Thread: New to forum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Ivan:

Thanks for the additional resources - I'll check them out. I appreciate the budget approach, and I suspect ultralight folks mostly share that in common. In fact, I think that's probably a driver for most homebuilders. It certainly is for me. Didn't think of the liability issue, but I'm not an engineer. Curious to see how you design the fuselage - not sure how you're going to avoid making it out of aluminum foil given FAR 103.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Miles View Post
    Hi Ivan:

Thanks for the additional resources - I'll check them out. I appreciate the budget approach, and I suspect ultralight folks mostly share that in common. In fact, I think that's probably a driver for most homebuilders. It certainly is for me. Didn't think of the liability issue, but I'm not an engineer. Curious to see how you design the fuselage - not sure how you're going to avoid making it out of aluminum foil given FAR 103.

Michael
    Well, if you've heard the phrase "Boeing builds 'em better", you probably have a good idea how that will work.

The 737 fuselage has skin panels as thin as 0.040" thick and that holds pressure and contributes to the structural make up of the fuselage. Inside are stringers and frames attached to the skin with tension clips and shear ties.

Methinks if 0.040" thick aluminum works for a 189,000 gross weight craft, probably some 2024-T3 clad foil will do the trick. Most likely 0.016" thick or there about. I will also, more than likely, use some aluminum angle or U channel about 0.050" thick or there about for stringers. I suspect I will end up figuring out how to form some frames with a home made rubber box or bladder press and a pressure washer. My initial thoughts are 0.050" thick on that as well.

Amazingly, it appears most 103 aircraft look like they are "sized for stiffness" and not built optimally for weight. Analysis and trade studies will tell the tale soon enough.

I don't think I will get into sizing for 20,000 flight cycles, except on the critical baseline structure that is difficult to access and repair. I am guessing that, If I can use a semi monocoque design, inspection will be easy and any cracking will be readily apparent so I won't have to do a lot of damage tolerance analysis. Especially if I can design for inherent damage tolerance.

I am open to any good sources of indestructium alloy if anyone has any. Also need plans for a turbo encabulator...the one with twin spurving bearings.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quite a few trouble shooting issues with the Quicksilvers related to hard landings:

http://www.ultralightnews.com/quicks...g-reports.html

I think Ultralights tend to be floaty due to their light weight, and susceptible to even light gusts on landing. It's one of the reasons I'm building a quad rather than a trike after seeing too many wobbly paraglider trike landings. Good aileron authority at stall should help, but light is still easy to blow around. Structural consideration around the landing gear might be important - I'm agonizing over it myself.

You mention inspection. I saw a youtube video about using an inspection camera for aircraft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEHJLXdHSLo

If you build with this in mind, you may gain access to all of your internal areas for inspection.