View Poll Results: What are your plans for ADS-B Compliance

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have already installed certified ADS-B Out in my airplane. I'm good to go.

7 21.21%
  • I have not yet installed certified ADS-B Out, but I intend to comply before Jan. 1, 2020.

8 24.24%
  • I have not yet installed certified ADS-B Out, but may consider sometime after Jan. 1, 2020.

9 27.27%
  • I have no intentions -- ever -- of installing certified ADS-B Out in my airplane

9 27.27%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Your plans for ADS-B Out compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Zeitlin View Post
    I don't know what your plane is worth, but this:

http://www.uavionix.com/products/echo-uat/

is only $1K, and works with your existing transponder.
    From their web site: "UAT ADS-B Transceiver for Light Sport and Experimental Aircraft."
    My airplane, a Cessna C-150H, is unfortunately a certified airplane, so the above is not "legal" or "certified," according to the ever-helpful FAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark van Wyk View Post
    My airplane, a Cessna C-150H, is unfortunately a certified airplane...
    Well, there's your problem :-). I feel your pain, although I don't share it, since I fly a COZY MKIV.

Even though I live under a Class B, I don't want it, I don't need it and I will never install it.

I'm taking a wait and see approach, hopefully the price will come down as the UAV makers start mass production of equipment for drones and crossover to certified aircraft occurs.

The sad part (other than the cost) is that ADS-B out does nothing to improve safety for those user only with ADS-B out. ADS-B in with weather is a great tool and will probably kill XM weather.

See the thread on the aerobatics forum. I'll wait until the FAA makes a definitive statement in writing that I won't be harassed every time I go inverted; and that they won't specify more equipment if I do! I would actually like to have it, but...

Edit: No poll response works in this circumstance.

Only $1K, really. Plus a $3K transponder, plus installation, plus testing, maintenance, and what ever FAA requirements are added to the rules in the future. No thanks. I don't currently have a transponder, don't need one, don't require one. Keep your eyes out the window. We are still here and won't show on your "IN".

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Flunkn View Post
    ADS-B in with weather is a great tool and will probably kill XM weather.
    The good thing about ADS-B weather is that it's free. The bad thing is that it's not available on the ground unless you're right next to a transmission source. That's the only real benefit of XM over ADS-B from my viewpoint. But the cost of XM weather is the show-stopper for me. I'm loving my Foreflight for weather, and will continue to use it!
    Cheers!

Joe

Sad

Quote Originally Posted by Morrie Caudill View Post
    Only $1K, really. Plus a $3K transponder, plus installation, plus testing, maintenance, and what ever FAA requirements are added to the rules in the future. No thanks. I don't currently have a transponder, don't need one, don't require one. Keep your eyes out the window. We are still here and won't show on your "IN".
    We equipped when we did an IFR upgrade at the end of 2014. Spent more than I should have, and was rewarded with being ineligible for the rebate. We knew what we were getting, and its limitations (installed OUT, and have a portable IN system giving me what benefits there are now.) But a lot of people still don't understand what they WON'T have, and I'm still waiting for the inevitable midair where the pilot thought all traffic was supposed to be visible.

Glad I have it now, but I would be surprised if your ability to fly without it will remain for long, just for the reason you cite above. The groundswell of folks who'll have misunderstood the limitation on traffic info, and the FAA's desire to do away with ground-based radar will, IMHO, make them remove the exemptions, and everyone will eventually have to get at least ADS-B out. The number of airplanes who'll be without it won't have enough political clout to resist, even with EAA's help.

Once they've seen they can require us to spend a fortune for their convenience, which they've known for a long time, they certainly won't spend precious federal money to fill the gaps with antiquated radar sites they have to build and maintain.

Enjoy the respite while you can. I doubt it will be long before it ends.

Quote Originally Posted by champ driver View Post
    Even though I live under a Class B, I don't want it, I don't need it and I will never install it.
    I don't know the exact rules regarding Class B, particularly in your area, but if Mode C is required where you currently fly, I would think that you would not legally be able to fly without ADS-B Out post-2020. Or, so I understand. If so, you'll either need to move the plane somewhere where it's legal, or you are grounded.
    My plane happens to be parked outside SFO 30-mile Mode C circle, and also outside KSJC Class C, so I actually can get by and fly places without ADS-B Out post-2020, but will need it if I want to fly into those Mode-C-required airports post-2020.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyboyron View Post
    ...Once they've seen they can require us to spend a fortune for their convenience, which they've known for a long time, they certainly won't spend precious federal money to fill the gaps with antiquated radar sites they have to build and maintain....
    As I mentioned previously, I have a certified airplane, a C-150H. What I find particularly frustrating is that supposedly, experimentals and even drones have low-cost solutions available, but certified planes must choose from a handful of high-cost "certified" solutions. My understanding is that there are plenty of lower cost solutions out there, but it would appear to me that the FAA is foot-dragging in "certifying" lower-cost competitors. It sure feels like some collusion and protectionism is going on to protect the Garmins and other manufacturers. The FAA seems in no hurry to encourage plane owners to comply by certifying some low-cost, perfectly good ADS-B Out solutions.
    Last edited by Mark van Wyk; 04-21-2017 at 11:41 AM.

I will equip for OUT if and when I'm not pretty sure there will be something new in six months or a year that will make me regret buying what I bought. We're not there yet. If I had to equip today it would likely be the Stratus ESG - but I don't have to equip today. I'll keep you n with my Mode C transponder and Stratux and accept whatever convenience I get from nearby OUT equipped planes.

it would be nice to have, but I'm not in a big rush.

Oh, and if Champ Driver's Champ doesn't have an engine driven electrical system I don't think he ever has to install ADS-B.
    Last edited by DaleB; 04-21-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.