Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will your VOR become obsolete

Only if you're below 5000 feet.
    All good for me; once all the Victor Airways between VOR's are gone I can practice acro almost anywhere!

They pronounce the VOR old, decrepit and hard to maintain then turn around in the same sentence and say "we're gonna' keep some of this arcaine crap on ops so we can satisfy our FAR compliance for 2 nav sources".

All this becomes moot if Lightsquared pays off the right (Left?) folks in power...

Kill off the VOR and we're one EMP from a paper sectional...aahhh progress!

Merry Christmas to you and yours Tom!

Chris

Kill off the VOR and we're one EMP from a paper sectional
    Judging by a lot of the comments on this forum, it seems that a lot of folks are still using those (myself included). It wouldn't be such an issue for the low and slow crowd but it would be a major pain in the butt for those who are flying for something beyond a hundred dollar hamburger or to dent the local songbird population.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Judging by a lot of the comments on this forum, it seems that a lot of folks are still using those (myself included). It wouldn't be such an issue for the low and slow crowd but it would be a major pain in the butt for those who are flying for something beyond a hundred dollar hamburger or to dent the local songbird population.
    I hear ya'...
    For longer flights like that you would need something a bit more high-tech.
    Does Aircraft Spruce sell pocket watches and sextants?

Chris

I agree with Steve, I still use the "old" VOR's when I fly cross-countries, even when tracking via GPS. Anything within a 100 miles of the home airport is a "local", and I just look out the windshield at 2000 MSL. There is a lot of resistance to giving up on ground based navigation especially among the "old-timers". That equipment does go down and requires maintenance, it just doesn't need the space shuttle to get the job done. I understand that NDB's are being "de-commissioned" but I won't miss them, haven't turned on the ADF since I got my license!

Joe

What I find curious is we lost an expensive, secret, drone in Iran apparently because the Iranians spoofed the GPS signals. At least that is what the Iranians claim.

Given the number of cell phone towers not counting the commercial TV and radio transmitters, I would prefer a system based upon the largest possible number of independent navigation sources. A smaller number of dedicated sources are more at risk to intentional attack. We have the technology to track cell phone tower and commercial broadcast sources and a microprocessor controlled receiver can easily handle the navigation math.

Bob Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by bwilson4web View Post
    What I find curious is we lost an expensive, secret, drone in Iran apparently because the Iranians spoofed the GPS signals
    which is really why i expect we will have ils and vor for a long time to come. too easy and too cheap to make a gps jammer or spoofer that would make an airline hub start raining aluminum. but that's just my paranoia at work. nothing to see here, move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiperbiper View Post
    Does Aircraft Spruce sell pocket watches and sextants?

Chris
    No, but Edmund Scientific does! You have your choice of two sextant models and a pocket sundial. I didn't see a pocket moondial for night-time flyers listed.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    No, but Edmund Scientific does! You have your choice of two sextant models and a pocket sundial. I didn't see a pocket moondial for night-time flyers listed.
    LOL
    You Sir are a Geek!
    I would have never been able to find that...

Do they have an PMA or STC? WE may need it soon...

Its premature to retire all the VORs under the Next Gen program. Not while the Lightsquare issue is still in play. They are saying that its all our fault. we should have better GPSs and if we don't we should install filters at our expense.
    Loran is gone. So lets hold on to the VORs until the stake is driven through Lightsquares heart. NDBs would be nice too. One of my flying buds says that he used to fly B-57s transcontinental solo with only an ADF.
    Bob