PDA

View Full Version : Lapel Pin and 'The Coffin'

JustinH
07-20-2021, 02:39 PM
First of all sorry about the weird title, LOL. I've been searching for a 2012 Airventure Lapel pin to complete my collection since I've been going since 1994. So far eBay has not produced one, so I'm seeing if anyone on here has one they'd be willing to part with, I'd be happy to pay $20 bucks for it, maybe even meet up with the owner at Airventure next week to do the exchange. Just a shot in the dark.

The Coffin, so I heard about this rumor the first year my wife (then girlfriend) and I camped in Camp Scholler back in 2015. Supposedly there's a coffin filled with beer somewhere in the campground where you can grab a few out of the coffin, only if you provide a six pack of decent beer to add. Anyone else heard of this? If so, where is it?

Getting so excited to get back up there next week, my wife and I will be pulling in on Wednesday morning and staying through Sunday, even my 3 year old is coming up for the day Saturday (we'll see how that goes). The other day my wife said it's starting to get "Oshkoshy" around where we live (Franklin just outside Milwaukee) because it seems like there's a lot more airplanes flying around lately, she won't admit it, but I know she's getting excited too.

Only a few more days!

deftone
07-20-2021, 06:37 PM
The Coffin, so I heard about this rumor the first year my wife (then girlfriend) and I camped in Camp Scholler back in 2015. Supposedly there's a coffin filled with beer somewhere in the campground where you can grab a few out of the coffin, only if you provide a six pack of decent beer to add. Anyone else heard of this? If so, where is it?

Its no rumor, those guys are there every year, I believe its a group from the Pilots of America forum? There was a connection to a business too, but I cant really remember. He is usually in Pauls Woods, but with the ever changing layout of Scholler, that might be different now.

JustinH
07-21-2021, 06:04 AM
Its no rumor, those guys are there every year, I believe its a group from the Pilots of America forum? There was a connection to a business too, but I cant really remember. He is usually in Pauls Woods, but with the ever changing layout of Scholler, that might be different now.

Thank you, we'll have to take stroll through there and see if we can find it!

lkorona
07-21-2021, 06:33 AM
I think your talking about this:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/hops-party-needs-a-sponsor.132014/#post-3112506

or this?
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/osh21-jambalaya-chili-party-tuesday.132362/#post-3107341

SteveCostello
07-21-2021, 07:02 AM
I think your talking about this:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/hops-party-needs-a-sponsor.132014/#post-3112506

or this?
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/osh21-jambalaya-chili-party-tuesday.132362/#post-3107341

Those are two other events (I've attended both, and they are a good time, though it sounds like hOPS is on the ropes since Jay has retired... he was looking for a sponsor to take it over, and a few of us are trying to pull at least SOMETHING together).

This mystery Coffin thing I'm not familiar with, but it is distinct from these other events.

robert l
07-21-2021, 12:04 PM
Is this what you're talking about?
https://youtu.be/-tu6-nM6LPw
Bob

tnathan
07-21-2021, 04:40 PM
First of all sorry about the weird title, LOL. I've been searching for a 2012 Airventure Lapel pin to complete my collection since I've been going since 1994. So far eBay has not produced one, so I'm seeing if anyone on here has one they'd be willing to part with, I'd be happy to pay $20 bucks for it, maybe even meet up with the owner at Airventure next week to do the exchange. Just a shot in the dark.

Getting so excited to get back up there next week, my wife and I will be pulling in on Wednesday morning and staying through Sunday, even my 3 year old is coming up for the day Saturday (we'll see how that goes). The other day my wife said it's starting to get "Oshkoshy" around where we live (Franklin just outside Milwaukee) because it seems like there's a lot more airplanes flying around lately, she won't admit it, but I know she's getting excited too.

Only a few more days!

Don’t know bout the coffin, but I lost a 2012 pin too. I have also been looking on eBay but no luck as you mentioned. Wish eaa would stock past years. Since I lost my 2012 I always buy back ups. Would be willing to make a trade if someone out there has a spare 2012 and needs something I have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JustinH
07-22-2021, 06:28 AM
Is this what you're talking about?
https://youtu.be/-tu6-nM6LPw
Bob

That's gotta be it, now just have to locate it, I'm assuming it's in Paul's Woods, hopefully they still have it, that was an old video.

Thanks!

tnathan
07-28-2021, 01:58 PM
I heard some people talking on the tram that said he didn’t show up this year.

BeagleOne
07-28-2021, 08:09 PM
They used to have a discount store in Camp Scholler past the barn store. Lots of pins and patches from former shows. But that closed a few years ago...I heard someone bought all of the old patches but IDK about the pins.

deftone
08-02-2021, 12:20 AM
They used to have a discount store in Camp Scholler past the barn store. Lots of pins and patches from former shows. But that closed a few years ago...I heard someone bought all of the old patches but IDK about the pins.

That building was repurposed into a print shop for EAA. The discount store with old merch was moved to a tent near the aeromart last year. I didnt go up there to see if it was still there this year.

mazdaP5
08-02-2021, 06:16 AM
It was up in the aeromart, they mostly had 2020 merch this year.

tnathan
08-03-2021, 02:14 PM
I was on a tram this year and they guys behind me were talking about the guy with the coffin didn’t show up. I was tickled to know what they were talking about and wondered if the others on the tram who didn’t know were disturbed.

tnathan
08-03-2021, 02:18 PM
Not sure if it would be a worthwhile business, but wonder why eaa doesn’t go back to their vendor and have them produce some previous years buttons. Not sure how many they would sell but I suspect there would be a few of us interested in filling out holes in our collection. They paid the tooling cost and the dies may be sitting on the shelf somewhere. 2012 is the one I am missing lost it at airventure in 2019 even though I super glued the pin back on. Ever since then I buy a few extras every year. Would be happy to make a trade for something extra I have if someone happens to have an extra 2012.