Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Q - ELT requirements for local flights?

Q - ELT requirements for local flights?

Can my 1941 J4A fly this summer without an ELT as long as I stay within 50 (or XX?) miles of the home airport? What are the present FAA ELT requirements? I want to postpone buying one as long as possible until the new 406 MHz units are more popular. Or can used 121.5 MHz be grandfathered into a "new" airplane?

Unless something has changed, you can fly without an ELT if you have a single seat airplane or if you stay within 50 miles of where the aircraft is based. If you don't like those limitations, you're legal if you install a 121.5 ELT. The issue (as you know) is that the satellites are not monitoring that freq, so your 121.5 ELT doesn't have the utility it once did...

I want to postpone buying one as long as possible until the new 406 MHz units are more popular.
    You mean you're waiting until the price comes down? What's your cutoff price? I ask this because I have a friend who is parting out a non-flyable C172 and may still have the transponder to part with. Let me know and I'll see if I can nab it for you. He owes me a favor anyhow....
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Steveinindy - I'm not flying yet - and J4As are a two place aircraft. I expect that the summer will be used for shakedown flights etc. I also have absolutely no electrical system.

THX Steve for the transponder offer though...........

It sounds like the 50 mile rule will work for me - for quite a while. THX Kyle.

Not a problem. I try to look out for my fellow pilots- despite some people on here thinking I'm just here to be a pain in the ***- and the one thing I really dislike is the idea of avoidably being stranded, hurt and unable to go for help after a crash. I wouldn't want to be in that situation myself and I don't like to think about things happening to folks that I wouldn't want to happen to me.

I also have absolutely no electrical system.
    Hmmm...that would be a pickle then. Perhaps a personal locator beacon that transmits in the 406 frequency would be an option?
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by nrpetersen View Post
    Can my 1941 J4A fly this summer without an ELT as long as I stay within 50 (or XX?) miles of the home airport? What are the present FAA ELT requirements? I want to postpone buying one as long as possible until the new 406 MHz units are more popular. Or can used 121.5 MHz be grandfathered into a "new" airplane?
    You can operate without any mileage restriction for 90 days.

Has the airplane ever had an ELT installed? While you can't do a "new installation" TS0 C-91 ELT anymore, if the airplane once had a C-91 ELT you can keep it installed until you want/need something different. I sold two C-91 ELT's on ebay with very active bidding so apparently a lot of C-91 ELT's are getting dataplate refurbs to keep them in operation. Guess some folks don't want a TSO C-91a or TSO C126 ELT for now.

14 CFR 91.207 is the regulation that you should read. It makes no reference to 90 days. It does refer to an ELT not being required for "Aircraft while engaged in training operations conducted entirely withing a 50 nautical mile radius of the airport from which such local flight operations began".

Free advice on Federal regulations on an internet forum has no value when speaking with an FAA inspector. Give the reg a read and see if you fit.

Best of luck,

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    14 CFR 91.207 is the regulation that you should read. It makes no reference to 90 days. It does refer to an ELT not being required for "Aircraft while engaged in training operations conducted entirely withing a 50 nautical mile radius of the airport from which such local flight operations began".

Free advice on Federal regulations on an internet forum has no value when speaking with an FAA inspector. Give the reg a read and see if you fit.
    With a little encouragement, most people can find 90 day relief for an ELT in 91.207(f)(10).
    Last edited by martymayes; 04-20-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    It does refer to an ELT not being required for "Aircraft while engaged in training operations conducted entirely withing a 50 nautical mile radius of the airport from which such local flight operations began".
    This is an important part of this regulation that most people miss or gloss over. Just because you're only flying within 50 miles of home base doens't mean that you don't need an ELT. Only those aircraft that are engaged in training operations are eligible for this exemption. If you're not specifically involved in flight training operations you need an ELT even if you never go more than 50 miles from home.
    Cheers!

Joe

Update - My 1941 J4-A has never had an ELT installed according to the log books so I'm not even eligible for a 121.5 type ELT. It last flew in 1975. For that matter, I have not flown tail dragger for 40 years so I will need a lot of instruction - especially at 73.

But I am trying to delay the hit of a 406 MHz ELT after being hit for a new Marvel $chebler carb, new exhau$t, lite weight $tarter, and both mag$ etc.

THX Guys!