Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camping at A/V

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    100% correct. My daughter drives one of them.
    So that IS you! Given what you mentioned earlier I thought you were connected. I rode with her several times this year. You did well raising her.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

If you’re a chapter member and want to camp with so of your chapter buddies; you can contact the Chapter Office and they will stake you out an area as soon as Camp Scholler opens. Just one of the bennies of being a chapter member.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    So that IS you! Given what you mentioned earlier I thought you were connected. I rode with her several times this year. You did well raising her.

Thanks Carl. I like to think I did a pretty good job.

SO, where, or what site # are you on. We've been on 69 since we started going. I even had Jeff pour me concrete pad for my RV (motorhome).

I just submitted our RV reservation and submitted our Sleepy Hollow reservation a couple of days ago. Pam acknowledged receipt so hopefully we're in. If we are we should be around site 47 with a group of regulars that we have joined. We should plan a "Forum" meetup at some point.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    I just submitted our RV reservation and submitted our Sleepy Hollow reservation a couple of days ago. Pam acknowledged receipt so hopefully we're in. If we are we should be around site 47 with a group of regulars that we have joined. We should plan a "Forum" meetup at some point.

Forum meet up would be fun.
    If you like, I'll see if Jeff or Pam would accommodate us in the bar one evening. I go a week early and help them get the CG "set up".

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    If you’re a chapter member and want to camp with so of your chapter buddies; you can contact the Chapter Office and they will stake you out an area as soon as Camp Scholler opens. Just one of the bennies of being a chapter member.
    Sadly Airmutt, our chapter disbanded several years ago, just not enough intrest, we only had about 12 members and if 8 showed up at a meeting, we considered that good. All the other chapters are too far to be comfortable getting to. So I just get together with some folks that like flying as much and more than I do. Actually, we see each other more often than the EAA meetings we once had but no one is willing to make the commitment because it's a drive for each of us. Nothing is local for us. Wheather I rent a 150 or a 172 it's a 60 plus mile round trip. Sometimes we all go out to lunch and it's fun hanging around the airport for a couple of hours so it's still good.
    Bob

Your question deserves its own FAQ on these Forums Bob, and the answers are as diverse as the folks attending. However, it's like asking "What kind of aircraft should I buy?" All it does is engender more questions back at'cha.

You've done a pretty good job of telling us what you've done in the past, but the important questions have to do with how much priority you place on which aspects of your Airventure experience:
    • Do you camp because
      • you enjoy camping per se,
      • it's the only way you can get close to the field
      • you are in a large group
      • it the only affordable option
      • other?

• Do you want to maximize your time on the field, or is walking a few miles laden with packs and purchases, waiting on buses and trams, sitting in traffic, in all kinds of weather from brutal heat to drenching thunderstorms just part of the Airventure experience?
    • How important is proximity to bathrooms, water, electricity, food, beer, wi-fi, flightline, stores, and other amenities?
    • How important is it to not be two sheets of fabric from your neighbors (whose CPAP gives out before you get to sleep)?
    • How do your traveling companions answer those questions?

Any answer is an exercise in multivariate analysis. We've had college kids from Europe show up with little more than the clothes on their backs (and Snowbird pilots with only a Tudor and a RON kit) to executives and movie stars in their choppers and jets and well-heeled friends in high places.

I've attended Oshkosh/Airventure every year since 1987. Early on, I stayed in the non-airconditioned UW dorms but found the shuttle bus inconvenient and its schedule too limited. One year, my wife and I showed up late and met a newly-wed couple that took pity on us, gave us their bedroom, and slept on a sofabed in their basement. Every other year, we camped on the field, usually under the wing. For the last twenty years, we've pitched our tent in the Vintage Flightline Volunteer compound next to our planes. (Flying Ron is our next-door neighbor.) It helps when you show up a week before the show, but you'll get put to work. ;-)

With all that preamble, here is my latest suggestion for Airventure accommodations:

Last year, ten days before the show, a member of my Chapter (and furniture craftsman) asked me about Airventure lodging. His wife had decided she wanted to visit her sister in northwest Wisconsin, so they were driving up there and would have a couple of days to take in Airventure on the way. They aren't campers (well, she isn't) so he wanted to know if I could find them a hotel room they could afford. From about March onward there's really only one answer to that question, but I told him I'd see what I could do. I found a lady in Ripon who was renting the three-room attic suite of her antique-filled Victorian house for $100/night on AirBnB. In the middle of the week of Airventure! County Road N from Ripon to the Waupun Rd/Knapp St intersection is lightly traveled even during the show, and drops you right at the Rellumdats parking lot and the Ultralight Red Barn gate in less than twenty minutes. Unless you stake out (and pay for) your campsite in June, you can't get to the flightline that quickly from Camp Scholler.

Just one more datapoint for your analysis. YMMV, and all that.

Aviatrexx you’re right.
    There is no absolute answer but you will see trends. The old hands also have learned what works for them and have their “tricks” like rent sharing a storage unit for you camp gear or volunteering as you pointed out. It’s a learning experience over time.

If you get to know the area you’ll find that there are a number of great options for staying off site. The biggest pro is you can get away from the crowd. Go just 10 miles north into Neenah you wouldn’t even know the show was going on. Hotel rates are still elevated though. A couple of great places out west in Omro and Wautoma. I’ve kinda lost track of what’s south of Oshkosh.

The biggest con is parking. Gotta get there EARLY or you’ll get trapped in the back up and be parked out by 41. In the last several years we’ve lost the Red and Orange lots. Losing the Orange lot really hurt as it was direct across from EAB camping. EAA’s policy of closing a lot for the day once filled despite people leaving early doesn’t help either. I think auto parking & camping are huge challenges for EAA and they’re possibly at critical mass.

We have a cabin about 35 miles NW of Oshkosh so I commute. The convenience of staying on the grounds does have its advantages too. But when it rains it’s nice to know I’ll be sleeping in a dry bed!!!
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    SO, where, or what site # are you on. We've been on 69 since we started going. I even had Jeff pour me concrete pad for my RV (motorhome).
    This was our first year. We were in Dock 29. Had to wear flip flops the first several days due to standing water from those Friday/Saturday frog chokers. One friend has been on 28 for a few years, then another friend/neighbor/CFI got 27 2 yrs ago, so we rounded it out this year on 29. Prior 15 years were the dorms so this year was a blast.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    This was our first year. We were in Dock 29. Had to wear flip flops the first several days due to standing water from those Friday/Saturday frog chokers. One friend has been on 28 for a few years, then another friend/neighbor/CFI got 27 2 yrs ago, so we rounded it out this year on 29. Prior 15 years were the dorms so this year was a blast.
    So, are you camping at SHFCG or Scholler?