Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Airport Manager and Hangar Rules

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Who's interpretation is that? Where is it written? I'd like to see it.
    Ok, here you go....

"22 Economic Nondiscrimination.
    "c. Each fixed-based operator at the airport shall be subject to the same rates, fees, rentals, and other charges as are uniformly applicable to all other fixed-based operators making the same or similar uses of such airport and utilizing the same or similar facilities." [Someone offering maintenance services for hire at an airport is considered a fixed-based operator and they all must be treated equally. If you require insurance or an office for one, you must require all to have the same.]

"f. It will not exercise or grant any right or privilege which operates to prevent any person, firm, or corporation operating aircraft on the airport from performing any services on its own aircraft with its own employees [including, but not limited to maintenance, repair, and fueling] that it may choose to perform." [This one guarantees you the right to work on your own aircraft. However, if you aren't withholding payroll taxes and providing other benefits to the mechanic, he/she is NOT an employee. He's a freelancer.]

"g. In the event the sponsor itself exercises any of the rights and privileges referred to in this assurance, the services involved will be provided on the same conditions as would apply to the furnishing of such services by commercial aeronautical service providers authorized by the sponsor under these provisions."

"h. The sponsor may establish such reasonable, and not unjustly discriminatory, conditions to be met by all users of the airport as may be necessary for the safe and efficient operation of the airport." [That's a big, wide-open assurance that covers lots of "safety" rules.]

"i. The sponsor may prohibit or limit any given type, kind or class of aeronautical use of the airport if such action is necessary for the safe operation of the airport or necessary to serve the civil aviation needs of the public." [Another one.]

"24. Fee and Rental Structure. It will maintain a fee and rental structure for the facilities and services at the airport which will make the airport as self-sustaining as possible under the circumstances existing at the particular airport, taking into account such factors as the volume of traffic and economy of collection." [You can't give it away and if there's an opportunity to collect a fee, you should.]

"38. Hangar Construction. If the airport owner or operator and a person who owns an aircraft agree that a hangar is to be constructed at the airport for the aircraft at the aircraft owner’s expense, the airport owner or operator will grant to the aircraft owner for the hangar a long term lease that is subject to such terms and conditions on the hangar as the airport owner or operator may impose." [And here's another one that says the airport can control what goes on inside your private hangar.]

See http://www.faa.gov/airports/aip/gran...ances_2012.pdf for all 39 Federal Grant Assurances that airport operators must comply with.
    Last edited by dusterpilot; 05-26-2012 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dusterpilot View Post
    Ok, here you go....
    I am familar with the rules......I was asking about the "interpretations" or opinions. You know what they say about opinions. Some of those "interpretations" won't hold water in a legal arena. BTDT.

I am familar with the rules......I was asking about the "interpretations" or opinions. You know what they say about opinions. Some of those "interpretations" won't hold water in a legal arena. BTDT.
    Sure, but how much money are you willing to spend to find out?
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

I am familar with the rules......I was asking about the "interpretations" or opinions.
    Call the Detroit Airports District Office at 734-229-2900 and they'd be happy to give you both FAA interpretations and their opinions. I deal with the Chicago ADO. For those of you in other areas, your local ADO can be found at http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...ional_offices/. If you have a disagreement with your airport manager, sit down and talk with him. If you can't come to agreement, give the ADO a call and get their opinion. I know of several airport managers who have been told by the FAA that their actions violate their grant assurances and the tenant is correct. Don't hesitate to get that FAA interpretation. That's what their paid for.

Just start your own airport, that will take care of all your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by an erie place View Post
    Just start your own airport, that will take care of all your problems.
    Trust me....I thought about it until I realized how much asphalt and/or concrete would cost for a decent length runway not to mention the lighting. The ability to taxi out of the backside of my home and takeoff for dinner wherever I would like to go is really appealing.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Part of the problem is that some rules or limitations are necessary. Otherwise the airport (ours happens to be a private field owned by the flying club) becomes a depository for unwanted junk, old cars, tires, building materials, furniture, etc. etc.

Our bylaws state that hangars are for the primary storage of aircraft. Not that one can't keep a boat or trailer in there in addition to the aircraft but some folks just don't see junk as junk.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Trust me....I thought about it until I realized how much asphalt and/or concrete would cost for a decent length runway not to mention the lighting. The ability to taxi out of the backside of my home and takeoff for dinner wherever I would like to go is really appealing.
    http://www.flyinhomes.com/browseproperties.html

i own two airport homes, one on FA40 and one on 19AZ. either is for sale, take your pick.

I'd be completely game for owning such a home, but the problem is that we're still both in school so we are more still in the need to rent as there will probably be at two more moves before all is said and done. The one in Arizona would be nice if I wind up at ERAU there in Prescott since it would only be like a 40 minute commute (used to going over an hour each way to and from work). It'd be even quicker to hop it in a plane.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.