Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Class Medical/SODA

Shocked 3rd Class Medical/SODA

Well..............I started down this rabbet hole one year and six months ago, and today, the verdict came in the mail. I always heard in order to get a Special Issuance Medical, you had to jump through a lot of hoops, well, that's an understatement ! After three separate back and forth exchanges of paper work with Oklahoma City, multiple Dr. visits and "RE DOING" the required stuff, WITH documentation, I can once again commit aviation as a private pilot with a 3rd class medical, with restrictions that is. My initial FAA doctor visit to get the ball rolling was in March of 2018, so, my new medical expires March of 2019, so glad I didn't start in October !!! And I will have to "RE DO" all that medical stuff before the end of March of 2020 and every 12 months from now on. I truly believed they wanted me to just give up but since I don't really give a crap about any other, "hobbies/activities", that wasn't going to happen. Now, I just need to go fly.
    Bob, yes, it was really worth it Crawford

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    And I will have to "RE DO" all that medical stuff before the end of March of 2020 and every 12 months from now on.
    Why?? Now that you have your SI, you can go Basic Med. Would Basic Med not work for you? If it does, you'll never need to get a medical again.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Why?? Now that you have your SI, you can go Basic Med. Would Basic Med not work for you? If it does, you'll never need to get a medical again.
    This. In my eyes, every year you apply for a new medical, is another chance for the FAA to deny it. The first time you encounter a tough medical, switch to BasicMed, then if you no longer qualify for BasicMed, fly light sport. The biggest limitation to flying BasicMed is you are limited to 5 passengers, and if you have more than 5 non-pilot friends, you should to obtain a CFI certificate rather than a larger plane.
    1978 Grumman AA1C w/O-320

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    That's what I thought but the letter states that; every 12 months I have to have ; a current cardiovascular evaluation and current lab report; a current exercise stress test; a current obstructive sleep apnea status report. None of these are going to be a problem other than having to do them and get the reports in before the expiration date. I'm going to talk with my Aero Med Dr. to see what he thinks. I've fought this battle this long, I'm not gonna stop now !
    Bob, just plain Bob, or is it, plane Bob ?

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    That's what I thought but the letter states that; every 12 months I have to have ; a current cardiovascular evaluation and current lab report; a current exercise stress test; a current obstructive sleep apnea status report. None of these are going to be a problem other than having to do them and get the reports in before the expiration date. I'm going to talk with my Aero Med Dr. to see what he thinks. I've fought this battle this long, I'm not gonna stop now !
    Bob, just plain Bob, or is it, plane Bob ?
    These requirements are to maintain a 3rd Class Medical. They are not required for BasicMed.
    Mel, DAR since the Last Century, Specializing in Light-Sport and Experimental Aircraft. Certificated over 1,100 Light-Sport & Experimental aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by melann View Post
    These requirements are to maintain a 3rd Class Medical. They are not required for BasicMed.
    Well Hot Dang ! That's the kind of flying I do anyway, I would have kept flying Sport Pilot if the Cessna 150 would have been included, a 172 would be nice once in a while just for comfort. I'm going to investigate this further just to see what's involved so I don't screw up. I feel better already.
    Bob, it ain't over till it's over Crawford

Well, after some internet searching, FAA.org, AOPA, etc. I think I have everything I need to go BasicMed when the time comes. I did get a little conflicting info about being able to be a safety pilot with BasicMed, but I don't foresee that being a problem.
    Bob

There is no question I am going the BasicMed route when I am able to get back into flying. The only issue is my doctor (also my AME) recently retired. My new doctor is employed directly by the local hospital, which has been buying every independent practice in the area. I have been told by another pilot that his doctor (employed by the same medical group) refused to sign off on BasicMed due to liability issues.

Mike, if you have a hard time finding a dr that will sign off on BasicMed, I would think an AME could do it without making it a 3rd class. Although, insurance probably won't cover it and the AME will cost more. I don't think my regular dr nor my cardiologist will have any problem signing me off because I've been seeing them for years. I know some doctors, especially if they don't know anything about flying, are wary of signing anything they don't understand. My sleep dr didn't want to give me a good report about wearing my cpap because when I went to A/V, I used a different machine that didn't have the sim card, so there was no record of me using a cpap for a week. She got really pissed at me, talking about loosing her license and all, she stormed out of the examination room I was in, but we smoothed it over. She and I had a little, come to jesus meeting !
    Bob, I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel and I don't think it's a train, Crawford

There is an AME a couple counties over that I will go to if I can't get anyone here to sign off. I don't have access to a plane right now anyway, so I am not in any hurry.