Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Page View Post
    If you have Google Earth Pro (the installed desktop version), you can see historical imagery by moving a date slider, and the date on the imagery is accurate. Unfortunately the online version seems to only show the latest imagery, and the copyright date doesn't tell you when it was taken.
    If you are the inquiring type you can see the storage yard for all the porta potties at Waupon and Ripple.

The cart pit is located just north of the exhibit buildings. There won't be any deliveries there until right before the show. I usually end up shuttling carts and scooters down to Vintage before the show and taking them back on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Those "snot nosed CAP cadets" have done more good for Oshkosh attendees than most.
    Relax, Ron. Simma down now. I was teasing. I was one of them in the early 1960's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindberg View Post
    Relax, Ron. Simma down now. I was teasing. I was one of them in the early 1960's.
    It certainly did not read like you were teasing, not one bit. Saying that you were once a cadet does not grant permission to malign them. They base right outside of the Warbirds area, so I have plenty of opportunity to see them in action. They are, almost without exception, well disciplined and courteous. Sometimes they try too hard to follow their instructions to the letter (which has included attempts to keep me away from my own airplane getting ready for the airshow). On the other hand, I am not too sure I want them to "interpret" orders at their age. This includes, by the way, instructions that prohibit them from offering rides.

Following up on the other thread, my wife has been at OSH every year but two since I started attending. I fly in and she drives up with the "glamping" impedimentia. We camp at Warbirds and she volunteers at forums and, more recently, with the WOA simulators. There is no way I would be able to keep up my very expensive hobby without her full support. I do not believe that she is unique in this support at all, consistent with what Ron and others have posted earlier.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

There are times that some of those kids look pretty fried by the end of the day. I’m sure humping it back from the UL area and other areas after a long day in the sun is no fun.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    There are times that some of those kids look pretty fried by the end of the day. I’m sure humping it back from the UL area and other areas after a long day in the sun is no fun.
    A buddy and I were out on the warbird line a few years ago and got absolutely shouted down by a 14 year old in para-military garb. Our crime was crossing an unmarked line in the grass. I would have liked to speak to whoever was coaching that young man. Additional training would have been useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    A buddy and I were out on the warbird line a few years ago and got absolutely shouted down by a 14 year old in para-military garb. Our crime was crossing an unmarked line in the grass. I would have liked to speak to whoever was coaching that young man. Additional training would have been useful.
    I think this applies for any position that is looking after crowd lines. We are all too familiar with folks on scooters zipping up and down the flight lines chastising any poor fool for so much as crossing their pinkie toe over the burn line.

The problem here is the chastising. It's often done in a manner that doesn't make friends, and there is no effort to engender good will or think bigger picture.

After seeing this happen all too often, I decided to take a different tack when I volunteered on the flight line. When I pulled up on an offending foot or purse, I'd invariably get "the look" - you know, the "oh, God... here comes Captain Underpants to yell at me."

Instead of barking at them to stay behind the line, I explained why. I explained about the special arrangement that the EAA has with the FAA, and if the EAA was lax in its enforcement of the line, that special arrangement would cease to exist. The first guy I did that to was this grizzled guy that was gearing up to curse me out for being a rent-a-cop. But when I approached, I did so with a smile, a hey, how you all doing today, and if you wouldn't mind staying behind the line because XYZ, his response was, "Oh... wow. Okay, yeah, I'll definitely do that. I've been coming here for years and years, and not one person has ever explained why. I appreciate that, and I'll be sure to keep me and my neighbors behind the line."

Made for a great experience all around, and I got to meet and chat with all sorts of great folks.

Of course, there was also that one time someone lost control of their 4-year old, who went sprinting across the line like Usain Bolt. THAT was exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    It certainly did not read like you were teasing, not one bit. Saying that you were once a cadet does not grant permission to malign them.
    Get a life. I was teasing. Also I do not need your "permission" to make a statement. I said that I was just teasing. That should be good enough. Buy the way I was also a senior member for 8 years and was a qualified SAR pilot who also gave many cadets theit first ride in aircraft. So, calm down and forgetaboutit.

Can anyone confirm if the Aeromart Tent is going to be operational this year? I’m heading to Wisconsin in a couple of weeks and would like to drag some items with me to sell his summer but makes no sense if it’s a victim of COVID restrictions.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

I just asked my friend who used to be the chair of Aeromart. He says "I think so, but I'll find out for you."