Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Lakes

Great Lakes

I am interested in buying a Great Lakes project. It is mostly there, but needs an engine.
    Has anyone ever mounted a 450 hp radial on a Great Lakes?

A local guy, Vince Marenelli, now gone west had one with a 220 Continental and it had a really short nose. He said it was still nose heavy. Not saying impossible, just going to be really hard.Dave

I could always add a Cont. 220 to the tail.

Isn't the gross weight of a regular GL somewhere around the weight of a 450 hp radial?

Biggest motor I've personally seen on a GL was a 220 Continental. I saw a picture of one that had a Vendeneyev M14 on it and it looked really sharp - but I would wonder about just building a Model 12 at that point rather than a Great Lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalsup View Post
    I saw a picture of one that had a Vendeneyev M14 on it and it looked really sharp
    If it's the red and white one, that's a Chinese radial out of a CJ-6, less horsepower and weight than the M14.

Quote Originally Posted by smutny View Post
    If it's the red and white one, that's a Chinese radial out of a CJ-6, less horsepower and weight than the M14.
    That's the one. Thought it was an M14

For an airplane like a Great Lakes, weight is the enemy. The wings were designed to fly well with their original max gross and adding weight to the airframe will just make those wings fly worse. Horsepower will produce climb, but in cruise you will be flying at a higher angle of attack and burning more fuel than the same engine installation on an airframe that is a better match to the operating weight. And the glide will be even closer to what a falling anvil does.

With higher weight, the stall speed and landing speed will go up. The airframe load "G" limits will be lower. So you may not be able to do the maneuvers that you want and you might not enjoy the new handling characteristics at all.

On an 1800lb airplane, adding 100 lbs is 5.5%. In airplanes, that's a lot.

The best advice might be to track down one of the radial installations and try to get to fly in it. Hate to see someone spend 4000 hours on a project and not be happy with the finished result.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

The Huosai 6 and M-14 are actually almost identical with the M14 having a slightly larger nose case. The Huosai is 285hp while the M14 is up to 360hp. Huosai also made a M14 clone that has up to 420hp. The main difference in the engines is the prop reduction drive ratio. They are great engines and I put over 450 trouble free hours on my CJ6. Don

Big engine in Great Lakes project

Have you ever flown in a Great Lakes? Do yourself a big favor and get a little time in one. I have many hours flying this sweet, smooth capable performer, both in the 140hp and 180hp versions. Both of these will do lengthy acro series without losing altitude. It's an energy conservation exercise. The more weight you add, the more pleasure you subtract. Adding a big engine up front would, in my opinion, make a lot of hard work out of something that should be a pleasure.