Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canards in turbulence

Canards in turbulence

What's the difference in flight from the typical light civil ? How much weather will they take, rain Ice Etc.

Your question is very vague since the handling characteristics are going to depend upon the specific configuration. If they aren't certified to fly into icing, then you have no business being there. To be quite honest, there really isn't a single engine light plane I would fly into anything beyond very mild icing. There's nothing we do in GA that is important enough to chance it instead of waiting for it to pass.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Tom - from what I understand turbulence isn't any more of a problem than in any other light aircraft.

I seem to remember that the original airfoil design used for the canard on the Long EZ did have a problem with losing a lot of lift in the rain, the Roncz canard is supposed to fix that issue.

Tom, they have a few idiosycracies but then all airplanes do. So you just get the proper training and pay attention. I don't think it's something I would want for hard IFR flying and like any non-equipped airplane, structural icing is an emergency situation requiring immediate action.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Tom, they have a few idiosycracies but then all airplanes do. So you just get the proper training and pay attention. I don't think it's something I would want for hard IFR flying and like any non-equipped airplane, structural icing is an emergency situation requiring immediate action.
    Some aircraft are more tolerant of a little ice, and allow you more time to get out of it, how would you rate the canards. Will a little light ice cause you to come out of the sky like a lawn dart? or will you have time to safely retreat?

I've created a log in at EZ.org, but it never allows me to log in again or post.
    Last edited by Tom Downey; 01-17-2012 at 04:45 PM.

I built and fly a VariEze and I can tell you that it handles turbulence quite well. I think that's due to the relatively high wing loading and something about sitting between the two wings (the canard contributes ~25% of the total lift). Anyway, it's a lot more comfortable in turbulence than the Cessna, Beech, and Piper light planes I've flown.

Canard contamination from ice or even a heavy layer of bugs can cause a strong pitch force that may be more than the trim system can compensate for. Not a comfortable situation but the airplane isn't going to fall out of the sky. I've flown in rain and the pitch change is obvious but easily trimmed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    I've created a log in at EZ.org, but it never allows me to log in again or post.
    Similar thing happened to me, I tried a couple times over the last few years, it said I had an account but my posts never showed up & nobody ever replied to my PMs.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    They can run their forum however they like, of course, but on this one, everyone's opinion is welcome. You and Mike are both valuable contributors here - enough said.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
    I'm guessing someone noticed you have a need to post on every subject and that's not what that forum is all about. It's about those who ask of those who know without all the chatter and theories on every subject. There are other canard forums for that and mostly frequented by the wannabees and forever builders. The experts mostly ignore them. Sorry, it just gets annoying to some of us looking for a real exchange of information less all the unsolicited opinions from forum junkies.
    Say what??? I have never posted on that forum, as I was unable to get access. As to posting on every subject, I don't know what generated that comment as I generally keep to the homebuiding & maintenance sections here.