PDA

View Full Version : aircraft camping shower locations

mmorrison123
07-13-2021, 07:38 PM
Is there a map available that shows the locations of the portable trailer showers in the aircraft camping areas (homebuilt and ultralight/vintage in particular)? As I recall in the past, there was one on the south side of homebuilt camping, one south of the ultralight strip, and one up near the vintage hangar, but I can't find a current map the verifies this, or if they have moved.

CHICAGORANDY
07-13-2021, 07:43 PM
The bottom map shows the shower locations -

https://www.eaa.org/-/media/Files/AirVenture/PlanYourTrip/2021/2021-06-22-AirVenture-Visitors-Map-Final.ashx

Auburntsts
07-13-2021, 07:54 PM
It’s not depicted on the map, but for the past 2 years in HBC, they’ve had an additional shower trailer on the far south side of HBC approximately where they have a bike parking icon on the map just to the left of the “ EAA Aviation Gateway Park”.

mmorrison123
07-13-2021, 08:04 PM
I don't believe that the map is accurate. It shows no showers for the entire Vintage/ultralight area but I know in the past there were at least 2 locations there.

Airmutt
07-13-2021, 08:20 PM
The map is not perfect. It has had omissions and other incorrect info over the years. The grounds change from year to year so it’s a tough job to keep up. Consider it a guide vs gospel, you’ll be a lot happier in the long run.:)

FlyingRon
07-13-2021, 08:28 PM
There is a permanent shower building up near the theatre in the woods. There are now the two yellow "smoke jumper" shower trailers adjacent to the Hangar Cafe as in past years. I suspect there will, as in the past, be an additional shower trailer down south of the amphib area (I could have someone check that out for you if you really need to know, we've got people on site already).

mmorrison123
07-13-2021, 08:50 PM
The map is not perfect. It has had omissions and other incorrect info over the years. The grounds change from year to year so it’s a tough job to keep up. Consider it a guide vs gospel, you’ll be a lot happier in the long run.:)

I believe you're answering my question be restating my question. I realize the map is inaccurate, that is the reason for the question in the first place. I have the choice this year of flying into the ultralight strip to camp, or to HBC. There are good and bad to each area, including the location of showers. Knowing the shower locations would be a contributing factor in my decision as to where to camp.

FlyingRon
07-14-2021, 04:33 AM
There was a yellow trailer up on the west end of HBC last show. My spies haven't been up that far this year.

Kyle Boatright
07-14-2021, 04:49 AM
There was a yellow trailer up on the west end of HBC last show. My spies haven't been up that far this year.

The main HBC showers are at the West end beside the pavilion. Two trailers in recent years plus the one Todd mentioned at the South edge of HBC, across the drainage ditch from the "main" HBC parking area.

steve
07-14-2021, 07:57 PM
This vid from last weekend shows the 2 western shower trailers in HBC. Go to the 4:11 mark for the HBC segment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3R7NrEtkzg

mmorrison123
07-15-2021, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've camped in HBC before but I didn't recall the Homebuilders Pavillion. It looks like HBC will have nice showers close to camping so that's likely where I'll be with the Titan. Still not sure about Ultralight/vintage facilities but it doesn't matter.

CHICAGORANDY
07-15-2021, 10:55 PM
FWIW the HBC Pavilion and shower areas are a stop on the new Purple Tram route.

"A new PURPLE Route will run the loop through Homebuilt Aircraft Camping along the airport service road, from Gallatin Ave. near Aviation Gateway Park to the North 40 entrance. This route will operate ONLY during high-demand times (8-11 a.m. and 3-7 p.m.)."

FlyingRon
07-16-2021, 06:15 AM
Purple route seems to be the path the red line took when heading back south last year (which was confusing to a lot of people when it didn't just U-turn at the North 40 like all the other trams). I predict the yellow tram to be about the most useless thing ever. The last time the tram turn-around between B and Scholler was used it was a complete disaster for both the trams and pedestrians.

CHICAGORANDY
07-16-2021, 06:36 AM
You are correct, in 2019 they changed Red on Day 2 to make the 'big loop' on every run. This year I'm 'assuming' the powers-that-be felt that 11-3 was a dead time when very few riders would be present back at HBC. so no Purple then? I dunno, I'm but a lowly tram conductor and I goes where the tractor drags me - lol

skyfixer8
07-16-2021, 07:12 AM
Randy, I predict the yellow will be the training run this year like Green was in past years. New drivers will get to experience heavy foot traffic. My concern will be people jumping off at the old vintage stop as we make the slow corner before Subway stand.

CHICAGORANDY
07-16-2021, 10:36 AM
I'm predicting non-stop tram 'paratroopers' of all ages at that turn. Also, due to the new increased length of Blue? I predict large numbers of 'unhappy' folks at tram stops watching nothing but full trams go by. Losing that terminal by the Hangar Cafe I believe is going to come back and bite us as our savvy guests climb onboard at the new bus/tram terminal for a dandy round-trip slow journey out to past the Ultralights and back, never leaving their seats. But we shall know for certain in 10 days.

skyfixer8
07-16-2021, 12:46 PM
Wishing for the good old days where common sense was the rule there.

rwanttaja
07-16-2021, 02:05 PM
Wishing for the good old days where common sense was the rule there.

Having one-tenth as many people there probably helped....

Ron Wanttaja

steve
07-16-2021, 08:20 PM
The Homebuilder's pavilion was built before the 2017 show. For the 2016 show, the HB pavilion was a big red and white tent canopy in the current pavilion location. Prior to that there were a few small canopies set up along the south edge of HBC and the shower house was a rickety 4 stall trailer. A far step below of what we have now.

FlyingRon
07-17-2021, 05:56 AM
Having one-tenth as many people there probably helped....

It's been quite some time since there was one tenth of the attendance. The show had more attendees back in the 80's. I think it peaked around 1990.