obviously the developers are doing a pretty good job coming up with regular fixes and improvements. It seems to me that FreeCAD is engineering software developed by engineers for engineers. IMHO this is definitely a viable alternative to SW.

Jeffrey

rwanttaja
09-10-2021, 06:20 AM
Thanks Jeffrey, good info.

Ron Wanttaja

ripley98
09-14-2021, 01:28 PM
Such a disappointment, 3dexperience is garbage. Cannot concentrate on designing because of so many issues with the platform. On top of that, can’t save to my local computer only the dreaded cloud. Anyone else feel the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rwanttaja
09-14-2021, 07:15 PM
Such a disappointment, 3dexperience is garbage. Cannot concentrate on designing because of so many issues with the platform. On top of that, can’t save to my local computer only the dreaded cloud. Anyone else feel the same?
I got an email from an Alibre sales rep, asking for feedback on my experience. I suggested Alibre contact EAA to see if a discounted version might be included as a membership benefit. He said they're aware of the rancor involving the Solidworks change. At least buying Alibre, you don't have to worry about Lucy pulling the football away....

Ron Wanttaja

Eric Page
09-14-2021, 07:38 PM
That’s some heads up baseball, Ron! Let’s hope something comes of your suggestion. I’m planning to give Alibre a try too, as soon as I get through some other chores…

cwilliamrose
09-15-2021, 07:48 AM
Well, I'm resigned to buying a seat of SWx. I'm way too invested in modelling my current project and in over twenty years using SWx as part of my job. I hope to acquire the seat I'm currently using instead of buying a new seat because I'd be unable to run the older versions like I do now on this 9 year old Win7 workstation. Going to the newest version would likely mean a hardware update so the expense gets crazier. I never really considered using the EAA version due to the difficulty some folks have had renewing each year. I tried Alibre years ago and decided life's too short to learn yet another CAD software.......

Kim
09-16-2021, 09:32 PM
Can someone do a comparison of FreeCAD vs Alibre? Do we need a new thread, forum for alternatives to SW Student Edition?

bssailor
09-17-2021, 08:01 AM
Bought a new laptop and downloaded the new version of Solidworks since the Student version is no longer offered. What a disappointment! It takes 2 minutes just for the software to start. Radically different interface, files stored in the cloud only, spent about a week trying do something useful. As far as I can tell, no simulation, no CFD. Might be useful for making do-dads on a 3d printer, but totally useless for modeling any aircraft components as far as I can tell.

Looks like a classic bait and switch to me. They offer you something useful, let you use it long enough to get somewhat proficient, you build up enough work product that you don't want to give it up, and then they completely change the terms. New offering is crippled and you have to pay for it. My bet is they will add features back as they increase the cost.

I've un-installed it and requested a refund of my subscription fee. DS sent me an e-mail stating I will receive refund within 30 days.

I'm taking a look at onshape. I read an article on the DarkAero and they were using onshape. They have a free version if you make you files public.

rwanttaja
09-17-2021, 09:46 AM
Can someone do a comparison of FreeCAD vs Alibre? Do we need a new thread, forum for alternatives to SW Student Edition?
I had a need to produce a part fast; my SW license is still valid (runs out in January) but didn't want to waste any more time trying to figure out SW.

With that, I needed a tool that would leverage my (pitifully low) understanding of SW. I certainly could read or view some online tutorials, but I wanted to get going FAST (needed to take the part on a trip...to your neck of the woods, actually (Prior Lake)).

Here's the main screen for FreeCAD:
Now *I* found this less than intuitive. All the buttons had ToolTips, of course (e.g., a small descriptor if you paused over the button). But nothing leapt out at me that would help me drawing a particular part.

I'm sure a few minutes of tutorial would have helped, but from here, it looked like the SW to FreeCAD learning curve was a bit steep.

Here's the main screen for Alibre:
Note that, for a Solidworks user, this was MUCH more familiar ground. The button icons themselves show familiar imagery; Extrude, Loft, Fillet, Chamfer, etc. They work similarly.

Even better...note the "Activate 2D Sketch" button on the upper left. This exactly corresponds to the Sketch function in SW, and opens a new set of controls:
Many familiar functions, working similarly to SW. In fact, I found it *easier* to manipulate the view of the part in Alibre vs. Solidworks.
You can left-click and hold either the axial diagram on the lower left, or the 3D box on the upper right to change your point of view.

I'm sure FreeCAD's a fine program, but I think for someone trying to transition from Solidworks, Alibre is a better option.

The downside is that it costs money... $200 standard, on sale now for $150. Pilots are notoriously cheap; they squeeze nickels so hard that Jefferson's head extrudes through the buffalo's nether regions. Yet...if you're ticked at DSS for the change in SW policy, and just want to go back to drawing, it is probably worth it.

Note that Alibre gives you a 30-day trial period, so you don't have to take a pig in a poke. Try both... my computer currently has all three installed. I'll use Alibre, but keep FreeCAD installed in case I use a file generated by someone else.

Ron Wanttaja

steve
09-17-2021, 08:27 PM
I'm working my way through the FreeCAD tutorials on YouTube, albeit slowly. I sure miss 'ol Siemens NX / Unigraphics with which I have 30 years experience. I tried but a home license wasn't to be had as a retiree parting gift.

laytonl
09-20-2021, 03:57 PM
I’ve been experimenting with Alibre’s 30 day trial. As Ron said, it’s very similar to Solidworks. Solidworks is a great product but they have messed up with this change. EAA should work a deal with Alibre. Regardless, I likely will buy Alibre. Lee

bssailor
09-24-2021, 09:04 AM
Just an update to my earlier post. I received the refund from DS yesterday.

Michael S
09-24-2021, 03:15 PM
Just throwing this out there, not like it will make a difference, but a huge part of why I have kept my EAA membership up to date was for Solidworks. I have been using their software professionally since ~2016 and I am a CSWP. I had been planning on continuing to use this to keep building my own designs and working towards the Expert Certification.

I have ZERO interest in using the web-based 3DExperence platform. I am not interested in using laggy cloud based programs

Jeffrey Meyer
09-25-2021, 05:25 AM
Just throwing this out there, not like it will make a difference, but a huge part of why I have kept my EAA membership up to date was for Solidworks. I have been using their software professionally since ~2016 and I am a CSWP. I had been planning on continuing to use this to keep building my own designs and working towards the Expert Certification.

I have ZERO interest in using the web-based 3DExperence platform. I am not interested in using laggy cloud based programs

Michael S, I'm right behind you. Here's my 2 cents worth of bedtime reading:

I retired last year with 50+ years of professional engineering experience under my belt with CAD/CAM software including: I-Deas (later to become Unigraphics NX), Pro-E (Creo), SolidWorks, and CAD software development of in-house application specific packages for 3 large companies.

For most of my designs I prefer to perform FEA to reduce weight and verify design, so the CAD packages I use are somewhat more expensive than basic geometry generation packages. At the beginning of the millennium I acquired - at my own personal expense - SolidWorks Professional that included some of the FEA capabilities that I needed. In 2013 I decided that I only wanted (not needed) upgrades of the software - not the expensive and dubious technical support provided by DS. At that time I only used the technical support about 3-5 times per year, if at all. Since DS does not supply an "upgrades-only" service, I stopped my support subscription and made do with SW 2013 for my professional work. The EAA educational edition was great for my private projects and ideas. I willingly "paid the price" of supporting the EAA user community on this forum.

Now, with this dramatic downgraded anticlimax called 3DExperience, I feel the time has come for a change. For me personally it's a slap in the face. In addition to this "laggy cloud based program", my proprietary ideas are going to be locked on DS's cloud storage and my access to them will be dependant upon my paying an annual subscription and a commitment to using SW ad infinitum. Not for me.

IMHO mobile phones today are as powerful and as good as desktop workstations of yesteryear, and it's only a matter of time (and not too much time) before there'll be viable mobile phone CAD packages available. And nobody - absolutely nobody - is going to pay thousands of dollars for a Google Play App. This I believe is the motivation behind 3DExperience - to hold us ransome to our data and/or access to it.

Please don't misunderstand me - I'm prepared to pay for good CAD software, just like I'm prepared to pay for a good cell phone and Wikipedia. In this modern age CAD software (like a cell phone) is an essential tool for a practicing engineer. Show me the individual engineer (or any technically oriented individual for that matter) who is not prepared to pay $100 (say) per year for his/her CAD system on his/her phone for his/her personal and/or educational use. But, he/she must be able to freely share data with others and/or keep it secret from others.

3DExperience does not meet any of these criteria. IMHO FreeCAD is well on the way to doing so. I'm learning FreeCAD right now and when I start using it more productively I will gladly donate $100 or more per year for its development. It's a bit cranky from the interface point of view and it certainly doesn't have a huge user base, but it already has FEA capability as well as other "workbenches" on the way, including CFD. The very fact that it's open source means that it already has many other workbenches and the developers are open to constructive criticism and suggestions. The EAA community by its nature is not afraid to build their own airplanes, so "taking a chance" on learning and using FreeCAD should be trivial by comparison.

No "accept a favour, incur an obligation."

Jeffrey

JWF
09-28-2021, 02:49 PM
Has anyone installed the 3dExperience version? if so, does it have the 'model based definition' module included? Also, can you save the parts created to a local drive as sldprt files?

gwbruce
10-01-2021, 08:59 AM
I have been wondering the same thing. All I can find on the internet are just the canned YouTube videos for it. I would like to see some actual user reviews on this. Is it worth it or should I start looking for something else. Not real fond of the cloud storage thing. it would be nice if I could store my files local. Also I read that you can't open these files up in anything else like standard Solidworks. Anyone else heard that?

Seppo
10-08-2021, 12:39 PM
I started using CAD in 1987 with Strim 100. Last 20+ years I have used Catia V4 and V5 before retiring this year. I also made the CSWP.

DS offers also different packages to individual students, but it is difficult to say what they really offer. https://edu.3ds.com/en/backtoschool

I like how easy the FEA with assemblies is with Solidworks. It is much easier to use than Ansys, though less versatile. FreeCAD seems to lack this feature.

I have used the free Solid Edge 2D for making electric schematic drawings for the vintage aircraft we have restored. It is a very good and easy to use software for that purpose even if the free version doesn't save high quality jpegs to use in POH. https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/plmapp/education/solid-edge/en_us/free-software/free-2d-cad
(https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/plmapp/education/solid-edge/en_us/free-software/free-2d-cad)
Solid Edge seems to offer free educational and community versions of their 3D CAD too. I think I will test them before 3Dexperience. https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/plmapp/education/solid-edge/en_us/free-software/community

steve
10-08-2021, 07:48 PM
Siemens also offers a 60 day trial version of their flagship CADCAM product, NX, aka Unigraphics.

gwbruce
10-13-2021, 12:31 PM
So does anyone have anything they report on the new 3dExperience for makers? Still wanting to see some reviews from actual users. What I can find out so far it no one likes it.

actruck
10-14-2021, 04:51 AM
I use SolidWorks for our office and had a chance to speak with our VAR yesterday about the 3D Experience SolidWorks. He actually walked me thru him creating a part and saving locally. I'll have to say, the speed seemed as fast as my desktop SolidWorks. He explained that while some of the features were in the cloud, the SolidWorks desktop is installed locally with the "Premium" version found in the "3D Maker" offering. You have the option of saving to the cloud or locally during your "File Save as". You can use it on any pc as your login is stored in the cloud. He also said there are features in the Desktop SolidWorks that are not in the 3D Experience due to cost, one of them being "CAM". He said 3D Experience isn't able to handle "Add-In's" which is another reason CAM isn't available.

The major drawback for me is the ability to go between my office SolidWorks and the 3D Experience. He said I could create a part in my office software and open it in 3D Experience but once the file was saved in 3D Experience, you would not be able to open it in a commercially licensed SolidWorks so that rules out me being able to do parts for work and home on the same software. He said importing a file from 3D Experience to another cad package shouldn't be a problem. DS is just looking out for their financial stability and didn't want people buying the cheaper version and mixing seats with the full blown version. The VAR said he's been using it for roughly 2 years and he can see vast improvements.

I personally will wait a bit to renew my membership and buy the 3D Experience software. I think it has a long way to go if it ever gets there to be as user friendly as the desktop SolidWorks. The sad thing is, this will hurt EAA with new and membership renewals.

Vandellyn
10-15-2021, 10:06 PM
This is bad, really bad for me. I retired in 2019 after many years in product design, used many different CAD programs - Xerox Expert in the mid 80s, Pro E in the 90s, Solidworks from 2000 onwards. I found out about the 'free' S/W version from EAA and have been using it for numerous projects, but they cannot be made public or hang out on the web. Too much intellectual property at stake. I've got too many assemblies, subassemblies and parts to store in the cloud on someone's server I have no control over. Not going to happen.

I'd like to stick with S/W but now I'll have to look at Alibre or Onshape, but they have their limitations too. Over 20 years invested in S/W and now they do this. Just awful, truly awful. Goodbye S/W.

gwbruce
10-18-2021, 08:26 AM
Well, I pulled the trigger on Alibre Design Expert over the weekend. I had been doing the trial version for a couple of weeks. In my day job I use Solidworks everyday doing tooling design so the EAA setup was great for me. I also do design work for myself and my own wood working projects and such. So I didn't have to learn another software package. I like Onshape but not the free public idea and can't afford the get a subscription. Not real fond of the whole cloud thing either. Alibre will do everything I need even if it is in a different way than Solidworks. It is close enough that I can manage and I own it and can save local, also I don't have to rely on an internet connection to do anything. For the power it is really affordable.

ripley98
10-18-2021, 08:28 AM
I just started using it, but fusion 360 seems to be quite nice. For the average person, it appears it will be just as intuitive as solidworks.

jridge16
10-18-2021, 10:13 PM
Well, I pulled the trigger on Alibre Design Expert over the weekend....

What was the price? $1450 as shown on their website?

gwbruce
10-19-2021, 07:13 AM
What was the price? $1450 as shown on their website?

Yes. I went ahead and got the one year maintenance too. The total was $1800.00. I know it is a lot but I am not tied to the cloud for any of it and don't have to worry about where or who has my files.

ripley98: I have used Fusion 360 and like it but when they cut you back to only 10 open files I kind of got turned off. That really wasn't going to hinder me but it is another of the cloud based packages and to subscribe to it was cost prohibitive for me. It has a few quirks that bothered me too but it is a nice software.

rwanttaja
10-19-2021, 09:39 AM
Yes. I went ahead and got the one year maintenance too. The total was $1800.00. I know it is a lot but I am not tied to the cloud for any of it and don't have to worry about where or who has my files.
Folks should note that this is the "Design Expert" version of Alibre, which supports CAM features. The "Atom 3d" version is $150, and generates files compatible with my 3D printer.

Ron Wanttaja

gwbruce
10-19-2021, 12:02 PM
Folks should note that this is the "Design Expert" version of Alibre, which supports CAM features. The "Atom 3d" version is $150, and generates files compatible with my 3D printer.

Ron Wanttaja

Ron you are correct. I did the trial of the Atom3d and found it to be very easy to use. Originally I was going to get the Atom3d version but after using it I decided to do a trial of the Design Expert version. I liked it so much I just went ahead and purchased the Expert. I should have made that a little more clear. If someone doesn't need all of the features of the Professional or Expert editions the Atom3d version is very nice.

rwanttaja
10-19-2021, 12:45 PM
Ron you are correct. I did the trial of the Atom3d and found it to be very easy to use. Originally I was going to get the Atom3d version but after using it I decided to do a trial of the Design Expert version. I liked it so much I just went ahead and purchased the Expert. I should have made that a little more clear. If someone doesn't need all of the features of the Professional or Expert editions the Atom3d version is very nice.

Oh, not a problem. Had just paid the $150 for Atom 3D, and it took me a moment to note that you were referring to the Design Expert version. Wasn't sure if others would realize the difference.

Can you give us an idea of what the Design Expert version provides that isn't in the 3D version us commoners buy? :-)

Ron Wanttaja

gwbruce
10-20-2021, 02:31 PM
Oh, not a problem. Had just paid the $150 for Atom 3D, and it took me a moment to note that you were referring to the Design Expert version. Wasn't sure if others would realize the difference.

Can you give us an idea of what the Design Expert version provides that isn't in the 3D version us commoners buy? :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Ron I'll try. There are the common things that you can find in the "compare" on the Alibre website. Expert has sheet metal and the global variable capability. I can't remember if Atom3d has BOM in the drawing or not. One of the big things for me was the hole feature. In the sketch mode I can use the hole feature and put holes in with the c'bore or counter sink and assign it a thread. Then when I do a drawing and dimension the hole it pulls in the thread, the depth and c'bore info all at once. I do a lot of stuff that has bolt patterns and stuff like that so that is handy for me. There a few more sketch features in expert that aren't in Atom3d but right off the top of my head I can't remember what they are. I am currently at work and don't have access to Alibre. I did the trial of Atom3d and liked it very much. It was just that Expert was closer to Solidworks which I use everyday at work so it seemed to kind of meet my needs a little more. It was probably overkill for what I really need but I was in a position to be able to afford it so I just went for it. If I hadn't been in the position I was in I would have purchased Atom3d with no hesitation. Not sure if that answered your question or not. Once I get home I'll get on the computer and open Alibre and see if I missed anything.

Gary

greentips
10-22-2021, 06:46 AM
As far as "...the usual combinations of sketches, extrusions, etc." is concerned, this is an issue of expectations. There exist international standard cross-platform translators - IGES, STEP, ParaSolid, etc. - that translate basically only the final geometry without the engineering intent and history of how you built the geometry. The history protocol does not exist in any of these translators. SolidWorks, Alibre, FreeCAD, and Blender are not exceptions. Furthermore, the intimate connection between part files and drawing files, as well as mates in assemblies also get lost in the transfer.

That's the bad news.

Good news: I've been trying FreeCAD and I find that STEP files go across just fine, although the modeling interface takes a little getting used to. The program also includes FEM/A modules that I want to use. Obviously it isn't as mature as SolidWorks, it certainly doesn't have a massive user base, but equally obviously the developers are doing a pretty good job coming up with regular fixes and improvements. It seems to me that FreeCAD is engineering software developed by engineers for engineers. IMHO this is definitely a viable alternative to SW.

Jeffrey
Jeffrey,

This has been my experience too. I came from FreeCAD originally (OSX/LINUX) versions and have been using it since 0.14. My EAA geek buddies/engineers convinced me to switch to SW about 6 months ago for a panel re-design. It worked, but I haven't invested the time to really get to know SW. FreeCad has worked well in other research designs, but has fallen short of some of the SW widget creation. It is improving rapidly. I use it for creating the MESH I need to drive my 3d printer and for exchanging my drawings with the "professionals." What I really like about FC is I can write a few lines of Python code to get parametric modeling/drawing of complex curved surfaces. Never did learn how to do that with SW so I brute forced the curves. But, then, I'm not a professional draftsman.

I just got through buying a Win10 PC to run SW and ran into the new version. Glad I checked here before spending even more money. I do have other uses for the PC so it's not a complete waste. I ran SW on a very fast but older MacBook PRO using Parallels, but it was a bit slow and clunky as it is a non-native Mac program so I had to use Windows Parallel, another expense. I also ran SW on a Win10 notebook which ran it modestly better, but no so much so that I would bring both the Mac and the Win on trips.

I have re-installed FC on the new workstation and it seems to work pretty well. It is not as mature as SW, but I think it has a lot of potential and I've seen a lot of improvement over the past 7 years or so. I think if given the choice of paying for the limitations of the new SW/cloud or donating an equivalent sum to the FreeCad gnu licensed version, I'll donate to the FreeCad Project. Or maybe a little more since I won't need Parallels to run FreeCad which does run on both platforms.

Does anyone think the EAA might consider setting up an alternative CAD section like they did with SW?

mclade01
10-30-2021, 11:18 PM
My license expires in January. Can I still take the CSWP?

JayP
11-04-2021, 10:13 PM
I agree that this is incredibly unfortunate. Besides Fusion360, have you guys tried out SolidEdge? There is a Community Version (free) for Hobbyists that might help out.

Eric Page
11-08-2021, 10:22 AM
WEBINAR: Special SOLIDWORKS Offer For EAA Members
Tue, Nov. 23, 2021, from 7 - 8:30 p.m. CST

Presenters: Brian Hillner and John Martorano III

SOLIDWORKS is a world-class design tool leveraged by countless manufacturers and suppliers within the aviation industry. A new offer is available for EAA members, which includes 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS and the new pure-cloud 3D modeling tools. Design on a Mac, tablet or smartphone — whenever and wherever inspiration hits. Excited to hear more about this special offer? Join two SOLIDWORKS experts Brian HILLNER and John MARTORANO III as they explore this new offer and give a LIVE design demo, using only the new cloud tools! Qualifies for FAA WINGS and AMT credit.

REGISTRATION LINK (https://pages.eaa.org/WBN2021-11-23SpecialSOLIDWORKSOfferforEAAMembers_LP-Registration.html)

CADdy
11-16-2021, 03:13 PM
Hi Eric,

cloud and no CAM anymore - two exclusion criteria!

CADdy
11-16-2021, 03:16 PM
SolidWorks (Dassault) works in the meantime just like e.g. Fusion360 (Autodesk). We hobby designers, aircraft builders, private users are lured with a very good CAD system and super conditions. We rely on the promises and work our way into the system. Yes and suddenly the reins are tightened, substantial restrictions, no private data on the own PC (SW), extreme restrictions in CAM (F360) or no CAM at all (SW). But running costs for the general use of the CAD system.

But in return, fuzzy promises from the manufacturers or their lobbyists. I for my part have decided in any case. Away from SolidWorks, away from Fusion360. I already spend more than enough money on my machines. I also want to get something back from my hobby and not feed the CAD industry in their greedy way. Get the money from those who work professionally with CAD and earn money with it, but not from us hobby designers. I had expected more from the EAA. However, the EAA treats this topic very half-heartedly to not interested. Too bad, I would have hoped for a little more commitment.

I will now deal with FreeCAD. A free system, which can be used very professionally, runs stable and has earned the support of the community. Everything I need for my airplanes is there: Professional 3D CAD and CAM, united in a living and constantly improving system that is not tied to just one operating system.

Peter

Jeffrey Meyer
11-16-2021, 04:04 PM
Hi Peter,

Words cast in rock:(

To some extent I feel insulted by the situation, having spent no small effort and time supporting the EAA & hobby users of SW for nearly a decade. And in return receiving this slap in the face.

Let's change the name of this EAA forum topic from SOLIDWORKS to FREECAD.
Follow me - I'm right behind you;)

Jeffrey

jridge16
11-16-2021, 10:33 PM
Start a NEW thread on FreeCAD help....

rwanttaja
11-17-2021, 05:37 PM
Start a NEW thread on FreeCAD help....

Actually, the Powers What Be should add a new subgroup under "General Topics" called "CAD/CAM". Stick the current Solidworks structure under it in its own folder, and create new folders for FreeCAD, Alibre, etc.

Ron

aeberbach
11-23-2021, 05:51 PM
I'm registered to have a look at the EAA Solidworks webinar shortly. Last chance before I forget about it for good. I'm not hopeful that anything substantive will change but even Fusion360 handles cloud better than this debacle.

DonR62
11-23-2021, 06:40 PM
Anyone know if the webinar will be recorded for later viewing?

aeberbach
11-23-2021, 07:59 PM
Sounds like nothing changed they are just spruiking the new offer introduced in August. And carefully avoiding any questions about why we are now stuck with a cloud version that is significantly worse than what we had.

rwanttaja
11-23-2021, 09:15 PM
Anyone know if the webinar will be recorded for later viewing?

It will, but you'll have to download new Dassault Systemes-proprietary viewer software and pay $25 a month for them to store your video on their servers. :-)

Ron "Get used to it" Wanttaja

MB107
12-01-2021, 04:51 PM
This is extremely disappointing but not unexpected. Since I retired, I have had no access to Cad software. I am a former Catia user from the Aerospace industry. I was hoping to incorporate sometime next year and was considering the $4000 purchase of the basic Solidworks system when I did. But one of the things I was mostly concerned about was all the cad companies going to subscription service eventually, probably even Catia. The concept of your license expiring and you cant even access you legacy files is really concerning. I have now had this system going for 1 year and its due to expire within a month. In that 1 year it has been very difficult making the change from Catia to Solidworks, so I'm hardly up to speed. I have never seen an actual price on Catia, but it is a far better system, much faster and less resource hungry. That kind of surprised me. But it's probably well over 2 times the price and has about 25 to 50 add on modules that don't come free. My main concern is that if I purchase the professional stand alone version of Solidworks is that also going to become a subscription only service. So the decision I have to make is do I purchase a stand alone version of Solidworks now while its still available or do I bite the bullet and try to purchase a stand alone version of Catia now if its remotely possible. Problem is Solidworks appears to be a work in progress where as Catia is fully matured and I really haven't seen any significant changes to it of the last 10 years. Catia will work on an entire jet aircraft with the same dexterity as Solidworks handles a ball point pen.

MB107
12-01-2021, 05:01 PM

My Solidworks computer has nothing but Solidworks on it. Very rarely is it connected to the internet for security reasons. Right now I am typing this message on a computer that is sitting besides my Solidworks computer. The cloud breaks that security. It sounds like it is about to become a FreeCad or Alibre computer very shortly.

Jeffrey Meyer
12-09-2021, 09:28 AM
...... Problem is Solidworks appears to be a work in progress where as Catia is fully matured and I really haven't seen any significant changes to it of the last 10 years. Catia will work on an entire jet aircraft with the same dexterity as Solidworks handles a ball point pen.

A million times I've said don't exaggerate!

FreeCad seems to have great potential - I started learning it back in August - Version 19 - and today I downloaded Version 20. Haven't looked into it yet, but it's clearly evolving rapidly, and as its name implies it's somewhat less expensive;) than both Solidworks and Catia. Also, I seriously doubt the developers will hold us hostage to our data like Solidworks.

Aviatrexx
12-11-2021, 12:44 PM
I just received an email from Dassault Systemes with 'Subject: Feedback on cloud-based engineering software survey'. It took five minutes to fill out the Survey Monkey questionnaire with the reasons for my contempt for cloud-based CAD software. The last question was "Is there anything else you would like to tell us?", to which I replied "Actively researching non-cloud-based CAD software alternatives."

I'm not sanguine that it will make any difference to DS marketing plans, but if you receive such an invitation, please take the time to fill it out.

MarkG
12-12-2021, 02:53 PM
I eventually went for Alibre Workshop in the Black Friday sale. It seems to do everything that I know I'll need to do, and since the CAM software is separate I can always upgrade to one of the more expensive versions if I do need other features.

No interest in 'cloud' or 'subscription' software.

rkirk77
12-13-2021, 01:17 PM
I have a solution for you guys.

https://www.solidworks.com/product/students

You can get it for $100 if you click on the "Solidworks Student Edition" on the left side of the bottom page.

aeberbach
12-19-2021, 05:09 PM
I tried Alibre and FreeCAD and even back to Fusion360 but I couldn't like them, especially not after spending so many hours learning this software. I'm still angry at this company for making startup and save operations 100x slower than they need to be, and hating them for the forced updates/internet connection/mysterious pauses - none of which happened with the educational version. But I'm back to using Solidworks.

Kim
01-01-2022, 02:59 PM
I have a solution for you guys.

https://www.solidworks.com/product/students

You can get it for $100 if you click on the "Solidworks Student Edition" on the left side of the bottom page.

Have you gone this route? I started the process, but it was asking what school I was attending.

aftCG
01-03-2022, 01:26 PM
Have you gone this route? I started the process, but it was asking what school I was attending.

Put in anything you want, it doesn't care. I've successfully installed it already and happy to have the desktop version.

rwanttaja
01-03-2022, 02:29 PM

Enter "Colorado School of Mimes" and refuse to say anything if they ask.

Ron "Walking against the wind" Wanttaja

SolidWrecks
01-15-2022, 11:33 AM
I literally became an EAA member for the SolodWorks that came with it a few months ago... So much for renewing my membership.

I have a C150 that's certified and have ambitions of making a kit plane some day. The only value I got out of the membership is the SolidWorks (Primary benefit) and helping the lobbyists (a secondary benefit)

pogcarr
01-26-2022, 02:47 PM
I literally became an EAA member for the SolodWorks that came with it a few months ago... So much for renewing my membership.

I have a C150 that's certified and have ambitions of making a kit plane some day. The only value I got out of the membership is the SolidWorks (Primary benefit) and helping the lobbyists (a secondary benefit)

I kind of second this sentiment. Access to Solidworks was a big part of why I was a member of EAA. I think that EAA has done us a bit of a disservice by not pushing back hard on this change. They have the unified voice of their members but it doesn't seem that they said or did anything about Solidworks arbitrarily making this change. :-(

rwanttaja
01-27-2022, 02:26 AM
I kind of second this sentiment. Access to Solidworks was a big part of why I was a member of EAA. I think that EAA has done us a bit of a disservice by not pushing back hard on this change. They have the unified voice of their members but it doesn't seem that they said or did anything about Solidworks arbitrarily making this change. :-(
I don't blame EAA for this situation. Somebody, at some point, got Dassault to approve EAA as an educational user.

However, remember what Dassault's goal is: They want to sell FULL versions of Solidworks....IIRC, a full seat is on the order of $10,000. Giving a college student an educational version makes economic sense... if companies find recent graduates are already Solidworks-experienced, they're more likely to buy the software for their companies.

However, this transition doesn't happen for the vast majority of EAA members. Dassault's program with EAA led to few, if any, purchases of the full package. Certainly, from the company's economic point of view, they didn't get any benefit out of it.

I think it it were BOEING's CAD program, or Lockheed's, the situation would be different. Boeing, especially, supports EAA already. But Dassault is a European concern, and company brass probably aren't that familiar with EAA. Dassault is a ~$550M company...kind of dwarfs EAA.

The problem at this point, is that if Dassault relents and give the same access again, are we just setting ourselves up for ANOTHER "Charlie Brown, Lucy, and the Football" situation? I went through the angst to find another package and learn how to use it. Am I going to want to switch back to Solidworks, when there's the possibility the access can be pulled again?

Ron Wanttaja

Seppo
01-28-2022, 05:58 AM
I can understand Solidworks. I think the original idea was that EAA members could use Solidworks in their experimental aircraft projects, not that you get free Solidworks by paying EAA dues. Unfortunately Solidworks is now offering us the wrong product.

Was the post removed, that we could get the student edition instead?

Eric Page
01-28-2022, 11:25 AM
Wow. Yes, Cory's recent posts and all related replies have been disappeared.

jridge16
01-28-2022, 11:42 PM
Why were those posts removed?

rwanttaja
01-29-2022, 12:06 AM
Why were those posts removed?
Probably turned out that Cory’s report was wrong. The number of people who had already read it was probably pretty low.

Ron Wanttaja

aftCG
01-31-2022, 12:35 PM
Well as Rkirk said in post #82, you can still get the student version for $100 and leave the EAA out of it. Given what I've read about the cloud based version I was happy to skip that 3D experience.

Trell Hall
02-13-2022, 08:46 PM
If I have to learn new 3D software, because 3D Experience is not the same as Solidworks, I will jump over the Fusion 360 where it is FREE and I can program my CNC mill from Fusion 360. I don't even have to join a club or anything. Why would we pay for a different software than what was promised to us.
The Solidworks software was one of the reasons why my wife bought me 3 years of EAA.
I have been using Fusion 360 for about 2 months ( ever since I lost Solidworks) and have to say it is very easy to use.
Just my two cents which I am sure no one from the EAA cares.

Hstaton
02-15-2022, 07:43 AM
Just went to the download page for the student edition, and it is $100 PER YEAR. Subscription again. Not gonna play. Freecad and/or Fusion360 free version for me.

Drake Firebreed
02-18-2022, 03:03 PM
It's always been that way. I can't believe people are complaining about $100 edu SOLIDWORKS. You get a year of a $8,000 program for $100 that's a steal. Yea it sucks we lost full premium but edu edition is what I used for years back in college and it's still good enough for cad design. No simulation but Ansys and openfoam are options for that.

I pay for FreeCAD because I believe in it. Did you know each of the devs only make around $400 a month off of it? That's insane! If you really don't want to pay $100 for SOLIDWORKS and you use FreeCAD I hope you will atleast donate it to them. They could really use it.

Jeffrey Meyer
02-19-2022, 11:10 AM
It's always been that way. I can't believe people are complaining about $100 edu SOLIDWORKS. You get a year of a $8,000 program for $100 that's a steal. Yea it sucks we lost full premium but edu edition is what I used for years back in college and it's still good enough for cad design. No simulation but Ansys and openfoam are options for that.

With all due respect Drake, you're comparing apples to watermelons - It's illegal to use your $100 edu SW for commercial product development, and when/if you want use your personal IP that you developed in edu SW you can't simply buy the $8000 edition and transfer the files, because they are watermarked as having been developed in edu SW.
And as far as Ansys is concerned, you can't compare Ansys to SW Simulation either - Ansys is in a different league, in both price and capability.

I pay for FreeCAD because I believe in it. Did you know each of the devs only make around $400 a month off of it? That's insane! If you really don't want to pay $100 for SOLIDWORKS and you use FreeCAD I hope you will atleast donate it to them. They could really use it.

Words of wisdom - FreeCAD is not as polished as SW and it takes some getting used to, but you can use it commercially, in which case I endorse your philosophy of supporting the developers.

Meagan Magnin
02-24-2022, 12:45 PM
I just wanted to chime in and give an update to our members. My name is Meagan Magnin and I am the Membership Development Manager at EAA. The Solidworks benefit is one of the many benefits that I manage. I want to thank everyone for their feedback on the change to 3D Experience last August by Solidworks. We are listening, and we really do want to find a solution that will work for our members. I am in contact with Dassault and we are looking at options to improve the current benefit. I don’t have any announcements at this time, but we will be communicating any changes as soon as they happen. If you have a question or concern, feel free to email me at mmagnin@eaa.org. Again, thank you all for sticking in there with us while we navigate these changes.

Eric Page
02-24-2022, 02:01 PM
Meagan, as the OP on this thread I'd like to thank you for joining the conversation, and for taking member concerns about this SOLIDWORKS debacle seriously. I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say that we're hopeful you can come up with something that's much closer to the access we enjoyed before these changes.

While I don't share the cut-throat attitude of the members who have declared their intent to leave EAA over the loss of desktop SOLIDWORKS, I think it's indicative of the level of frustration here. After hearing privately that EAA leadership didn't see the value in SOLIDWORKS and had dismissed a staffer who was providing members assistance with installing and using it, I'm heartened to see that someone at EAA HQ has been given responsibility for it.

Once again, thank you.

Carma
04-08-2022, 02:20 PM
I am using the new cloud version and have no trouble using my old files.

Carma
04-08-2022, 02:21 PM
You can save to your PC and do not have to save to the cloud.