Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking of roadable aircraft....

Speaking of roadable aircraft....

Both the Terrafugia Transition AND the Pal-V made their maiden flights recently. For more on the Terrafugia, check out this link: http://www.eaa.org/news/2012/2012-04-02_transition.asp.

For more on the Pal-V, check out the maiden flight in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SgHSaNtAMjs

And here is the Pal-V's website: http://pal-v.com/

Being a bit of a gyro nut, I kind of like the Pal-V design. It looks very promising.

Zack

The Pal-V is a very neat looking design (as opposed to the Terra-fugly-a which is just plain (plane?) ugly) but I can't help wonder how it would stand up in a collision with a "regular" car or G-d forbid an SUV. I think the road safety regulations are going to be the biggest hurdle from a technology standpoint for these sorts of vehicles. The flying part of the design is the "easy" part. The regulations related to car design are going to be a much tougher issue. Anyone who thinks the FAA has restrictive regulations in place needs to take a look at the regulations involved in car design and qualification around the world. We in the experimental community have it pretty sweet.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I'm guessing the Pav-V would more than likely be classified as a flying motorcycle/trike. Far fewer hoops to jump through to license a motorcycle.

Surprised that I haven't seen this Pal-V before. Seems like a very mature design, might even be efficient. What is the country of origin? Also, I might be missing something, but I can't see in the video what happens to the rotor after transforming into "road-mode". Is it simply removed?
    Last edited by tdm; 04-02-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    學而不思則罔,思而不學則殆。

Yeah, but then again, I wonder what the market really is for a high priced vehicle like that. That seems to be one of the major issues on the business side of the equation: those who are true believers in the concept (any concept for that matter) tend to overestimate its appeal to a broader audience or the price that audience is willing to pay.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by tdm View Post
    Surprised that I haven't seen this Pal-V before. Seems like a very mature design, might even be efficient. What is the country of origin? Also, I might be missing something, but I can't see in the video what happens to the rotor after transforming into "road-mode". Is it simply removed?
    The company is located in the Netherlands. Watch the video closely and you'll see that the rotor is hinged and when in "road-mode" is folded upon itself so that it lays on the "fuselage" back towards the tail. You can kind of see a photo of what I'm talking about here: http://pal-v.com/press-media/images/?afg0_page_id=2

This is pretty neat! It isn't going to become the next "big thing", but it may have a market niche. Certainly would appeal to the current gyro market, keep it in your garage and "drive" it to the local airport, I assume it runs on mogas, another plus. I'd buy one if I won the lottery, but that in itself would put a smile on my face!

Joe

I'd buy one if I won the lottery, but that in itself would put a smile on my face!
    If I hit the lottery, I wouldn't limit myself to some odd little contraption. I'd be finding myself the data plate off of a B-17 or B-29 and "restoring" one. Then again, I'd also like to build a replica of either a Bf 110 or Bf109 in the markings of Fighter Group II./JG 77 "Herz As" as I have an ancestor who flew both aircraft with that particular unit during WWII.
    Last edited by steveinindy; 04-02-2012 at 02:30 PM.

That's hot!

Steve,

I like your thinking! I buy lottery tickets for the entertainment value provided. When the mega millions goes ballistic you can really dream big, here in Ohio we have "Classic Lotto" with better odds, ( 1 in 14 million) and smaller jackpots but even with only a meager $6.5 million it would get a nice hanger and "several" new toys. The state uses it's "take" for additional school funding, so when I lose, and I always do, I don't feel too bad. It is fun to dream big, i think we have had several threads on that subject.

Joe