Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hangar,hanger

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In hindsight, that last one is a criminal act!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    In hindsight, that last one is a criminal act!
    I'm trying to figure out what the OTHER airplanes are, other than the Focke Wulf. They look like trainers.

Ron Wanttaja

Then there's this one (Dulles Jet Center during a snow storm a decade or so back):

That was one expensive snow storm...

I knew a guy (anybody remember Quades Flight School at MGJ?) who stored his Cub that way to save space in his hangar. Looks like they have some sort of support so it's not sitting on the cowl or crankshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    That was one expensive snow storm...

I knew a guy (anybody remember Quades Flight School at MGJ?) who stored his Cub that way to save space in his hangar. Looks like they have some sort of support so it's not sitting on the cowl or crankshaft.
    Probably locks it down, too. Could be an ugly domino effect, otherwise.

Ron Wanttaja

If you enlarge that photo you can see each cub has a separate rack that chocks the wheels and has a cradle to support the prop. I don't see anything that would secure the prop to the cradle but that seems like it would be a good idea. The cubs might balance in that attitude because they had a forward CG, they were flown solo from the back seat. That balancing act probably would not work for all taildraggers. Also I'm guessing you wouldn't want oil in the engine when stored in that attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by jnealon View Post
    If you enlarge that photo you can see each cub has a separate rack that chocks the wheels and has a cradle to support the prop. I don't see anything that would secure the prop to the cradle but that seems like it would be a good idea. The cubs might balance in that attitude because they had a forward CG, they were flown solo from the back seat. That balancing act probably would not work for all taildraggers. Also I'm guessing you wouldn't want oil in the engine when stored in that attitude.
    I know my Fly Baby, with the tail high, has very little weight on the tailwheel. Pretty sure it'd go all the way over onto the nose, if I let it, and a J-3 is probably about the same. Not sure how stable it might be, so without something to secure the prop (as you suggest), there might be an appalling domino effect if one gets jarred loose.

As far as the oil is concerned, the A65's kidney-shaped oil tank should be able to retain the oil even in that nose-down attitude.
    Name:  c85 nose down.JPG
Views: 773
Size:  51.2 KB
    This is a C85, not an A65, but they should be about the same.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 12-31-2021 at 05:02 PM.

Speaking of domino effect consider how you REMOVE one of those J-3s from the stack. You can't just lower its tail, or the nose will hit the Cub in front of it. Whatever method you use to secure the planes has to allow rolling the first one back far enough so that it can get the tail lowered. However, note that the tailwheel is WELL off the ground...too high to reach up and grab. How do you control the destacking process?
    Name:  J3 unstack.JPG
Views: 798
Size:  89.2 KB
    My guess is that you have to have a pole with a hook on it to snag the tailwheel, and have assistants reach up and recover the airplane as the tail drops. Otherwise, it might go overcenter and slam down to the floor.

I think I'm realizing why this never caught on... :-)

Ron "It's good to have clipart" Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 12-31-2021 at 05:03 PM.

Name:  dolly1 (2).jpg
Views: 539
Size:  92.5 KB

My buddy Bill has a shop with a 20 ft door, how to put a 30 ft wingspan into a 20 ft door. Sideways.

I taxied my 1946 BC12D thru a ditch once, it stood on its nose just fine. And stayed there. We had to pull it down.