Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: So we're renting out flight line space now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    ... Like some of our other posters, I am somewhat put off by having a VIP chalet area, that is just sold to the high bidder, rather than a true ip like perhaps Bob Hoover. Maybe the EAA can profit so much that a few of these are worthwhile, but I hope it does not grow so much that it takes up a lot of prime space that used to be open to anyone.

I liked EAA when we were pretty much all Indians, and not when there are few chiefs who bought their status and all the rest are 2nd class. ...
    I've gone to Oshkosh about half the years since 1989. I've taken note many times that Oshkosh was the only big airshow I've been to that didn't have chalets for "the highest bidder," as Bill said. I liked that. Their absence was one of the things that defined Oshkosh for me. The "convention" seemed to be for the membership, not for the fat cats.

Surely there was pressure from some over the years to have chalets. There are plenty of people who could afford them and would like to watch the airshow from one. But our Association, under its former leadership, apparently (and no, I have no proof) resisted the pressure. The new leadership is different, and now we have chalets replacing some homebuilt parking. I do not like what the new leadership has done.

Mike E

This is capitalism. This is freedom. EAA has never signed a contract with me saying they'll never change, or that they'll always stick to homebuilts. And they have changed. That's their right, and I respect it. However, since this is a (mostly) free country, and since there are seemingly so many disgruntled folks, I don't see why we can't just start another "EAA". And if we DID come up with another EAA, that doesn't mean we couldn't also still belong to EAA! (There is enough room in my wallet for two cards!) I value EAA. But I also understand some's frustration. So go and start another EAA.
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

Actually, here is a better idea:

I understand all the frustration. I hate telling members of an organization to just grin and bear it. After all, doesn't EAA sell MEMBERSHIPS instead of "customer programs"? Meaning we have a say, right? Right? So I just thought of something else than the just-quit-if-you-don't-like-it approach: maybe we as experimenters should more actively recruit people into experimenting (I know you're thinking, Yeah, duh!, but please bear with me). These people don't have to be non-pilots. And I mean heavy-duty recruiting! Fly them to the mountains, beaches. Fly 'em everywhere interesting. Pull out all the chocks! And if they aren't pilots, then take them to nice FBOs and joke with them about the TSA. Praise and extol the virtues of experimentals! Then get 'em to sign up under EAA. In other words, change the demographics of EAA! Then EAA will change---for the better!
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 06-18-2012 at 06:16 AM. Reason: mispellled a worrd
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

Quote Originally Posted by WingsAloft View Post
    I understand all the frustration. I hate telling members of an organization to just grin and bear it. After all, doesn't EAA sell MEMBERSHIPS instead of "customer programs"? Meaning we have a say, right? Right? So I just thought of something else than the just-quit-if-you-don't-like-it approach: maybe we as experimenters should more actively recruit people into experimenting (I know you're thinking, Yeah, duh!, but please bear with me). These people don't have to be non-pilots. And I mean heavy-duty recruiting! Fly them to the mountains, beaches. Fly 'em everywhere interesting. Pull out all the chocks! And if they aren't pilots, then take them to nice FBOs and joke with them about the TSA. Praise and extol the virtues of experimentals! Then get 'em to sign up under EAA. In other words, change the demographics of EAA! Then EAA will change---for the better!
    You may be interested in reading this thread.........

bob

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=87350
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Quote Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
    You may be interested in reading this thread.........

bob

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=87350

I often wonder how kit assemblers are viewed by prototype experimental aircraft fabricators/builders. Probably the same as assemblers view production aircraft owners. I read one post were a assembler wondered what they would do if Van's went out of bussines? It would not be a factor for a Aviation fabricator. I don't really like to read that web site as bad advice runs rampet. Clearly some do not read the FAA 4313. Bad sheetmetal job, "Put some putty in it". There are a few real execelent aircraft fabricators on there if you look around the site.
    Last edited by RV8505; 06-18-2012 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    I often wonder how kit assemblers are viewed by prototype experimental aircraft fabricators/builders. Probably the same as assemblers view production aircraft owners. I read one post were a assemblers wondered what they would do if Van's went out of bussines? It would not be a factor for a Aviation fabricator. I don't really like to read that web site as bad advice runs rampet. Clearly some do not read the FAA 4313. Bad sheetmetal job. "Put some putty in it". There are a few real execelent aircraft fabricators on there if you look around the site.
    Darn it Chuck, get out of my head. It's crowded enough in there without you climbing in and reading my mind.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

EAA Staff
    No, not a large part. 12-15 spots. And more than 75 spots are being added to homebuilt parking and camping this year because of demand in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Knapinski View Post
    No, not a large part. 12-15 spots. And more than 75 spots are being added to homebuilt parking and camping this year because of demand in those areas.
    Thank you Dick. 75 spots? That's a nice little addition. I can't wait to be occupying two of them some day!
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Dick, Chad, and anyone else who might know,

The flyer that started this thread shows the chalets as being removed from the flightline, more to the west, adjacent to Wittman road. I've just seen a photo of the area taken the other day, showing the concrete going in, and while it's difficult to tell from the picture, it looks to me like they are going to be right on the flightline, not back just east of Wittman road.

Can someone please clarify?
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Were there any additions to the shower facilities in HBP and HBC?