Thread: Thanks!

Thanks!

Just a quick thanks to the EAA team who put together the Sport Aviation archive, it is such a nice tool to have and i can't imagine the countless hours of scanning it must have took. It's nice to be able to put the pdf on my iPad for offline reading. Now if only i could find a way to download the webinars so they could be enjoyed during my commute. Thanks team!

Derek Isbell
    EAA#1083711
    Ketchikan, Alaska

It's certainly good stuff - but I wish they had even this years online. I missed a couple of issues due to a move and the archive only goes to 2009. I wish I could get all of 2012! Anyway - there might be a way and I just don't know how to do it. Also - is there a vintage archive? I'd love that.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalsup View Post
    It's certainly good stuff - but I wish they had even this years online. I missed a couple of issues due to a move and the archive only goes to 2009. I wish I could get all of 2012! Anyway - there might be a way and I just don't know how to do it. Also - is there a vintage archive? I'd love that.
    The magazines unfortunately live in two places right now – the archive, which covers 1953 – the first quarter of 2009, and the current “digital edition.” I can’t say at this point when the next batch will be added to the archive, but it will be done.

You can find the archives, as you know, by clicking the link on the EAA Members Only tab after signing in to www.oshkosh365.org.

While all of the issues will eventually be added to the archive, until that happens, you can access issues from January 2009 to the present by going to the current digital edition and then clicking the “Back Issues” tab.

Here’s a direct link to the current issue – you’ll see the “Back Issues” tab toward the top left, alongside the Table of Contents.

http://www.sportaviationonline.org/sportaviation

As for a Vintage archive, I know that VAA Executive Directory is working on that as well - he and I just discussed it yesterday. As I understand it, most if not all of the scanning work is done, he's investigating the tools they'll use to host / share / index them, etc. But don't quote me on that...

-Hal

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by D. Isbell View Post
    ... a way to download the webinars so they could be enjoyed.... (elsewhere)
    What about the webinars ? Is there a way to download for "off-line" viewing?
    For chapter meetings when we don't have a pre planned program, we have talked about playing a webinar.... But we dont have Internet access in our chapter hangar... Or the entire airport for that matter. ;-)

Thanks,
    Bryan

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ysifly2 View Post
    What about the webinars ? Is there a way to download for "off-line" viewing?
    For chapter meetings when we don't have a pre planned program, we have talked about playing a webinar.... But we dont have Internet access in our chapter hangar... Or the entire airport for that matter. ;-)

Thanks,
    Bryan
    At this point, no - while there are plenty of easy-to-find tools on the web that let you capture streaming video for later viewing, they are of questionable legality so that's not something I can recommend. That being said, this is a common request, so I know that it's something that we're aware of, even though there may not be a solution in the works at present.

Wish I had a better answer...!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Ever thought of putting them on DVDs and selling them to folks who would want one?
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Excellent! Thanks for that help for the more recent back issues!