Thread: New HBO WWII 8th Air Force Mini-Series in Development

New HBO WWII 8th Air Force Mini-Series in Development

Banned
    Don't think so. I mean how many flyable B-17's, 109's, Foch Wolf's, and Lancs are there around? And the expense of them? With Speilberg involved I'm sure the CGI and models will be the most realistic they can be. My particular pet peeve in depictions like this is the use of real footage for which there is a lot-makes the production look cheap, as per the early 60's movie and tv show 12 O'Clock High. I'm sure they'll use some real planes for static tarmac and taxiing shots as per Memphis Belle.

BTW, did you get your passport yet re Hamilton Show as per my reply post on the Mossie thread? Would be great to meet and see you.

I can think of at least nine airworthy B-17s: Aluminum Overcast, Fuddy Duddy, Sentimental Journey, Movie Memphis Belle, Nine-O-Nine, Texas Raiders, Chuckie, Thunderbird, and Yankee Lady. There are at least two airworthy 109E's - the Russell Group's in Canada and Paul Allen's in Washington State. I believe there are a handful of Hispano Buchons still airworthy. There are at least two 190 replicas flying - Rudy Frasca's and Jerry Yagen's. There are two Lancasters that are airworthy with another very close. Dozens of Mustangs and at least half a dozen Thunderbolts. When they did the filming of the Hollywood Memphis Belle movie, they had different nose art painted on both sides of the airplanes so that they essentially could have double the number of B-17s when shot from different angles. They could do the same thing today.

Realistically it would never happen, as I highly doubt you could get all the different owners to agree to be involved, and the production costs would be very high, but it could be done.

Zack

PS: No passport yet, but there's a very good chance I'll be there!

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    Probably be just as many real airplanes as there were real Saturn Vs, Apollo spacecraft, and LMs in Hanks' previous mini-series....

*WELL DONE* CGI, like "From the Earth to the Moon," is fine. This includes not only have them looking right, but moving realistically.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    but moving realistically.

Ron Wanttaja
    And that's really the key in my opinion. The airplanes didn't look too bad in Red Tails, but when they can climb like SpaceShipOne at full burn and maneuver like Sean Tucker, it completely ruins it for me.