Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for wooden plane to build that has complete and correct plans

Looking for wooden plane to build that has complete and correct plans

I'd like to build a plane out of wood. Not interested in Hatz or Pietenpol. I need to build from plans which show the correct locations and dimensions and don't leave parts or information out. Is there such a plane? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by flynow View Post
    I'd like to build a plane out of wood. Not interested in Hatz or Pietenpol. I need to build from plans which show the correct locations and dimensions and don't leave parts or information out. Is there such a plane? Thank you.
    Fly Baby, built using the (free) articles from EAA and the free construction guides on the PB100 page....

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/PB100/index.html

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 07-16-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Any of the Fisher or TEAM line. But first you need to define your mission; what do you want to use the plane for?

And fair warning: DOn't expect perfection. Even the best plans are not 100.0% complete and accurate. There is always something the builder will need to figure out. Always.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by flynow View Post

No, there is no such plane
    Last edited by George Sychrovsky; 07-17-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    Disclaimer ; opinions of others will vary depending on what they’re selling.

http://the-grand-design.com/

There are a number of good wood airplane designs out there, but.........
    You need to narrow down your requirements. Like: single place vs two place, tandem vs SBS, open cockpit vs cabin, low wing vs high wing, engine type, aerobatic, cross country machine or just to putt putt around for the fun of it.
    Once you know what you what, re-ask the question. You’ll probably get better responses.
    In my opinion ya can’t go wrong with a FB; it’s a classic.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I guess FB is Fly Baby? I prefer open cockpit, one seat is fine, for the local area. Thanks!

I would echo what Dave Shaw has said. Once you have a definition of exactly what you "want" (or perhaps "need"), you can greatly simplify the selection process. But most important, your preparation will protect you from the mistake I have made. I wanted to build a wooden airplane. I was naive enough to believe that in a 2 seat cross-country aircraft, if fast was good, faster is better. I am now trying to sell my Osprey GP-4 which I bought several years ago from a perfectionist builder. Something wrong with the plane? Nope. The problem is with me. I do not have the experience and skills necessary to fly this airplane - I bit-off more than I could chew. The airplane is too "hot" for this 172 pilot.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this GP-4 is only 70% complete and still needs to be finished.

If you want all wood, not welded steel fuselage and wood wings, your selection is somewhat limited. If you want two seats -- either tandem or side by side -- your selection is reduced even further.

I started out with a specific set of requirements. No welding, all wood. Two seats, even if one is suitable only for smaller people (like kids). Able to haul my fat behind and still have more than a thimblefull of fuel. And I really wanted an open cockpit biplane. just because. And, the biggie: it had to be within Light Sport limits.

The selection criteria narrowed the choices way, way down. I was willing to budge on the all wood part, which would include Airdrome kits, but I didn't like any of their two-seaters. I eventually settled on a Fisher Celebrity. At this rate it may very well become a retirement project, but I've got a big stack of wing ribs at least.

The plans have been, so far, pretty good. As I said, not perfect -- they are plans from the 70s or 80s that have been updated and revised over time, so there are a few areas where you need to be careful to go through and find the changes.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.