Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Accident recording

Banned
    I'm getting somewhat fearful--not for me but for others with respect to pattern entrance. I got my private and commercial in the mid-70's at an uncontrolled field. Am I the only one in North America who was taught to enter on the non-active side of the runway at circuit height at a 90 degree angle to the downwind with the appropriate call out, "Maple traffic, XXX, Cessna 182 overhead the field, joining mid downwind left (or right) for 32 Maple." Just askin', am I missing something?

Fear not Floats, there's two of us. I use the "midfield entry to down wind" all the time-today in fact. I use whichever entry suits where I am relative to the field and for traffic separation. Since I rarely have a radio with me so "see and avoid" is my biggest asset in the pattern. When I do have my radio, I hear position calls of other aircraft, and subsequent turns etc. , with what appears to be no pilot observation at all. I've flown many "formation finals" with guys out of the larger controlled airports because they're used to flying their radio rather than looking for traffic on their own. I have always seen them coming-so far-and been able to react. But I understand your concern. We have become reliant on someone else's eyes and info. Unfortunately some have paid the ultimate price for this reliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I'm getting somewhat fearful--not for me but for others with respect to pattern entrance. I got my private and commercial in the mid-70's at an uncontrolled field. Am I the only one in North America who was taught to enter on the non-active side of the runway at circuit height at a 90 degree angle to the downwind with the appropriate call out, "Maple traffic, XXX, Cessna 182 overhead the field, joining mid downwind left (or right) for 32 Maple." Just askin', am I missing something?
    When I received primary training in 1990 the "cross mid-field for left downwind" entry was taught and commonly flown. But in the past decade or so it has fallen out of favor as the 45* entry to left downwind has proven to be safer for both high and low-wing aircraft and is now the entry advocated by the AIM and up-to-date instructors.

I will occassionaly use the midfield option at our well-equipped but un-towered airport if I'm confident there is no traffic conflict. But it is maddening to see pilots entering downwind over the field at a heavily populated Saturday morning breakfast. Crashing a line of traffic on downwind by entering over midfield means somebody will get cut off and evasive action will have to be taken by an aircraft already established on downwind. I just don't understand what is happening in a pilot's brain when they willingly create chaos in this manner when adding a couple of minutes of quality flying time to join the flow on the 45* entry would enhance safety and prevent conflicts. But it happens every Saturday....even at the airport where jumpers are landing at mid-field...wow....

Maybe they were trained in the 70's........
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 12-24-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    When I received primary training in 1990 the "cross mid-field for left downwind" entry was taught and commonly flown. But in the past decade or so it has fallen out of favor as the 45* entry to left downwind has proven to be safer for both high and low-wing aircraft and is now the entry advocated by the AIM and up-to-date instructors.
    Maybe they were trained in the 70's........
    From a logical standpoint, I can see the merits of the 45 degree approach to an uncontrolled field but only with respect to the fact that not everyone flies the downwind at the same equa-distance from the active. With the mid-field approach, I also learned those procedures that would allow for safe entry and proper separation in the event of high traffic situations.

As to your"maybe they were trained in the 70's" deeply cutting to the quick remark, let me just say, I learned the golden rule of airmanship--see and be seen; I can still gloriously map read; I can still dead reckon navigate; I can still use a VOR to and from; I can still look at a body of water and know the wind direction. I don't constantly have to keep my head in an IPad or on some glass to know where I am and what to do. (Yes, I use a GPS and Foreflight with IPad but they only compliment my skills, not the other way around!!)

On the topic of bolting every gadget into the panel, last year I think, we have a pilot fly down final watching all of the fancy displays right to impact on the runway. Never flared.

I was taught 360 overhead approaches. In a couple of airplanes that I fly, if traffic permits, it works real well to use "G" to bleed off speed to throw out the gear and flaps before leveling the wings and flaring. The local towered airport accomodates this whenever they can. And at non-towered airports you might hear the call "On the break for runway XX".

The other thing that you might want to listen for is the formation of two or more ships that fly downwind and break to base in sequence. You might hear lead call on downwind as a flight of X. That means that rather than you being #2 for the runway you are #X+1 and you likely want to slow down. That said, if that type of flight knows what they are doing, you should see multiple airplanes on the runway at the same time and they should get out of the way relatively quickly.

But the point is that there is more than one way to arrive and depart and the FAA has not diagrammed all of the accepted practices. So take what you see in their book with a grain of salt and as someone above said look out the windshield, keep aware of your relationship to the airport, and fly the airplane.

Merry Christmas,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    From a logical standpoint, I can see the merits of the 45 degree approach to an uncontrolled field but only with respect to the fact that not everyone flies the downwind at the same equa-distance from the active. With the mid-field approach, I also learned those procedures that would allow for safe entry and proper separation in the event of high traffic situations.

As to your"maybe they were trained in the 70's" deeply cutting to the quick remark, let me just say, I learned the golden rule of airmanship--see and be seen; I can still gloriously map read; I can still dead reckon navigate; I can still use a VOR to and from; I can still look at a body of water and know the wind direction. I don't constantly have to keep my head in an IPad or on some glass to know where I am and what to do. (Yes, I use a GPS and Foreflight with IPad but they only compliment my skills, not the other way around!!)
    Was just having a little fun with the 70's remark, hope it didn't cut too deep.

Yep, I really don't know where the guys eyes/ears are when they blindly cut across mid-field and straight into a fur ball lined up on downwind. The reason the 45 entry with planes in trail seems to work safely in heavy traffic is it gives us a chance to view the big picture and hopefully figure out where everybody is located. It is also easy to bail out with a right-hand 180 if it appears a slot has closed up as we approach downwind. Having 6-8 planes in a non-towered pattern at the same time can be stressful if everyone doesn't have their head on a swivel! But it has been my experience that most pilots handle this situation in a professional manner.

VOR...what's that??
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 12-24-2013 at 11:09 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Is this what every here is talking about?

http://www.aopa.org/AOPA-Live.aspx?watch={384817B3-70C4-4147-9C4C-2A5517FD5DEE}

[QUOTE=1600vw;37707]Is this what every here is talking about?

http://www.aopa.org/AOPA-Live.aspx?w...-2A5517FD5DEE}

1600 , yes that is the one. It was one of the featured articles on the AOPA website 3 days ago, but then was moved off.
    What were you looking at with the rwy 42 ?

And have a good Christmas. As for me, it is cold this morning, around 0, but is a beautiful blue sky day and I'm going skiing!
    We have the best early season snow that we have had in about 6 years, and the town is starting to get pretty full. I haven't been out to the airport in a few days, but I'll bet it is wall to wingtip with diesel stinkers.

I'm still waiting for Santa to get around to bringing that P-51 that I asked for a few years back. I know I have been good enough for it.
    On a broader scale I'd settle for Peace On Earth. but not much chance of that either.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 12-25-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    1600 , yes that is the one. It was one of the featured articles on the AOPA website 3 days ago, but then was moved off.
    What were you looking at with the rwy 42 ?

And have a good Christmas. As for me, it is cold this morning, around 0, but is a beautiful blue sky day and I'm going skiing!
    We have the best early season snow that we have had in about 6 years, and the town is starting to get pretty full. I haven't been out to the airport in a few days, but I'll bet it is wall to wingtip with diesel stinkers.

I'm still waiting for Santa to get around to bringing that P-51 that I asked for a few years back. I know I have been good enough for it.
    On a broader scale I'd settle for Peace On Earth. but not much chance of that either.
    Cold here to, was around 0 here.
    I was reading two different things and got them mixed up. I have no idea how I came up with runway 42. No idea. To much holiday spirit I do believe.

I was lucky and got me a new airplane for Christmas. Sonerai 2 stretch built as a single or a 1ls for a taller pilot and continental engine. I will not have it until after the first of the year but she is mine.

Merry Christmas to everyone.