Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Security at OSH

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lrrryo View Post
    Why? Don't you stand up for rights that our fore fathers gave their lives for? What is the price of freedom and how much are you willing to throw by the wayside? The security checks at OSH (and a lot of other venue are a guise for a different agenda, like revenue or just a show of power. They serve absolutely NO purpose for the betterment of OSH.

I suspect that most of the folks here are too young to remember the freedoms we have lost, and need to be reminded of what it's really worth.

The last thing we need it to jeopardize our aviation freedoms. Stand UP for your rights. It's not a privilege, it's a right.
    So tell us, where exactly off the grid do you reside? Possibly in a log cabin on a little cul de sac next to a vacant cabin in middle Montana. Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    So tell us, where exactly off the grid do you reside? Possibly in a log cabin on a little cul de sac next to a vacant cabin in middle Montana. Just asking.
    Hey now you just described my house......... Lol
    Rick
    P.S. Absolutely no issues with the searches...........

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wyoranch View Post
    Hey now you just described my house......... Lol
    Rick
    P.S. Absolutely no issues with the searches...........
    Sorry Rick, unintended consequences, thanks for seeing the humour. In future I need to follow my own advice to others and not respond to certain comments. I just couldn't resist this time. More discipline needed. If I could quit smoking after 48 years, I can do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Sorry Rick, unintended consequences, thanks for seeing the humour. In future I need to follow my own advice to others and not respond to certain comments. I just couldn't resist this time. More discipline needed. If I could quit smoking after 48 years, I can do this.
    I took it for what it was.... A deliberate attempt to tear me down in order to make yourself feel better..... Ha ha
    no worries
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    There is now a camp store on the grounds as well. Of course, anybody can fly in with a backseat full of booze as well. How do you think the Metro Warbirds and Vintage get their supplies? You can also drive in and drop it off as long as you do so before Sunday.
    There where 4 Red One stores, none on the actual "convention grounds" the area where a wrist band was required to enter.

Just musing a little here, but whenever I see someone spouting about the erosion of this freedom or that freedom and that "they" (whoever "they" are) are taking away the freedoms that others have fought for, I wonder, to paraphrase John Kennedy's inauguration speech, "what have you done for your country?" Do you vote in every election? Do you thank a police officer for taking on a risky job? Have you honorably served in the armed forces? Have you volunteered to help the less fortunate? Have you attended a City Council meeting and expressed your views? Or to keep it aviation oriented, have you volunteered at your local airport, to be a member of the airport board, or to help out when the employees are overwhelmed by snow or other bad weather?

Or instead, have you just complained that "they" aren't getting their jobs done, that "they" aren't enforcing your "rights", that "they" have passed stupid laws, that "they" are impinging on your freedoms? Is your patriotism evidenced only by your flying the American flag from your pickup truck? A big part of good citizenship is participating to help make your country, your state, your county, your city great, not just complaining on social media that it isn't great.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

The majority of Paul Poberezny's Homebuilder Corner columns was him discussing (spouting?) about this or that erosion of freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Just musing a little here, but whenever I see someone spouting about the erosion of this freedom or that freedom and that "they" (whoever "they" are) are taking away the freedoms that others have fought for, I wonder, to paraphrase John Kennedy's inauguration speech, "what have you done for your country?" Do you vote in every election? Do you thank a police officer for taking on a risky job? Have you honorably served in the armed forces? Have you volunteered to help the less fortunate? Have you attended a City Council meeting and expressed your views? Or to keep it aviation oriented, have you volunteered at your local airport, to be a member of the airport board, or to help out when the employees are overwhelmed by snow or other bad weather?

Or instead, have you just complained that "they" aren't getting their jobs done, that "they" aren't enforcing your "rights", that "they" have passed stupid laws, that "they" are impinging on your freedoms? Is your patriotism evidenced only by your flying the American flag from your pickup truck? A big part of good citizenship is participating to help make your country, your state, your county, your city great, not just complaining on social media that it isn't great.

Cary
    Cary,

Absolutely right! We should be proactive and get involved. We are not here for a "free ride" and there is a price to pay. If more people were involved and cared about where this country was going we could make a difference.

Fortunately, a lot of the EAA crowd is on that page.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    What a great terrorist target OSH would be. I learned from a law enforcement source a few years ago that there had been a credible threat that year...
    Terrorists and looneys tend to attack soft targets. A huge percentage of EAA are current or former military or police. Yet EAA requires us to voluntarily disarm to attend their magnet event. Yep, makes sense to me.

If I can carry at the Oshkosh Walmart down the street (and I can) I should be able to also do so on the grounds at AirVenture. Same person, same rules?